Nintendo killing many games related Online Services for Wii & DS

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I corrected myself as you can see above

And the weekly puzzles can only live as long as the online service its attached to, nothing lasts forever.

you have to be corrected once again. I did a little research and it seems the puzzles are not really downloadable content. they are already in your rom. going online just unlocks them. and there are cheat codes to unlock them, I guess.

Reactions: Nightwish

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you have to be corrected once again. I did a little research and it seems the puzzles are not really downloadable content. they are already in your rom. going online just unlocks them. and there are cheat codes to unlock them, I guess.

Cart locked content?!
Blasphemy

Well no one's missing much then

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guess, I'll grab my DS carts of the layton games next weekend and open up an unsecured WiFi-connection with my phone for a few minutes to unlock the puzzles again and play them whenever I want to.

Why does Nintendo stop those services anyway? I guess I could run all of those servers on my home station (an i5 3770k with a cable internet connection) at a cost of a few bucks a year (only electricity, because what else could there be to pay for?).

Reactions: Nightwish

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey if anyone wants to help I've set up a site for collecting packet captures and general information for games.

http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/

Already got some Brawl packets collected: The good news is the actual gameplay is all P2P so we don't have to reverse engineer that. The bad news is the connection phase is encrypted over SSL so that will be difficult to figure out.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hey if anyone wants to help I've set up a site for collecting packet captures and general information for games.

Already got some Brawl packets collected: The good news is the actual gameplay is all P2P so we don't have to reverse engineer that. The bad news is the connection phase is encrypted over SSL so that will be difficult to figure out.
Nice, I.. know (and i've read) some libs on wireless protocol used by wii, but I haven't taken a chance to RE packets.

I support this 100% (as ninty already disposed of ds and wii..) and i'll be of help as well

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm going to start collecting packets once I get linux mint installed again lol.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its reasonable if the only games affected were the ones that weren't popular enough for the connection Its sad to see the services be gone for good for all last gen. Just wish they could have adapted their service to run cheaply, or more closed so that they could afford to keep less-used services indefinitely. At the rate the server activity has deteriorated, it'd probably only take a few less of the servers they use, and all they'd have to pay would be the electricity cost. Maybe I'm ignorant on the subject of Nintendo WFC, but it can't/shouldn't cost more than a few thousand dollars to support NDS/Wii for the entire world each year. An expense thats well worth spending to maintain customer satisfaction. And as I was writing that last sentence its more accurate to say hacker satisfaction.... yeah... shut the fucker down.

Though in my opinion, the reason I think these services are neglected because friend codes were/are a frustrating, un-user friendly pain, and the service itself is unreliable. One of my top bookmarks in the past was the page you used to look up error codes.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a router flashed with DD-WRT, It's just that it isn't my main router, I use it as a bridge. Stupid UVerse, won't let me pick my own router.
If both your PC and Wii/DS are connected to it it should work just fine. I have a guide on the site on how to set it up.

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is downright awful. Nintendo is ruining some of the best online games ever made. :ohnoes: On the bright side, Toad King's project may have saved the day! Thanks for your efforts, Toad King! :yaysp:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk