Nintendo announces the New 2DS XL

Coming out of absolutely nowhere, Nintendo has revealed a new variation of the 2DS...the New 2DS XL! The system features a top screen that looks almost like a cell phone snapped onto the bottom of a 3DS. It has the extra processing power of the N3DS, amiibo functionality, and the C-stick nub, while, just like the original 2DS, omits the 3D feature of the handheld. The New 2DS XL will release on July 28, and retail for $149.99.

ken95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"You're just giving specific reasons as to why one would buy one of the handhelds." Yes in fact very legitimate reasons as to why one would buy one of these instead of the ones you listed, no gimmicks, just the games exactly how most people would want it. It's practically a New 3DS XL without the 3D gimmick and a cheaper price tag, while being that size those are very legitimate reasons. In fact reasons more gamers would choose the New 2DS XL over the other 3DSs

"Because some think (well a lot imo) that the Switch is a next gen handheld not a home console since it's portable and isnt that powerful to compete against the others home consoles."
It's impossible to confuse people with this handheld, because it doesn't run the same games as the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch doesn't even have a double screen, or a clam shell design. Hell the branding isn't even the same.

"If they wanted to support the 3DS Family they could have supported software (games for the most part) but i guess they want to milk the shit out of the 3DS huh?"

Well luckily they can give a device that most gamers would want, while supporting it with software. As the 2DS XL is really the definition of just games no gimmicks, gives you what you want without you having to pay for a useless 3D gimmick.
And even then why now? The Switch is out they should focus on it. Not on a 6 year old 270px console (whatever the nbr of px it actually has you get my point).
This annoncement is just unnecesary since the 3DS will eventually die...You can find use to this new handheld and I personally dont since there's already the New 3DS XL (even though I have to admit this one has a cool design...)

ken95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Except they ditched the previous and awesome body of the original 2DS. Now it's just another flip top, which I don't care for.
Agreed the reappearance of hinges makes the 2DS line lose its Gameboy Color charm I felt with mine...

Reactions: XDel

ken95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This new handheld will probably have updated hardware. Hacking it might be difficult... I'm curious only about that for this handheld personally...

Reactions: Gamelogic

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does 3DS hold the record for most revisions for a game system ever? This would be the 5th one.

DS had 3 revisions

Original GameBoy also had 3 I think.

And GBA had 4.

And DS also had 4 I guess ... DSphat, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL.

I like this new2dsxl, though I have no use for it. My wife would probably like it though - she needs a (J) console for system transfer purposes (she's Japanese) and her old (J) 3DS XL has a crumbled hinge that's holding together with my wiz-bang epoxy and packing tape repair. (and it's been holding together for over a year like that, so i guess I did a fair job of it). She doesn't like the 3D, but the 2DS also wasn't of interest because screens are small. So thanks for the last chance to replace her old kit, Nintendo.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heavily disagree

1. The Switch and 3DS are two different things, they don't compete in the same market, the Switch is a console that has handheld capabilites, the 2DS XL is a New 3DS XL without the 2D and plays different games.

2. I wanted it, there are people that wanted a cheaper way to play New 3DS games, no 3D, and larger screens this honestly is what the 3DS should have just been in my opinion.

3. The New 3DS XL model also has 3D attached to it, so this is for those that don't want to pay the extra 50 for a feature they don't use.
The 2DS will still have it's place, this is more of a premium model.
1) They are both mobile so they are part of the mobile gaming competition.
2)Looking at the comment section there is not a lot of people who wanted this.
3)You got me there.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And GBA had 4.

And DS also had 4 I guess ... DSphat, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL.

I like this new2dsxl, though I have no use for it. My wife would probably like it though - she needs a (J) console for system transfer purposes (she's Japanese) and her old (J) 3DS XL has a crumbled hinge that's holding together with my wiz-bang epoxy and packing tape repair. (and it's been holding together for over a year like that, so i guess I did a fair job of it). She doesn't like the 3D, but the 2DS also wasn't of interest because screens are small. So thanks for the last chance to replace her old kit, Nintendo.
When you count revisions you dont count the base system.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It looks just like the fake 3DS people talked about way back when!

large.jpg
5460c0717a1f9ee8d94bf74f35279ce6.jpg

Last edited by Pluupy,

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So the purpose of this is to be a new 3ds... But cheaper to tackle the market of people who think the new 3ds is too expensive and don't want the blocky 2ds... Yet they're releasing it when anyone interested has already bough some kind of 3ds and the production costs for it are there... So is it really going to make much of a profit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy