Nintendo breaks sales records over Thanksgiving sales week

NintendoSwitch_hardware_boxart_01.jpg

Nintendo managed to set two new sales milestones in the United States during the period of November 22nd through November 26th. During those five days, the Nintendo Switch became the fastest selling Nintendo system ever, surpassing the previous record holder--the Nintendo Wii--and also reached a record sales week in North America. Not only that, but Adobe Analytics reported the Nintendo Switch as one of the most-purchased items, and the highest selling video game related product during that window. From Thanksgiving Day to Cyber Monday, consumers purchased over $250 million dollars worth of Nintendo games and consoles, including 3DS, Switch, and SNES Classic items in that figure.

Nintendo Switch

• Nintendo Switch hardware sales grew 115 percent compared to the same period in 2017.
  • Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.
  • Sales of first-party games, including digital downloads, topped 1 million units Nov. 22-26, beating 2017’s totals by 78 percent.
  • Nintendo Switch games Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! have hit combined U.S. sales of more than 1.5 million units since their Nov. 16 launch.
  • Super Mario Party surpassed lifetime U.S. sales of 1 million units, becoming the fastest-selling game in the Mario Partyseries and the fifth million-selling first-party Nintendo Switch game in the U.S. alone, joining The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2.
Nintendo 3DS

• Thanks in part to strong Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday sales, the total installed base for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems has hit 22 million.
  • Additionally, after 12 months of availability, lifetime combined sales of the Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moongames crossed 2.2 million.
Classic Gaming Systems

• Also aided by strong Nov. 22-26 sales, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system surpassed lifetime sales of 2.5 million.
  • And the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system surpassed lifetime sales of 2 million.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And because everyone already has a PS4 or XB1.
Or a PC. None of these systems does what Switch does though, so it's kind of a moot point. Going with a hybrid is the smartest move Nintendo could've made after Wii U, because it becomes almost a must-buy as a companion device even if you already own other gaming systems. At the same time, nobody's going to buy an XB1 if they already have a PS4 or vice versa, the incentive isn't there without the portable aspect.

Frankbel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am not sure whether Switch deserves such sales numbers as a home console.
On the other hand, Nintendo portable gaming is now on Switch, so these sales are kind of combined ones.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got two Switches that I use regularly and one PS4 Pro I hardly play any games on. I even thought about selling the latter, because it doesn't really appeal to me.
I've always been primarily a pc gamer. Never owned a playstation or xbox. But ive had every nintendo console including the portables. nes,snes,gamecube, wii, wiiu,ds x 2, dsixl, n3dsxl x 2, switch x 2. also atari 2600,7200, sega master system, genesis, saturn and dreamcast.

Ginger OfOZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beating out the Wii is super impressive. Everyone and their grandma has a Wii, would be awesome if the Switch could pull off the same thing.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grabbed one for my grandson, and a SNES mini and a few other things on black Friday... I probably will get a PS4 at some point since 199.99 with Spiderman sounds like a great deal to me.

kkcheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If that were the case, then PS4 and XBOX sales would be equal to Switch sales... which is not true.
Why would it be equal if nobody buying it? Sometimes I find people posting in this forum lack of common sense and lack of English comprehension.

Last edited by kkcheong,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +2