Nintendo announces the New 2DS XL

Coming out of absolutely nowhere, Nintendo has revealed a new variation of the 2DS...the New 2DS XL! The system features a top screen that looks almost like a cell phone snapped onto the bottom of a 3DS. It has the extra processing power of the N3DS, amiibo functionality, and the C-stick nub, while, just like the original 2DS, omits the 3D feature of the handheld. The New 2DS XL will release on July 28, and retail for $149.99.

ken95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well actually the whole kid friendly thing was more about the 3D

This is a little different in that it's for people that
1. Don't want 3D
2. Want to play New 3DS games
3. Cheaper price
4. Want a bigger system

This seems to be more for adults.
The 2DS isnt just for kids. I even have one myself.

1. Number 1 argument you could buy a 2DS for that and even then you could leave the 3D down on the others 3DSs.
2. You can with a New 3DS
3.There's the 2Ds for that (you could get for ~80$ with Mario Kart 7 iirc)
4.You have the 3DS XL or the New 3DS XL if one has a bigger budget.

And the title of "New Nintendo 2DS XL" is redundant as hell..

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 2DS isnt just for kids. I even have one myself.

1. Number 1 argument you could buy a 2DS for that and even then you could leave the 3D down on the others 3DSs.
2. You can with a New 3DS
3.There's the 2Ds for that (you could get for ~80$ with Mario Kart 7 iirc)
4.You have the 3DS XL or the New 3DS XL if one has a bigger budget.

And the title of "New Nintendo 2DS XL" is redundant as hell..

"Number 1 argument you could buy a 2DS for that and even then you could leave the 3D down on the others 3DSs." Why pay more for a feature you won't use.

"You can with a New 3DS" But it lacks the bigger screen, and I have to pay for the 3D which I won't use.

"There's the 2Ds for that (you could get for ~80$ with Mario Kart 7 iirc)" Yes but what if I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles?

"You have the 3DS XL or the New 3DS XL if one has a bigger budget." Lacks New 3DS game compatibility, and the other is more expensive for a feature I won't use.

The title makes sense since it plays New 3DS Games

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why not see what sales are left to squeeze out of the 3DS line, I suppose. I'll pass. O3DS XL and Switch are plenty enough consoles owned on the portable side already. OTOH I never use the 3D and I would've bought a 2DS if it wasn't so ugly/childish looking, so props to Ninty in fixing that flaw.

Last edited by Xzi,

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like it would be better if they did a design more true to the 2DS' design.. That hand room was cool
I'd honestly probably get one if they didn't all probably ship with 11.4<

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
so... they release system that basicaly sexy N3DS, but name it 2DS? wtf
You expected them to use the 3ds moniker with a 2d system?
I feel like it would be better if they did a design more true to the 2DS' design.. That hand room was cool
I'd honestly probably get one if they didn't all probably ship with 11.4<
Kills portability though.

Reactions: Ricken and KingVamp

ken95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"Number 1 argument you could buy a 2DS for that and even then you could leave the 3D down on the others 3DSs." Why pay more for a feature you won't use.

"You can with a New 3DS" But it lacks the bigger screen, and I have to pay for the 3D which I won't use.

"There's the 2Ds for that (you could get for ~80$ with Mario Kart 7 iirc)" Yes but what if I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles?

"You have the 3DS XL or the New 3DS XL if one has a bigger budget." Lacks New 3DS game compatibility, and the other is more expensive for a feature I won't use.

The title makes sense since it plays New 3DS Games
So? You're just giving specific reasons as to why one would buy one of the handhelds.

Plus that will confuse people. Because some think (well a lot imo) that the Switch is a next gen handheld not a home console since it's portable and isnt that powerful to compete against the others home consoles.
If they wanted to support the 3DS Family they could have supported software (games for the most part) but i guess they want to milk the shit out of the 3DS huh?

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So? You're just giving specific reasons as to why one would buy one of the handhelds.

Plus that will confuse people. Because some think (well a lot imo) that the Switch is a next gen handheld not a home console since it's portable and isnt that powerful to compete against the others home consoles.
If they wanted to support the 3DS Family they could have supported software (games for the most part) but i guess they want to milk the shit out of the 3DS huh?

"You're just giving specific reasons as to why one would buy one of the handhelds." Yes in fact very legitimate reasons as to why one would buy one of these instead of the ones you listed, no gimmicks, just the games exactly how most people would want it. It's practically a New 3DS XL without the 3D gimmick and a cheaper price tag, while being that size those are very legitimate reasons. In fact reasons more gamers would choose the New 2DS XL over the other 3DSs

"Because some think (well a lot imo) that the Switch is a next gen handheld not a home console since it's portable and isnt that powerful to compete against the others home consoles."
It's impossible to confuse people with this handheld, because it doesn't run the same games as the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch doesn't even have a double screen, or a clam shell design. Hell the branding isn't even the same.

"If they wanted to support the 3DS Family they could have supported software (games for the most part) but i guess they want to milk the shit out of the 3DS huh?"

Well luckily they can give a device that most gamers would want, while supporting it with software. As the 2DS XL is really the definition of just games no gimmicks, gives you what you want without you having to pay for a useless 3D gimmick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM