Nickelodeon Kart Racers announced

IMG_0042.jpg

With the popularity of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the upcoming Team Sonic Racing, it's no wonder that other companies would try to join in on the kart racing genre. This time, it's Nickelodeon. Spongebob, Rugrats, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters will be making their way to the newly announced Nickelodeon Kart Racers. Characters from classic Nick franchises will be represented in this game, which will offer 24 different levels to race through. It'll also offer local multiplayer, as well as a single player campaign. GameMill Entertainment will be publishing the title, which will release on October 23, for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. There will be both a physical and digital release, for $39.99.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
Trophies
XP
Country
France
INVADER ZIM!!!
INVADER BLOODY ZIM MUST BE IN THERE!!

Now if only Zagstudios would release a Miraculous game <З

I actually never noticed your profile was entirely miraculous-based, especially cat noir lol. That's a great show nonetheless.

Now, a nick racing game ? I don't know, I'm more of a Disney Channel guy, but this ***could*** be a good game. Only time will tell.

Reactions: DinohScene
D

Deleted User

Reminds me of Nickelodeon's other attempt at doing a kart racing game years ago. Used to play it quite a bit as a kid.
nicktoons_racing_psx.jpg

Given how this new game has fewer playable characters than the old PS1 game, on top of missing IPs such as The Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron, I don't have much faith in it.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that Nickelodeon makes the current TMNT cartoon, but all the same they look really out of place with what I'd consider the real Nicktoons.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
since nickelodeon is famous for slime I would have preferred a splatoon ripoff maybe with some class based uniqueness around the different characters

missed opportunity

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting that there's no mention of Fairly Odd Parents, especially after recent controversy. I'm sure there will be more than just that--there's promo art for a Hey Arnold stage.
I used to love that show - i watched it all the time! (When I was like 6 or something ofc)

Skittyusedcovet

Gbatemp’s Favourite Skitty
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reminds me of Nickelodeon's other attempt at doing a kart racing game years ago. Used to play it quite a bit as a kid.
View attachment 137220
Given how this new game has fewer playable characters than the old PS1 game, on top of missing IPs such as The Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron, I don't have much faith in it.

I hope cat dog makes an appearance. I loved that show growing up. Also Cow and chicken as well. I want to play as the red devil with the big butt(Dont judge me he had a nice butt:ha:).

mizorechan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mario Kart has set the bar quite low* for games of this style, sadly all that also want to play seem content to imitate Mario Kart (getting the copy of the copy and weaker than the original thing going on) rather than taking the concept and running with it

The first games inspired by Mario Kart in the 90s are quite good. Street Racer is the first one which comes to my mind. But I have to agree now most of them are pure shit.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can I race as Amanda Bynes vs. Zoey 101?
yes
you can also race as Dan Schneider too but his white econoline van is very slow and does not handle very well
exclusive power ups include ,throwing candy onto the track ,and the hymen divide power slide (easily countered by using Amanda Bynes Bong toss or by Zoey by dropping her decoy foot item cube)

Reactions: BlissfulZane

BrineBlade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably is the best fun time kart racer* at present and that is just really depressing when I think about it.

I mentioned a few things I find fault with. The menus are where I would start -- it is almost unforgivable that I don't have the kinds of customisation that should be there, or indeed is there in the case of things like Smash Brothers (why can't I have a custom tournament of my own design, never mind tweaking variables). That lack of concern for game design carries over into other aspects. Worse is all the post double dash** (or maybe DS) ones I have played seem to be fairly aimless in their direction and just adding pointless features that do nothing to further gameplay and I would argue ultimately detract (coins, the transforming vehicles, bikes might have been something interesting but their implementation sucked, tricks have been interesting in the past in other games -- plenty of off road motorbike things seem to have good takes but fail for me here).

Back on the N64 and PS1 we saw other devs do things -- other than the stupid hub world and boss gated stuff I have long maintained Diddy Kong racing on the N64 as superior to Mario Kart. Lego Racers and some of the Crash Team racing games being other examples from things around that time which did really well. Sadly this desire to better the concept seems to have vanished or forgotten and we are back with weak clones. As far as "invented the genre" then I am not sure what to say there. In a very strict technical sense then maybe, however look at any of the "race to the horizon" games from the C64 on up and many arcade games of similar eras*** and I would say it was obvious.

*pauses to remember fondly

**by no means a game I am also not prepared to criticise at length as well.

***Not so many recall it today but Super Off Road was highly influential for its time, bit light on direct weapons but pickups very much being a thing

Similarly take a look at 1991's (mid-late 1992 being the date for Mario Kart on the SNES) Road Rash, which is another massively popular series that has been somewhat forgotten, and tell me that turning it into a closed track is not an obvious move.

Also Micro machines (though the sequels are probably a more obvious comparison, whether they lifted it from Mario Kart I do not know).

I will spare videos but see also Spy Hunter and Chase HQ want to be mentioned in this.
In terms of a direct thing I can point at and say this did Mario Kart style first (similar to how I might compare the 1994 Street Racer game) beforehand I am at something of a loss, again though I maintain it was an obvious direction to head in.

Have you tried LittleBigPlanet Karting? I think you'd like it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay