Nintendo Planning Larger 3DS, Wii U Price Expected at 30,000 Yen -- Ni

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt a bigger screen, it would be very hard on the battery. If it's true, I'm going to be extremely pissed off that Nintendo will do the same thing as they did with DSi and announce a clearly superior version extremely close to it's original launch. Why couldn't they offer this huge version when 3DS launched ?

DSi XL is more of a preference thing and not a clear upgrade. Some people like the larger screens and system. Others think it's too big, bulky, and the screens make the games look bad.

Personally I think the XL looks great but I never bothered to get one.

Reactions: 4 people

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo isn't announcing prices at E3 though. At least that's what I've read.
Where are they getting these numbers from?
@_______@
A Japanese magazine called Nikkei, they were the first to leak info about the XL IIRC.
No one knows what will happen at E3, you usually don't expect prices at E3 though...
You wouldn't? Why not? Sony did it last year and it was very well received.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not usually, well from everyone except for Nintendo.
Again, who knows?
Just like the Vita the Wii U had an early reveal without pricing.

But when the Vita was really revealed it was announced with a kick ass price point and everyone loved it.

Like at this point, if the system is coming out later this year, it should be priced at E3.

Reactions: 1 person

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now how bad will 3DS games look on this new screen?
Fixed.
The point of his post was to note that DS games look crappy on the 3DS, so they would look worse on the 3DS XL (based on his logic, at least). 3DS games won't look worse unless they change the resolution. I was shocked and in awe when I first used the DSi XL, the games looked great and the console was comfortable to hold. Months later, I bought one to replace my broken DSi. Worth it. Very worth it.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not a surprise for the bigger 3DS. If the specs are upgraded, I can see the 3DS sales going down almost (but not completely) like when the price drop was announced. If the console includes a CPP, it's quite a clear alternative for those who don't carry their consoles outside the house. What I'd like to see is what the ideal playing distance is for the new XL console. Somehow the 3DS is a bit hard for me in regards to a nice distance (not to mention the tremble of buses and the likes making the 3D unusable (damn you Finnish winter!)).

If the WiiU is priced at $350 (350-400€ in Finland for sure (taxes + "exchange rates" are killing me)), i'll leave it on hold. Looking at the Wii and how I just got it a year or so ago, I don't regret it at all. Sure it has a few party games that I didn't have at home (a few friends did though, so didn't really miss out that bad), but considering the pricing of competition at the moment (PS3/360 are great consoles with huge game libraries (most new to Wii owners!)), the WiiU will need quite a few titles to get a rocket start.

If only they'd give us full games to play (demos of them) and release Nintendo first party games like Zelda and Mario for the console, the competition could get interesting very soon.

ps. I bought the DSiXL out of a whim a year or so ago and haven't regretted it. Must more nicer for the eye (bigger text!) and easier to hold for an adult (my DSL is kinda cramped compared to my hands).

D

Deleted_171835

Awww yeah. I would definitely buy a 3DS with two circle-pads, a larger screen and a better battery.

As for the Wii U's price, $350 ain't bad. I won't be buying it at launch, though.

Reactions: 2 people

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not five hundred and ninety nine US dollars bad but it's still like (rounding the price to $350) $100 more than a PS3 and $150 more than a Xbox 360.

If it was within $50 of them then I'd consider but if this is true then I really won't bother with the system at all. Well I wasn't planning to anyway but my opinion is solidified (if it's true).
I think generally consoles cost more in Japan.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed.
The point of his post was to note that DS games look crappy on the 3DS, so they would look worse on the 3DS XL (based on his logic, at least). 3DS games won't look worse unless they change the resolution. I was shocked and in awe when I first used the DSi XL, the games looked great and the console was comfortable to hold. Months later, I bought one to replace my broken DSi. Worth it. Very worth it.
I like the way DS games look on the 3DS.
May have something to do with how I skipped the Lite, though. Meh.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed.
I don't see how skipping the Lite would factor it.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed.
DS Phat had only two light options. It didn't look very good.
So I skipped to the 3DS, and it looked better.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS Phat had only two light options. It didn't look very good.
So I skipped to the 3DS, and it looked better.
That's just lighting, it has nothing to do with the actual visuals. 3DS still looks worse than the DS in terms of DS visuals, but I can see why one might believe otherwise.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only 20 hours left to find out. Since it's coming from Nikkei, they have been right on numerous occasions. There were the first to leak about the Wii U, 3DS, DS XL and much more probably.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just lighting, it has nothing to do with the actual visuals. 3DS still looks worse than the DS in terms of DS visuals, but I can see why one might believe otherwise.

Have you played a DS Phat? It's horrific looking. My friend cracked out a DSi one day and I was like "What the fuck how does this look so shitty". Lighting really makes the visuals pop.

EDIT: I'm talking about back lighting and not in-game lighting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1