Nintendo has updated Swapnote on the 3DS, despite its discontinuation

Nintendo_letter_box_-_Swapnote_Trivia.png

Remember Swapnote? Otherwise known as Nintendo Letter Box, the app let Nintendo 3DS users send each other messages drawn via the touchscreen through either the StreetPass or SpotPass functionalities of the system. Over the course of Swapnote's lifetime, Nintendo added features like new stationaries and ink colors, though its online functionality was eventually discontinued in 2013, with the cause likely being attributed to a string of cases where younger users had been sending illicit images through the app. Yet, despite Swapnote being discontinued for the better part of a decade, a new update snuck its way onto the 3DS eShop, for some reason. Even more confusing is the fact that the update specifies itself as one for "Swapnote Remastered", and the changelog consists of all of three words: "fixed some problems".

Swapnote Remastered (Released December 15, 2020)
  • Fixed some problems.

Is there something you'd like to tell us, Nintendo?

:arrow: Source

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just add letterbox for Switch on an update and people'll be happy to message their friends like, um, you can do on any other system.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
It's been about 2 months. The update is what I ultimately thought it would be - an update to patch a dangerous exploit triggered by StreetPass. At first I thought it would be something great and I was shocked it was updated until I realized that.

I think they called it "Remastered" to entice people into updating, but calling it a remaster is basically a lie.

It's also been about a month since we found out why it was patched. The weird thing is that Nintendo Life and GoNintendo are just now reporting on it. https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...swapnote_for_3ds_got_remastered_last_december

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto