Hacking Niece Got New N3DS, Has CFW on It

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few days ago, my niece bought a refurbished black New N3DS from GameStop (she didn't wanna go through eBay), and she had to update to 11.9 to do the system transfer. Turns out, the system's previous owner put CFW on it, it has Luma 9.0. So, of course, got the "Failed to Apply Firm 1" error. From all my time reading the forums, I gotta update Luma to 9.1, yeah? There's no SD card in it, so I think Luma's installed to the system, so it can boot up without an SD card. I legit wasn't expecting the system to have CFW, so that's honestly a pleasant surprise.

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
put the latest luma on SD and see if it boots (it should).
Then put homebrew launcher on SD and follow this to get everything important installed.

GM9's already installed on it, too, so can I just skip installing it? Or should I do it anyways just to be sure it's the latest version? Would it cause any issues if I installed it again?

EDIT: I just checked again, GM9's on an older version, so I should install it again anyways.

Last edited by Steel-Winged_Pegasus,

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaargh, this is a bit annoying, the guide says to copy GodMode9.firm from the GodMode9 zip file, but I don't see that file even after using the search function for it. I managed to find the gm9 folder, but not the actual file, unless I'm missing something.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Aaargh, this is a bit annoying, the guide says to copy GodMode9.firm from the GodMode9 zip file, but I don't see that file even after using the search function for it. I managed to find the gm9 folder, but not the actual file, unless I'm missing something.
Download the latest version, open the .zip file and it's right there, not inside the folders, it's "GodMode9.firm". Just make sure to have file extensions visible in case that's the reason you can't find it.

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so turns out I somehow downloaded the wrong thing. Dunno how that happened, but everything's good to go now once I figured out what I did wrong.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so turns out I somehow downloaded the wrong thing. Dunno how that happened, but everything's good to go now once I figured out what I did wrong.
Make sure the n3DS can boot without the micro SD card. To do this, follow the CTRNAND Luma3DS section in the guide Updating B9S. In fact, it's probably better to go through the motion of updating boot9strap just to be sure her's is up-to-date.

If you need a setup that's more stock-like or acts like it's unhacked for the most part, substitute the Luma3DS boot.firm on the card with Rei-Six like here.

Other than that, make a copy of the SysNAND *.bin image and keep it safe somewhere on your computer or external drive. This is in the event her n3DS ever badly software crashes and needs to recovery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1