Homebrew Nintendo now has a 3DS bug bounty page open

Andarer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you seen how the switch looks? Bro the 3ds has 2 screens, switch got 1. All 3ds games use the bottom screen for some purpose, and therefore the switch doesn't have the nessicerry hardware. Not to mention that its a hybrid, meant to be played on a TV too, with a controller. I mean, even when you remove it and play it mobile, the controller buttons slide onto the side of the console. Which = no 3ds compatibility due to the lack of a touch screen. And not to mention, even if it did, the buttons go on the sides of the console, making it much too awkward to play normally. In fact that "theory" only arose on the net when people saw the switch play cartridges in the release trailer. So did the n64. Don't see backward compatibility for NES on that

See the premise behind buying a system is to legally say I own it. No matter who manufactured the product, if I dropped $80 at a GameStop, I'm entitled to do whatever the fk I want with it, no ifs, ands, or buts. That's why hacking a system is always legal. It becomes illegal when you pirate software
you speak too arrogantly for someone who is totally, completely and utterly wrong.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
who does?
The guy who got paid far too much to write it, who was instructed to write it in exactly such a way that their main target audience (children and their busy parents) will never understand it :blink:

That such things are supposedly legally binding when you have no alternative to opt-in bescause "either say yes or you can't use the device you just paid hundreds of dollars for" and have not been presented with some form of contract requiring signatures and witnesses and option of counsel before purchasing is beyond me... I suppose it just hasn't ever been properly challenged.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you speak too arrogantly for someone who is totally, completely and utterly wrong.
Has Nintendo released or stated themselves that the switch will have backward compatibility? Then as far as were all concerned, it cant

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, true. So it must have been another case if they've been arrested for homebrewing. Idk what though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Congratulations then, you must be the first person I know that has never used the online compartment of the system at all. But I digress.
Whatever words I used is not the point. The point is, you do not legally own the system despite what you think. And you cannot plead ignorance about it
Lmao no, I'm not saying I didn't break the EULA , im pretty sure everyone on this thread did XD. But my point is, the hardware, that's purchased by you, the owner. Any software on it is soleley copyrighted by big N. And as a side note, ofc you can't plead ignorance, its there when you start the console :D

Reactions: gamefan5

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how reverse-engineering will help Nintendo...
The main problem is that Nintendo has to wait till after an exploit is released and millions use it before they can patch it, if they hire people to do it for them before it goes public, they can patch it before anyone knows it even exists.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this mean people who contribute are giving up oppertunity to use homebrew on their systems as well as "Backups"?

Also does this also mean that nintendo never knew how to fix thier exploited system completly? i mean why else would something like this exist? Would it mean only talented people who wants money and a way to put a stop to homebrew and piracy would contribute to this? Clearly it is a issue now cause i don't know when nintendo ever done something like this, and i bet is cause of Pokemon sun and moon early access leaks people making the wrong decision. Although is just a idea, not saying is the reason.

Is just is been such a strange year with things going on so rapidly and unexpectedly that i dunno anymore, making it to 2020 may seem more of a struggle than i thought with video games, Ps4 pro launch disaster, WII U quitting earlier than expected for the predicted life span, game companies focus too much on the top selling franchise instead of balancing out like they used to with all their games, games too long in developement, too many delays and times with no games at all... this year was a mess to be honest.

What happened to the belief of a quality control publishing of games? Now is just about making money, I just don't understand why something like this wasn't done long time ago knowing stuff like this existed back when you can burn anything to a disc and simply play it on dreamcast like it was meant to be a homebrew system?

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
To quote Dr. Evil:

"How about no??"
lol
Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Reactions: driverdis

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this mean people who contribute are giving up oppertunity to use homebrew on their systems as well as "Backups"?

Also does this also mean that nintendo never knew how to fix thier exploited system completly? i mean why else would something like this exist? Would it mean only talented people who wants money and a way to put a stop to homebrew and piracy would contribute to this? Clearly it is a issue now cause i don't know when nintendo ever done something like this, and i bet is cause of Pokemon sun and moon early access leaks people making the wrong decision. Although is just a idea, not saying is the reason.

Is just is been such a strange year with things going on so rapidly and unexpectedly that i dunno anymore, making it to 2020 may seem more of a struggle than i thought with video games, Ps4 pro launch disaster, WII U quitting earlier than expected for the predicted life span, game companies focus too much on the top selling franchise instead of balancing out like they used to with all their games, games too long in developement, too many delays and times with no games at all... this year was a mess to be honest.

What happened to the belief of a quality control publishing of games? Now is just about making money, I just don't understand why something like this wasn't done long time ago knowing stuff like this existed back when you can burn anything to a disc and simply play it on dreamcast like it was meant to be a homebrew system?
1) I'm pretty sure the people who "contribute" are the hackers, meaning they can just hack it themselves, before pushing to Nintendo how they did it
2)if Nintendo could have done thus themselves, then they would have
3) hacking isn't really a thing that can be squashed but rather made incredibly difficult to do. If it exists, it can be hacked. Take the Xbox. From a software standpoint, it was designed to be secure, which is why no game hacks exist. Only way to hack is via a hardmod

Reactions: gamefan5

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Chillax, most of Nintendo's offers are probably going to be trash. Reverse engineers/hackers are usually well paid and usually do this stuff for fun in their spare time, I doubt Nintendo's offer will appeal to them.

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O and the Dreamcast ran on windows, so it wasn't really that hard to "hack". This system existed just around the time gaming piracy actually became a thing, so security wasn't actually all that great

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Have you seen how the switch looks? Bro the 3ds has 2 screens, switch got 1. All 3ds games use the bottom screen for some purpose, and therefore the switch doesn't have the nessicerry hardware. Not to mention that its a hybrid, meant to be played on a TV too, with a controller. I mean, even when you remove it and play it mobile, the controller buttons slide onto the side of the console. Which = no 3ds compatibility due to the lack of a touch screen. And not to mention, even if it did, the buttons go on the sides of the console, making it much too awkward to play normally. In fact that "theory" only arose on the net when people saw the switch play cartridges in the release trailer. So did the n64. Don't see backward compatibility for NES on that

See the premise behind buying a system is to legally say I own it. No matter who manufactured the product, if I dropped $80 at a GameStop, I'm entitled to do whatever the fk I want with it, no ifs, ands, or buts. That's why hacking a system is always legal. It becomes illegal when you pirate software

Can anybody correct me if i'm wrong, but with the WiiU DS VC can't you only play it on the gamepad instead of the TV?
It'd look like ass if you play it on an HDTV tho.

If that's the case, switch can work like that, you can have the big screen and the little one sideways, with only a little black bars for the 192p screen next to the 240p one.

There's absolutely no reason why you'd want to play 3DS games on a TV without upscaling them.

Reactions: Raylight

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chillax, most of Nintendo's offers are probably going to be trash. Reverse engineers/hackers are usually well paid and usually do this stuff for fun in their spare time, I doubt Nintendo's offer will appeal to them.
Not to mention the fact that they reserve the right to say "no that arm11 exploit you found for 11.2 isn't worth the payment". And the agreement of that states they can still take your work and patch it out.

Can anybody correct me if i'm wrong, but with the WiiU DS VC can't you only play it on the gamepad instead of the TV?
It'd look like ass if you play it on an HDTV tho.

If that's the case, switch can work like that, you can have the big screen and the little one sideways, with only a little black bars for the 192p screen next to the 240p one.

There's absolutely no reason why you'd want to play 3DS games on a TV without upscaling them.
See the thing is, the gamepad had a touch screen. We don't know if the switch will, and according to the trailer, when you want to use a TV, you plug it into its stand, meaning thats prolly out of the question.
I'm not or have ever said that "no its not possible", but from what we've seen, its not gonna

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to mention the fact that they reserve the right to say "no that arm11 exploit you found for 11.2 isn't worth the payment". And the agreement of that states they can still take your work and patch it out.

See the thing is, the gamepad had a touch screen. We don't know if the switch will, and according to the trailer, when you want to use a TV, you plug it into its stand, meaning thats prolly out of the question.
I'm not or have ever said that "no its not possible", but from what we've seen, its not gonna
True, they can patch it out. But who says they have to reveal all their 3ds consoles? Hahaha they may have another console without Nintendo realizing it XD

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
True, true. So it must have been another case if they've been arrested for homebrewing. Idk what though.

Congratulations then, you must be the first person I know that has never used the online compartment of the system at all. But I digress.
Whatever words I used is not the point. The point is, you do not legally own the system despite what you think. And you cannot plead ignorance about it

I recently bought a secondhand console on 2.1.0-4U, In 2016. So yeah. There are people who've NEVER used the online functionality of the console AT ALL.
Afaik, o3ds could be shipped with that version that had the browser enabled without updating said system.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See the thing is, the gamepad had a touch screen. We don't know if the switch will, and according to the trailer, when you want to use a TV, you plug it into its stand, meaning thats prolly out of the question. I'm not or have ever said that "no its not possible", but from what we've seen, its not gonna

I think it will have one as kids and adults nowadays are used to touching tablets to navigate and launch stuff. my guess is that games will not have support for touch or touch will be part of an alternate control scheme available for games when in tablet mode.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

You see, they've used touch screens for about 2.5Gens now, I really don't see that trend stopping.
DS had touchscreen.
3DS had touchscreen.
WiiU had touchscreen.

Heck even other party's consoles had touchscreen like the vita.
The switch looks like a tablet, it'd only make sense that it has a touchscreen on it as well. Otherwise it'd be wasted potential.

Also remember how nintendo has been pushing the VC these last gens? If that's a trend they tend to continue, they could use a touchscreen to emulate the wiimote's pointer, DS and 3DS's touchscreen, etc. Otherwise they'd be limited to the usual NES/SNES/N64/GCN if that's ever possible/GB/GBC/GBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol