Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well of course, that's why everyone was waiting for the "official details" to be released for so long. But all of these things were said by Nintendo officials. It was a verbal agreement between them and the consumer, a promise, basically. And yet they broke all of them. When they say something, and it goes on official record for everyone to see, it becomes more than just a statement, it becomes a promise.
But you are still going to buy one, and in the end, thats all that matters
smile.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well of course, that's why everyone was waiting for the "official details" to be released for so long. But all of these things were said by Nintendo officials. It was a verbal agreement between them and the consumer, a promise, basically. And yet they broke all of them. When they say something, and it goes on official record for everyone to see, it becomes more than just a statement, it becomes a promise.

But you are still going to buy one, and in the end, thats all that matters
smile.gif

Of course I am, half of those features meant nothing to me. Why the hell would I want DVD playback? I have a DVD player. But you must all realise, I'm not the one who cares. I'm giving out the facts of what happened and why people are upset. I'm purely saying these things as a spectator, a reporter giving the facts of the issues. Don't for any second think I'm arguing for any particular side. I'm merely saying I understand why and how people could be upset.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are complaining about the lack of DVD playback... Statistically, most homes already have at least one DVD player, especially those that can afford video game consoles, which are considerably more expensive than a DVD player. I, for one, don't think that I should have to pay the extra money for DVD functionality when I already have a player. If DVD were new tech that people didn't already have, it'd be a different story, because people would have something to gain from that inclusion. The way things are, though, Nintendo would have raised the price for the masses to please the few; that is bad for both the company and the consumer.

As for people complaining about the price point, Nintendo said that it wouldn't be more than $250. They never said it would be less, and anybody who assumed they meant that were reading too far into what was said. Furthermore, it's standard for early adopters to pay more. Nintendo will, no doubt, lower the price, after a while, and if the price bothers you then you can wait.

The dumbest comment I've heard (though not here) was "I can't believe the Wii is $250. Nintendo said it would be less, so that is expensive. I've lost all faith in Nintendo, so I'm just gonna get a PS3 instead." This brings up a good point, though this point is not the one that this person was trying to make. Even at its price, the Wii is still the least expensive console on the market. People are like, "OMG, if I get a couple of games and an extra Wiimote, it's more than the 360, so I might as well get that", and they don't even bother to figure in equivalent expenses for the 360. The fact is, you're not going to get any next-gen console for less than the Wii, so you shouldn't really complain about the price if you can still afford to get it, or if you have an XBox 360.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For those who are complaining about the lack of DVD playback... Statistically, most homes already have at least one DVD player, especially those that can afford video game consoles, which are considerably more expensive than a DVD player. I, for one, don't think that I should have to pay the extra money for DVD functionality when I already have a player. If DVD were new tech that people didn't already have, it'd be a different story, because people would have something to gain from that inclusion. The way things are, though, Nintendo would have raised the price for the masses to please the few; that is bad for both the company and the consumer.

As for people complaining about the price point, Nintendo said that it wouldn't be more than $250. They never said it would be less, and anybody who assumed they meant that were reading too far into what was said. Furthermore, it's standard for early adopters to pay more. Nintendo will, no doubt, lower the price, after a while, and if the price bothers you then you can wait.

The dumbest comment I've heard (though not here) was "I can't believe the Wii is $250. Nintendo said it would be less, so that is expensive. I've lost all faith in Nintendo, so I'm just gonna get a PS3 instead." This brings up a good point, though this point is not the one that this person was trying to make. Even at its price, the Wii is still the least expensive console on the market. People are like, "OMG, if I get a couple of games and an extra Wiimote, it's more than the 360, so I might as well get that", and they don't even bother to figure in equivalent expenses for the 360. The fact is, you're not going to get any next-gen console for less than the Wii, so you shouldn't really complain about the price if you can still afford to get it, or if you have an XBox 360.

Gamers get stupid when it comes to "breaking their expectations".

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
While what you said is true enough, I don't think it's the lack of the features that bothers people, not for the most part anyway. I believe it to be the principle of the the thing. People trusted Nintendo's word, and they let the people down on that level. And for the record, originally before they made their "less than $250" statements, they had stated that it would be close to Nintendo's other historical pricing of $199. Which I believe is the fandom's major gripe in this particular situation.

Lets whip out a metaphor for a moment: think of Nintendo as a friend who said they might meet you for something later in that day at a certain time, and then completely stood you up leaving you alone and waiting for quite some time. In that particular scenario the person is often not angry that the person never showed, as it was never official, but rather that they expected said friend to show (based on what that friend had said), and they didn't. It really is the principle of the thing. People don't like to be let down.

So while Renegade_R is somewhat right, and it is about expectations, those expectations arn't based on speculation, but instead are based on actual so-called official statements that were made prior to changes. It's both the fandom's fault for believing them, and Nintendo's fault for raising said expectations by giving us faulty information.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, Nintendo has more or less been rushing to get this console together on time since they didnt even have the hardware for the controllers until E3.
Heck they had the tech about a week or less before it started if I heard right.

Might be a chance Nintendo might still prevail in the expectations of the consumer.
Maybe they said it on purpose to surprise everyone later.
Or maybe they didnt expect everything to be as overhyped as they thought it would be.

Either way, they havent exactly "lied" to us, the console isnt even out yet.
This is just what we've come to expect.
Could be nintendo screwed up and they announced less features than they shoulda (not very likely)
Or maybe the other companies that said they would help with DVD playback and others droped out at the last minute.
Could have been anything.
Right now, I say its all still speculation.
Nintendo still has a chance to fix things.
If they can get their Wii controller working perfect a week before E3, Im sure they could fix things a bit too.
Though they did have a demo of the controller sometime last year or earlier in the year I think. But If I remember right that was a little differnt somehow, probly just the company part though. (the ones who are suppling the tech)

Anyway, lets wait for the console to be released first.
Then all complaints can go then.
Then it'll be up to Nintendo to listen to its infureated consumers.

Me, Im happy with what the Wii will have.
Though Region lock out seems like it costs more than without, wich is beyond me why they would add they and opt out on everything else that would leave open for.

Again, Im gonna wait till the system is out before I complain about it.
Theres still one more month for nintendo to fix these things.
Lets wait with our baseball bats behind our backs eh? ;P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F