Nick is releasing a Smash Bros. clone called Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

If you're getting tired of playing Super Smash Bros., with all of their sword users, you'll be able to turn your heads towards a party fighter that makes the most out of nostalgic cartoon characters instead of video gaming ones. Nickelodeon is releasing All-Star Brawl, set for release this Fall on all current and last-gen platforms, except for PC. This Smash clone lets you duke it out between Danny Phantom, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, SpongeBob, Invader Zim, Reptar, and more. According to IGN, who revealed the game, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl will have over 20 levels based on all the different cartoons featured in the game, with even more to be revealed at a later date. It'll also let you fight for fun, or for glory, online or locally, in both casual or competitive matches.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In an alternate universe, this game is better than Smash Bros.
Dude it very well might be better than Smash Bros in this universe, at least where online play is concerned. Nintendo both didn't use rollback netcode AND removed online features that were present in Sm4sh for Ultimate. Just...why?

Smash will remain the better game in local play, of course, for a multitude of reasons; but I'm hoping All-Star Brawl sells well enough to light a fire under Ninty's ass and make them update Ultimate's online.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be laughing my ass off if Ludosity and Fair Play Labs can do something better than what gaming giant Sony attempted and failed at.

The secret for this game's predicted success is having no shame. This is a one for one a Smash Bros Ripoff. Why change what works?..... That was Sony's issue.

They didn't want to seem like they copied SSB completely so they invented their own godawful game mechanics in PS All Stars. As much as I hate to say it, they should have just made it a 1:1 smash clone with PS characters...like what this is except Nicktoons

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
Reactions: Xzi and DarkCoffe64

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So firmly in "believe it when I see it" camp that nothing short of playable in front of me will have be believing otherwise but I will note many kart games attempted by these sorts of devs have lumped with doing tie in have done well, many platformers are pretty tight when it comes to controls (levels/challenge usually less so) even on the handhelds, several of the "action adventure" have ended up with non ironic fans and some of the puzzler stuff also does well.
If they try to clone smash then no hope, if they "fun party brawler, go" like all the pretenders to the mario kart title in recent years have not done (not sure if there was a wave of purges after the N64 era where there was lots of good stuff) then I can see it. Granted given what looks like the main dev was responsible for both of the Nickelodeon kart racers in recent years and publisher at least for Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers.

Also somewhat impressive to see film and TV cash in games these days. I had thought they had gone away somewhat.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These types of games are usually not good and are made for a quick buck, so hopes aren't that high for this.
I may be a bit biased since one of the devs is my best friend, but his company has another Smash-like with their own characters (Slap City) that is very highly regarded among fans of this type of game.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fighting games are the worst, right after racing and sports
Fighting games are fun if you're good at them (which I am not, I suck lol I need more practice), a lot of racing games can be fun depending if you want something wacky like Mario Kart or something realistic like Gran Turismo or something, and I never really got into sports games since they're not my thing so I can't speak for that.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario kart or something like snowboard kids 2 are fine, it's just realistic racers are boring
while i don't like realistic racing games personally i can see the appeal, I'm going to be doing a LS v8 swap on my Mitsubishi mighty max mini truck soon, and i will more than likely take the ridiculous little thing to the local race track when i do. that said, i never really was able to get into racing games but everything has audience.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want some really weird deep cuts. Henry and June from KaBlam. Snap from Chalk Zone. Tony Hawk from Rocket Power. Otis from Barnyard. El fuckin' Tigre. Robbie Rotten from Lazy Town. And last but not least, Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.

If any one of these characters are excluded I will lose my shit. Nintendo is dead to me.

If this is really a Smash clone give me a third party rep, I demand Courage the Cowardly Dog and The Powerpuff Girls as DLC

Reactions: Xzi
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I may be a bit biased since one of the devs is my best friend, but his company has another Smash-like with their own characters (Slap City) that is very highly regarded among fans of this type of game.
Oh dang, they worked on Slap city? That game... slaps, lmao.
Haven't played it in quite some time as I'm a loner loser, lol, but I remember that game being stupidly good, lol.

Reactions: HelpTheWretched

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
single player was kinda fun the multiplayer was meh but still acceptable better than that tmnt smash up ubisoft did imo.
The funny thing is that TMNT Smash-Up was developed with Game Arts, which also worked on Smash Bros. Brawl.

But then, no one really liked Brawl either, so maybe that's not so funny.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I probably wouldn't even recognise most of the cast, since I was never a Nick kid; I did watch a few shows, like Fairly Odd-Parents and Danny Phantom, but mostly I stuck to Cartoon Network and Boomerang (and Discovery Channel, for Mythbusters; Destroyed In Seconds was another show I liked).
SpongeBob I never cared for either; the cast is just too bleurgh in terms of personality (Patrick's stupid, Bob is a stupid crybaby with an irritating 'laugh', Pearl and Sandy just shouldn't exist, and Plankton's just a worse Team Rocket - and yes, I had pretty much the same opinions when I was younger too), so seeing him as this game's mascot is just baffling.

Would this even have any worthwhile singleplayer content?

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Too many tried to copy Smash Bros. even Sony's Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was good in my opinion especially with the familiar playstation characters. Sadly, it didn't get any traction and now look what they did to Kratos... dancing in Fortnite.

Anyway, to whoever this game is intended to, hopefully they will have fun with it. Games like this are all about fun especially if there are crossovers of your favorite playable characters from childhood.

Smash Bros. gameplay is just too unique and interesting for me compared to typical fighting games but to each their own, some prefer Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, 2D anime style fighting games like Guilty Gear, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: