Nintendo 3DS photos, videos and more

kammithecamel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
tk_saturn said:
Anyone know what that square is to the right of the stylus?

6-15-10-3dscloseup14-1276632041%20copy.jpg

Infrared port for PokeWalker?

Anyone else notice the game card with the microSD slot?
tongue.gif

The picture is Photoshoped.
http://www.engadget.com/photos/e3-2010-nin...-shots/#3082701
The actual picture is in the second row, sixth column.

Also, the watermark says TK Saturn.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kammithecamel said:
The picture is Photoshoped.
http://www.engadget.com/photos/e3-2010-nin...-shots/#3082701
The actual picture is in the second row, sixth column.

Also, the watermark says TK Saturn.
I wasn't pretending it was real. It's from another thread and I had the photo handy, I the put cart in because people were saying the cart slot was larger than that of the DS.

Besides, I thought it was funny to add the photo of a flashcart to their new console.

kammithecamel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I wasn't pretending it was real. It's from another thread and I had the photo handy, I the put cart in because people were saying the cart slot was larger than that of the DS.

Besides, I thought it was funny to add the photo of a flashcart to their new console.

Now that I know it was a joke, I feel like a jerk. Sorry about that.
sad.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
that purple 3DS looks awesome (my favorite colour) lets see if they release it in retail, they did the same thing with the Wii showed loads of colours and only released white, i can only pray that colour comes to europe!

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The touch screen isn't widescreen, because then there wouldn't be anywhere for the buttons to go. They obviously want to keep the thing small enough to fit in your pocket. I don't think this is going to cause any problems.
Also I doubt anyone will be accidentally powering down the system during gameplay, because you probably have to hold down the power button for a second or two to turn it off, just like on a wiimote.

Finally, it would be rather stupid for nintendo to include something like a 10mp camera on the system when the screens cant even display that resolution! The vga sensors are already more than enough.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zarxrax said:
The touch screen isn't widescreen, because then there wouldn't be anywhere for the buttons to go. They obviously want to keep the thing small enough to fit in your pocket. I don't think this is going to cause any problems.

Based on the pictures, the 3.5" top screen isn't that much longer than the lower screen. The length of the handheld itself probably could've been increased by 0.5" - 0.75" and the current amount of space between the bottom screen and buttons could've been maintained.

Personally, I think that bottom 4x3 is the one major failing of the 3DS. If not autosterescopic 3D, the bottom screen should've at least been the same 3.5" widescreen size, and 400x240 resolution. The way it is now, the bottom screen will only ever be used for extra information... for actual gameply, Nintendo's gone back to a single-screen device like the game boy. While the DS was limited to only being able to render 3-D graphics on one screen or the other at a time, the screens at least had the same basic capabilities... there were a number of DS games that had scenes or cutscenes which rapidly moved between the top and bottom screens for effect... with the 3DS, that kind of thing will now have much less of an impact.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Personally, I think that bottom 4x3 is the one major failing of the 3DS. If not autosterescopic 3D, the bottom screen should've at least been the same 3.5" widescreen size, and 400x240 resolution. The way it is now, the bottom screen will only ever be used for extra information... for actual gameply, Nintendo's gone back to a single-screen device like the game boy. While the DS was limited to only being able to render 3-D graphics on one screen or the other at a time, the screens at least had the same basic capabilities... there were a number of DS games that had scenes or cutscenes which rapidly moved between the top and bottom screens for effect... with the 3DS, that kind of thing will now have much less of an impact.
No way, its still entirely possible for the screens to switch back and forth. Depending on the type of game played, they might not decide to use the entire width of the top screen for the actual gameplay, and could have some information displayed on the sides or something. Another option is to just cut off part of the image when you switch down to the bottom screen. Movie studios have been doing that for decades to convert widescreen films to 4:3, and most people didn't mind.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zarxrax said:
No way, its still entirely possible for the screens to switch back and forth. Depending on the type of game played, they might not decide to use the entire width of the top screen for the actual gameplay, and could have some information displayed on the sides or something. Another option is to just cut off part of the image when you switch down to the bottom screen. Movie studios have been doing that for decades to convert widescreen films to 4:3, and most people didn't mind.

Yes, it can still be done, but the effect won't be as seamless or nice-looking. Even ignoring the bottom screen's lack of 3-D (admittedly, adding that would've been much more processor-intensive than just making it wide, so I'm not complaining too much on that front), fewer developers are going to choose to implement that kind of screen switching the way the screens are setup on the 3DS. Were they both widescreen, at least, it would look a bit nicer.

I am glad the bottom screen's resolution was increased, though; I will say that. I just wish it'd been a 3.5", 400x240. Ultimately, that would've been a better choice both aesthetically and functionally.

Jaylen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the design isnt exactly final yet...so i suggest we: create a facebook page, and get a twitter army with a myspace 2006 level of trolling and aim it all at nintendo in order to get what we want...

and make sure japan is on board...because that is the heart of the beast...

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nintendo didn't exclude 3D from the bottom because they were lazy. They explained during the conference that touch screens and 3D screens don't really mix at all. So they settled on one of each. I'm slightly disappointed at the bottom screen's lack of widescreen, but it's not that much smaller. It'll be used for the touch elements in games and the top will be used for game play. And for those who were talking about sprawling cutscenes between both screens, you should probably remember that the bottom isn't 3D anyway. How would a half 3D half 2D cutscene look?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Midna said:
Nintendo didn't exclude 3D from the bottom because they were lazy. They explained during the conference that touch screens and 3D screens don't really mix at all.

I'm not sure I agree with their reasoning on that. Why is Sharp mass-producing those parallax barrier touchscreens, if the two technologies don't mix well? Besides, don't most people uses styli, anyway? I don't see that smudges and whatnot would be much of an issue.

However, I can live without 3-D on the bottom screen, even though I believe their reasoning on that was either flawed or misrepresented (the real reason being simple cost). The lack of a bottom widescreen, though, is a major gripe (my only gripe, really).

QUOTE(Midna @ Jun 15 2010, 11:42 PM) So they settled on one of each. I'm slightly disappointed at the bottom screen's lack of widescreen, but it's not that much smaller. It'll be used for the touch elements in games and the top will be used for game play. And for those who were talking about sprawling cutscenes between both screens, you should probably remember that the bottom isn't 3D anyway. How would a half 3D half 2D cutscene look?

True... which is even more of an argument for complete uniformity in the screens. Two autostereoscopic, 3.5" 800x240 LCDs... as wonderful as the 3DS looks now, imagine if it had that? Of course it's more than just the cost of the second screen, it's also the additional processing power you'd need to drive visuals that are that much more complex, etc. Which is, ultimately, why I'm okay with the lack of 3-D. Not because I buy into the line that touchscreens and 3-D don't mix; 'cuz I don't believe that for one second.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
TM2-Megatron said:
However, I can live without 3-D on the bottom screen, even though I believe their reasoning on that was either flawed or misrepresented (the real reason being simple cost).
as many of the hands on impressions have stated, the 3d effect is finicky if looking at it from the wrong angle/distance so having both screens 3d in a clamshell design would mean only one screen would look 3d to you at one time and the other would look blurry

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this video has been posted yet but this was the one of the best I could find where you can actually see the 3D effects. Not to mention there's some nice footage of the booth babes' cleavage.
smileipb2.png

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The next time they show this off, someone needs to take two camcorders, positioned and oriented then much like eyes, record some video, and then with a little editing, taper them together to produce one video with each clip side by side, and upload it. Sure, it won't be the full effect, but a little bit of cross-eyed sickness never hurt anyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Overclock your PS3!!! lol