Nintendo discusses Breath of the Wild's development at GDC 2017, showcases 2D prototype

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is almost here, but before the game officially launches, Nintendo has decided to give fans a a little tidbit of information as to how Breath of the Wild was developed. According to BOTW game developer, Hidemaro Fujibayashi during a GDC 2017 panel, he described that the team used a 2D prototype, which looks a lot like the original Legend of Zelda, in order to test gameplay mechanics and to get a grasp on how new concepts introduced in Breath of the Wild would work. He claimed that having this retro styled 2D prototype allowed Breath of the Wild to remain close to the series' origins, and that it also helped the developers brainstorm ideas for the open-world gameplay. Technical Director Takyhiro Dohta is credited with creating the prototype, which you can see in the video above.

C52yUyxVMAASQog.jpg

I wanted to create a game where the user could truly experience freedom in this play field, and a sense of adventure again and again, as they freely navigate through it. When I started to think this way, the NES Zelda came to mind. Every time the screen scrolled, there was a new discovery to be made.

When the players have diverse actions, items, and choices, an active game was created, where a user can freely create solutions. Through this simple, primitive experimentation, we made the call of what to change and what not to change to complete the game design.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok fans prove to be blinded by anything nintendo say or do, its gold lol.

An open adventure world, you interact with, climb etc.

How on earth do you get these results in a 2D NES version.

the purpose of a prototype correct me here.... is to test ideas and how it will work.

That is not even possible in this NES "prototype".

Why do people blindly love and beleive anything nintendo say, here is what it is, a NES sample, if BOTW was a NES game.

It is not, and not even close to what is a PROTOTYPE, PMFSL.

Prototype is usually a basic version of the game running, allowing devs to test the engine/level and how its features work, add ideas etc.

So you all beleive that this NES "prototype" is actually in fact what nintendo used, then SHATING!!! BOTW was magically excreted out of someones ASS?

No, far from it, this i bet is just someone who made a game using the NES engine to get y'all going WOW this is ace as if this lead to that well done.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So either:
B) Nintendo prototyped some features in 2D and showed us a video of that prototype in action. And you don't know jack shit about the game development process.

Yea because you really create a vast 3d open world/action/adventure game that you interact with almost everything........ using a 2D prototype that is impossible to do anything that you want to do in the game your making.

FFS stop been a wet wiitard.

So you claim then, I can PROTYPE a 3D FPS game that allows the player to climb walls, jump off high moutains, glide through the air, by making a 2D side scrolling prototype (that cant do any of the features i want the game to do).....

sorry to say this, but this is if anything a prototype of what BOTW could have been if it was a NES game, not this is a prototype we used that lead to the creation of BOTW.

Last edited by ,
Trophies
XP

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is almost here, but before the game officially launches, Nintendo has decided to give fans a a little tidbit of information as to how Breath of the Wild was developed. According to BOTW game developer, Hidemaro Fujibayashi during a GDC 2017 panel, he described that the team used a 2D prototype, which looks a lot like the original Legend of Zelda, in order to test gameplay mechanics and to get a grasp on how new concepts introduced in Breath of the Wild would work. He claimed that having this retro styled 2D prototype allowed Breath of the Wild to remain close to the series' origins, and that it also helped the developers brainstorm ideas for the open-world gameplay. Technical Director Takyhiro Dohta is credited with creating the prototype, which you can see in the video above.

Man, I would love to play that prototype. If they could release it on virtual console...

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok fans prove to be blinded by anything nintendo say or do, its gold lol.

An open adventure world, you interact with, climb etc.

How on earth do you get these results in a 2D NES version.

the purpose of a prototype correct me here.... is to test ideas and how it will work.

That is not even possible in this NES "prototype".

Why do people blindly love and beleive anything nintendo say, here is what it is, a NES sample, if BOTW was a NES game.

It is not, and not even close to what is a PROTOTYPE, PMFSL.

Prototype is usually a basic version of the game running, allowing devs to test the engine/level and how its features work, add ideas etc.

So you all beleive that this NES "prototype" is actually in fact what nintendo used, then SHATING!!! BOTW was magically excreted out of someones ASS?

No, far from it, this i bet is just someone who made a game using the NES engine to get y'all going WOW this is ace as if this lead to that well done.

Yea because you really create a vast 3d open world/action/adventure game that you interact with almost everything........ using a 2D prototype that is impossible to do anything that you want to do in the game your making.

FFS stop been a wet wiitard.

So you claim then, I can PROTYPE a 3D FPS game that allows the player to climb walls, jump off high moutains, glide through the air, by making a 2D side scrolling prototype (that cant do any of the features i want the game to do).....

sorry to say this, but this is if anything a prototype of what BOTW could have been if it was a NES game, not this is a prototype we used that lead to the creation of BOTW.
Clearly the concept of a prototype is beyond your comprehension so you instead have to construct an alternate reality where the whole thing is an elaborate lie. I've no more time to waste on a person such as yourself that sooner believes something is an elaborate lie with no motivation than accept the possibility you might just not understand how something works.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly the concept of a prototype is beyond your comprehension so you instead have to construct an alternate reality where the whole thing is an elaborate lie. I've no more time to waste on a person such as yourself that sooner believes something is an elaborate lie with no motivation than accept the possibility you might just not understand how something works.

PMSLF muppit, how then tell me is the NES version then, tell me please do, how it is as nintendo claim, it been used as a prototype that lead to the game as it is now.

wake your deluded fucking head up pal, this clearly is just nintendo having fun making a NES version, re creating parts that you get in the BOTW but as if it would have been the NES.

really do nintendo fanboys buy anything this company tells them.

at no point did anyone at nintendo make this as the starting grounds for BOTW.

this is not and NEVER was the prototype to this game, it was created afterwards.

Cant you fucking see this in the fucking video, its been recreated!

i wonder if nintendo then base its movies off very basic stick men drawings and send them to its design team, and its model creators can convert basic stick men to fully 3d highly detailed characters.

Last edited by ,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i find this to be just a bunch of lies just to get its sheep fans going wow.

how on earth can you use a prototype of the NES style game, to test out ideas/features of such to the likes of what BOTW is..... it just wouldn't work at all.

ohh yes we have a 2d side stroller to test ideas, but hold on, this is extremely limited, BOTW is an open world adventure, you climb and interact with everything in the environment..... not even possible in the above "prototype".

I dont see the point is claiming this crap.... why not say ohhh we maybe intended it to be a simple NES game for the fans, or did a NES version, not claim this was your prototype to test features.
"i don't understand it, therefore it's impossible! what cheats and liars!"

you must be fun at parties.

i wonder if nintendo then base its movies off very basic stick men drawings and send them to its design team, and its model creators can convert basic stick men to fully 3d highly detailed characters.
those are called story-boards, yes.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"i don't understand it, therefore it's impossible! what cheats and liars!"

you must be fun at parties.

those are called story-boards, yes.

story boards yes, could be basic, but the design of or prototype designs arent, these are pretty highly detailed.

when you see games behind the scenes, world art/character art tend to be very highyl details so the designers can get as close to the desing as possible.

but what its claiming here is this NES game, is the prototype that nintendo used to come up with ideas for BOTW.

naa utter BS, its nintendo re creating BOTW as if it was a NES game.

a prototype is in short a basic version of the game, early stage engine, now all the ideas and features that BOTW had/has would not make sense to use this as its prototype because it simply cant test if the idea/features work.

that is the point of prototypes, its like a demo that devs dont release.

this muppet above seems to buy anything this company tells them, when you watch the video you can clearly see its nintendo trying to recreate what it would be like if it was a NES game.

ill state again, this is not the prototype that lead to what it is now, this prototype would in fact have been using the wii u engine which then ported to the switch.

this muppit is biting the BS claim, so this NES was the ground basis that lead to BOTW..... ok pal take yer head outta nintendo's ass n make room for the other sheep.

Last edited by ,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
story boards yes, could be basic, but the design of or prototype designs arent, these are pretty highly detailed.

when you see games behind the scenes, world art/character art tend to be very highyl details so the designers can get as close to the desing as possible.

but what its claiming here is this NES game, is the prototype that nintendo used to come up with ideas for BOTW.

naa utter BS, its nintendo re creating BOTW as if it was a NES game.

a prototype is in short a basic version of the game, early stage engine, now all the ideas and features that BOTW had/has would not make sense to use this as its prototype because it simply cant test if the idea/features work.

that is the point of prototypes, its like a demo that devs dont release.

this muppet above seems to buy anything this company tells them, when you watch the video you can clearly see its nintendo trying to recreate what it would be like if it was a NES game.

ill state again, this is not the prototype that lead to what it is now, this prototype would in fact have been using the wii u engine which then ported to the switch.

this muppit is biting the BS claim, so this NES was the ground basis that lead to BOTW..... ok pal take yer head outta nintendo's ass n make room for the other sheep.
"nu-uh! your face is poo!" is what it appears to be you're saying. why is it so hard to see this as a story-board, only for video game actions and sussing out how a particular mechanic would affect that feeling of "adventure" and "exploration"?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

how on earth can you use a prototype of the NES style game, to test out ideas/features of such to the likes of what BOTW is..... it just wouldn't work at all.

ohh yes we have a 2d side stroller to test ideas, but hold on, this is extremely limited, BOTW is an open world adventure, you climb and interact with everything in the environment..... not even possible in the above "prototype".

I dont see the point is claiming this crap.... why not say ohhh we maybe intended it to be a simple NES game for the fans, or did a NES version, not claim this was your prototype to test features.

Wow some random nobody on the internet like you sure knows a lot about game development!
and it sure shows too!

Rofl. You're an ignorant retard. There isn't even slightly a reason to lie about something like this.
It's simply part of the development process. I realize you likely don't have a functioning brain to understand this, but the main point of it seemed to be drawing out the world map and then like a pop-up book, making it the massive 3D landscape of the final product. Pretty simple concept. There's more they could do with the 2D prototype too. It doesn't even take a game developer to understand the logic behind such a thing. It's also very simple to make for someone proficient in programming. Very simple.

It blows me away there are people so stupid and ignorant they could actually bring themselves to type up something like you did. That's baffling really. Just goes to show anti-fans are still worse than Nintenyearolds.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country

Precisely my thinking as well. Since the final environment is nothing like the prototype, testing can only be very limited. Perhaps when it comes to a few things like how hard something is or the amount of items/inventory ergonomics, ok. We are talking about a 3d world, you simply cannot prototype it in a 2d world. It simply wont work. Think for example the usability of a bow, boomerang or throwing a bomb in a 3d world.

Having said that, for mapping it is quite useful.

Last edited by geodeath,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think you guys saying this is BS read what they said:

"When the players have diverse actions, items, and choices, an active game was created, where a user can freely create solutions. Through this simple, primitive experimentation, we made the call of what to change and what not to change to complete the game design."

Actions, items and choices. Those can be performed with this. Besides, many devs create levels by literally drawing them on paper - this is essentially higher-up company's version of it, albeit with more staff, more time management and money.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If a 3D world can't be created in 2D then I wonder what's going on with Dragon Quest XI on 3DS.

I'd like to see this released as a bonus or some easter egg in the game.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am totally down for Nintendo to make more Mario Maker esque titles. Giving creative freedom to the community always has such interesting and fun results. Applying the same type of thing to Zelda, Metroid or literally any of their other classic IPs would be really cool.

Hell, better yet, I'd just be down if Nintendo made a Game Maker style engine or development suite for both themselves and the community to toy around with. Imagine a tool where people could use assets from classic Nintendo games and make anything they wanted. Top down metroid? Sure! A Zelda karting game? Why not! A Shy Guy focused RPG? Hell yeah! Something like that would probably be hell to code, but hot damn would it be cool.
But I want Phantom Hourglass, whose items are infinitely superior (especially the boomerang and bomb-chu) compared to other 2d zelda.
Metroid is probably a bit harder especially if you want some story elements. But I am all in for some top down metroid if they can figure out the upgrades, sense of isolation and progress. And sadly Sony is a actually steps ahead only to stop bothering with 'cartoonish visuals'.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I love their creativity. Ah, sweet Nintendo. No one can surprise and disappoint me so hard like you can. : )

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Give it a few days, and I bet someone will hack the original NES LOZ to add the stuff of this protoype. Or make a fangame, I dunno.

Then it will get DMCAd by Ninty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Can you just edit the save file on a PC?