Nintendo discusses Breath of the Wild's development at GDC 2017, showcases 2D prototype

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is almost here, but before the game officially launches, Nintendo has decided to give fans a a little tidbit of information as to how Breath of the Wild was developed. According to BOTW game developer, Hidemaro Fujibayashi during a GDC 2017 panel, he described that the team used a 2D prototype, which looks a lot like the original Legend of Zelda, in order to test gameplay mechanics and to get a grasp on how new concepts introduced in Breath of the Wild would work. He claimed that having this retro styled 2D prototype allowed Breath of the Wild to remain close to the series' origins, and that it also helped the developers brainstorm ideas for the open-world gameplay. Technical Director Takyhiro Dohta is credited with creating the prototype, which you can see in the video above.

C52yUyxVMAASQog.jpg

Dartz150, SLiV3R, Yoshigator and 18 others like this.

2. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Pretty amazing, is that all of the video?

3. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.7-1-zen
    will the proto be leaked

4. kiais

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    Can barely call it a prototype since there was no way they weren't going to release a console feature that played like 3d Zelda. This must have evolved from a I'm an idiot and didn't read everything, they used this to map out game mechanics and such which is cool. Hopefully this gets leaked in the future.

damiano2712 likes this.
  5. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Huh, the shadow effect applied to the sprites in the prototype reminds me a whole lot of Super Mario Maker. It would be sick if Nintendo was secretly showing off a prototype for Zelda Maker or something..

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    This is pretty cool! Simplify the whole concept, to have a better overview. I totally agree with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually used the same engine to build the Zelda prototype.

Subtle Demise and Darkyose like this.
  7. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    I am totally down for Nintendo to make more Mario Maker esque titles. Giving creative freedom to the community always has such interesting and fun results. Applying the same type of thing to Zelda, Metroid or literally any of their other classic IPs would be really cool.

Hell, better yet, I'd just be down if Nintendo made a Game Maker style engine or development suite for both themselves and the community to toy around with. Imagine a tool where people could use assets from classic Nintendo games and make anything they wanted. Top down metroid? Sure! A Zelda karting game? Why not! A Shy Guy focused RPG? Hell yeah! Something like that would probably be hell to code, but hot damn would it be cool.

8. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    An internal prototype from Nintendo? Yeah, maybe in 15 years from now if someone find it the attic of a former dev.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  9. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Did that Dev make it only for that 'level' or the whole game?
    Anyway, I think it's a great coding practice- making a simple prototype to envision what you really want to do

Last edited by raystriker, Mar 2, 2017
  10. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    You may have figured this out from the time you started the post to the time you ended it, but a prototype in gaming is not the same thing as an alpha or a beta. With alphas and betas, those are early incarnations of a game that are still being iterated upon until you reach the final polished product. Prototypes are more of a proof-of-concept tool to quickly mock up an idea. It's not uncommon to make a prototype with zero intent of incorporating any of the code or assets into the final product; perhaps making it in a different game engine or coding it in a different language. Heck, depending on what you're trying to test out, the prototype could be something physical rather than a piece of software.

I don't think there were any levels involved at all. I think they put together a rudimentary environment from which they could show off some of the gameplay ideas they had.

Last edited by grossaffe, Mar 2, 2017
    kiais and VinsCool like this.
  11. kiais

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    Yeah I figured it was to establish some base ideas to incorporate into the game, I just never gave it a second thought that they would use the 2d zelda format that resembles the Nes game. It makes a lot of sense to do that, and since they wanted to expand on the idea of open game presented in the first Zelda makes it more clever with how Nintendo approached BOTW development.

12. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Now I would play this It looks pretty nice now only if Nintendo released this it looks to cool to just leave it as is flush it out and make it's own game.

13. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Huh, so NoA said on twitter that the 2D demo wasn't even 2D at all, but a sort of pseudo-2D running in BOTW's engine. Screenshot from the tweet below.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Only Nintendo would have enough money to make a 2D tech demo just to see if it gives them any ideas.

15. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    i find this to be just a bunch of lies just to get its sheep fans going wow.

how on earth can you use a prototype of the NES style game, to test out ideas/features of such to the likes of what BOTW is..... it just wouldn't work at all.

ohh yes we have a 2d side stroller to test ideas, but hold on, this is extremely limited, BOTW is an open world adventure, you climb and interact with everything in the environment..... not even possible in the above "prototype".

I dont see the point is claiming this crap.... why not say ohhh we maybe intended it to be a simple NES game for the fans, or did a NES version, not claim this was your prototype to test features.

ZzzWayne and geodeath like this.
  16. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Antarctica
    Between the Sacred Silence and Sleep
    good point- when developing a game with lots of new features you should start testing them as soon as possible, not to wait to the engine or other things.
    PLEASE NINTENDO- RELEASE THIS PROTOTYPE!!!

17. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    I agree, full of shit imo to claim this was used a prototype and is click bait for fans by some delusional person who thought of the idea in the first place.

geodeath likes this.
  18. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    So either:
    A) Nintendo lied about prototyping some features in 2D and then proceeded to make a fake prototype in order to have a video of it to trick a small handful of people will ever see it because... um... reasons
    B) Nintendo prototyped some features in 2D and showed us a video of that prototype in action. And you don't know jack shit about the game development process.

Hmm, which is more likely?

19. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    *troll mode on*
    So, finnaly they came up with a solution for the framedrops on the WiiU version !
    *troll mode off*

Joke, that game feel so polished in a lot of ways when you play it, not surprised that they did that kind of test just to find new ideas and tryout so gameplay mechanics,
    and i just got "dumbed" by the video showing some piece of the first land when you have to go trough the really cold water, didnt even thinked about going there THAT way lol.

DrkBeam, Subtle Demise and Jonna like this.
  20. Prans

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    If Nintendo doesn't see the potential to use this as the base for a Zelda Maker, then the company has lost its marbles.