Nintendo Direct Aug. 8 - Roundup - Simon Belmont and King K. Rool join the fight

The next Nintendo Direct is almost here. This time, the focus will purely be on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, to the excitement or dismay of many. A major character reveal will be a likely announcement, and after an accidental video upload earlier today, Castlevania's Simon Belmont might be making an appearance. Isabelle from Animal Crossing and a Gen 7 Pokemon are also heavily rumored to be roster choices who will be announced today, as well. The only way to see if these rumors are true are to stay tuned! The direct starts at 10 am ET, and GBAtemp will be covering the event live. All announcements and trailers will be noted and summarized below.

:arrow: Watch on Twitch
:arrow: Watch on Nintendo's official site

Live Updates

• Simon Belmont confirmed.
  • Richter Belmont as well as an Echo.
  • Slow, but has a long reaching whip. Has the axe, cross, and holy water.
  • Grand cross Final Smash.
  • Dracula's Castle stage. Has monsters from the series as stage hazards.
  • 34 Castlevania tracks will be available.
  • Alucard is an assist trophy.
  • Chrom as an echo of Marth.
  • Dark Samus as an echo of Samus.
  • You'll be able to minimize echo characters appearances on the character select, or expand them.
  • Pokemon Stadium, Flat Zone, Garden of Hope, Brinstar Depths, Summit, Unova League, Magicant, Gamer stages all shown off.
  • New Donk City Hall is a new stage.
  • SSBU will have 103 stages total.
  • You don't have to unlock them.
  • You can turn off stage hazards without playing the Omega Form.
  • New feature will let you change stages mid-battle
  • Over 800 tracks.
  • You can turn on an option for mini final smashes that are built up by a super gauge.
  • Squad Strike Mode. 3v3 or 5v5, where you use 3/5 different characters to fight.
  • Tournament mode for up to 32.
  • Smash Down mode, which removes the roster as you select them, until there's no characters left to choose.
  • Practice mode shows your trajectory of attacks to show you how far you can launch enemies.
  • Classic Mode is back.
  • New items. Banana-gun. Killing edge. Bomber.Ramblin Mushroom. Rage Blaster.
  • Abra, Lunala, Mimikyu, Pyukmuku, Vulpix, Marshadow, Ditto as new Pokemon
  • Assist trophies: Zero, Knuckles, Krystal, Klaptrap, Kapp'n, Gray Fox, Nikki, Shovel Knight
  • Rathalos stage boss or assist trophy.
  • Mysterious mode that can't be announced yet...
7sCUIs5.png

Final reveal is...

King K. Rool!

A limited edition version of the game will also be available.

uU1v252.png

wbFyg2k.png QTueXSx.jpg

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
At last two characters that scream "NINTENDO". To us, the veteran players, it's just impossible to forget those moments. The first CastleVanias, the encounter with King K. Rool in that awesome lookin' game back then in an epic finale match. Man. Richter, too, good job, at last, good job and characters that represent those Golden times. CastleVania was born here,

I remember, a couple months ago, a guy in a thread go berserk telling "..a CastleVania character would never happen. Ever." He went mad assuring that. He may be in a cave sobbing and telling life is unfair.

Only let down was Alucard, would have been epic to have him as a playable one. But oh well.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Videos are typically space consuming. Smash 4 only have a bit less than 3GB of them and there's no story.
If they add a story, they add many more of these videos, which will bump up the size of the game even more.

Knowing Smash 4 is about 14GB (actual data being mostly already compressed FYI) it doesn't leave much room for a fully feature story mode in addition to all the new musics (also space consuming) characters and all.

Unless part of the game is download content, or the 16GB info is fake.
Where's this 16GB idea coming from? The amount of music alone plus the fact that smash 4 was 15gb makes it seem basically impossible to me.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Videos are typically space consuming. Smash 4 only have a bit less than 3GB of them and there's no story.
If they add a story, they add many more of these videos, which will bump up the size of the game even more.

Knowing Smash 4 is about 14GB (actual data being mostly already compressed FYI) it doesn't leave much room for a fully feature story mode in addition to all the new musics (also space consuming) characters and all.

Unless part of the game is download content, or the 16GB info is fake.
Given how much better Nintendo has gotten with hardware power they could well just be rendered on the console

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where's this 16GB idea coming from? The amount of music alone plus the fact that smash 4 was 15gb makes it seem basically impossible to me.
It was on the Nintendo Japanese Store, although the link seems dead as I'm looking at it right now.

But you can find articles if you type smash 16GB on google.

Also 32GB cartridges aren't gonna be out till 2019, unless they figured out that issue as well.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It was on the Nintendo Japanese Store, although the link seems dead as I'm looking at it right now.

Also 32GB cartridges aren't gonna be out till 2019, unless they figured out that issue as well.
Yeah, the link is still up. That said, it only says "at least 16GB" so it could be placeholder estimate stuff. 32gb carts do exist though, one of the Japan only dragon quest games uses one.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

your totally incorrect on everything...

first the website of japan said ssbU was 16gb or more, it never told a specific size...

32gb cartridges already exist since launch day, dragon quest heroes 1+2 was released on launch day japan on switch with 32gb cartridge.

the cartridge that will be out in 2019 are the official 64gb ones that developers can ask to use not 32gb which already exist.

Last edited by pedro702,

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your totally incorrect on everything...

first the website of japan said ssbU was 16gb or more, it never told a specific size...

32gb cartridges already exist since launch day, dragon quest heroes 1+2 was released on launch day japan on switch with 32gb cartridge.

the cartridge that will be out in 2019 are the official 64gb ones that developers can ask to use not 32gb which already exist.

It's speculations, of course not everything is gonna end up correct. However I tend to believe an official source.
It's not incorrect to simply repeat what is found on the internet. It was said 16GB or more. The "more" ~usually~ means it won't get much higher than that pre-DLC. I'm sorry but I don't know any example of Nintendo games that announces a size on their eshop only to blow it up out of the way later.

And yes, my bad for 32GB cartridges.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's speculations, of course not everything is gonna end up correct. However I tend to believe an official source.
It's not incorrect to simply repeat what is found on the internet. It was said 16GB or more. The "more" ~usually~ means it won't get much higher than that pre-DLC. I'm sorry but I don't know any example of Nintendo games that announces a size on their eshop only to blow it up out of the way later.

And yes, my bad for 32GB cartridges.
also it wasn't offical nintendo that said 16gb or more news, it was a gaming website of sorts lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Waluigi isnt anymore on the Assist trophy list :)
lol what are you smoking ... he isnt on the list because it shows only so much, but he is there just look at the bottom part of the website

https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/item/assistfigure.html

Last edited by pedro702,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well that's a shame.
well he could be dlc imo, if we get dlc and we will for sure lol.

tbh what i really want now is
story mode like ssbm adventure or subspace
black shadow echo of CF
shadow echo of sonic

sadly it seems pokefloats stage isnt coming back either :S

For new fighters i dont even want any, sure waluigi would have been nice but hey sakurai added ridley and dark samus and with everyone returning most of my wishes are done :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well he could be dlc imo, if we get dlc and we will for sure lol.

tbh what i really want now is
story mode like ssbm adventure or subspace
black shadow echo of CF
shadow echo of sonic

sadly it seems pokefloats stage isnt coming back either :S

For new fighters i dont even want any, sure waluigi would have been nice but hey sakurai added ridley and dark samus and with everyone returning most of my wishes are done :P

That censored icon on the main menu looks like adventure mode.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this is basically confirms nothing, its just a placeholder value, they know it wont be smaller than 16gb for sure,im pretty sure smash will be the first official nintendo game to use the 32gb cartridges, just wait and see, sakurai never likes to leave out content and just the musics, trophy's,stages,characters and all that crap it will be over 16gb for sure.

Reactions: nwiifletcher

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is basically confirms nothing, its just a placeholder value, they know it wont be smaller than 16gb for sure,im pretty sure smash will be the first official nintendo game to use the 32gb cartridges, just wait and see, sakurai never likes to leave out content and just the musics, trophy's,stages,characters and all that crap it will be over 16gb for sure.
I mean, I hope you're right. But I don't know why they would officially reveal something while they have no idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"