OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
tmnt_2011.jpg

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shares a comedic sensibility with the Nickelodeon DNA, with added layers of action and fantasy that have kept this property an evergreen favorite with multiple generations of audiences. We are extremely happy to have the opportunity to be able to focus on this property and creatively re-introduce it to a new generation of kids." - Cyma Zarghami, President of Nickelodeon/MTVN Kids and Family Group
Source
Why...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this was the mid-90's it would have been a good thing, in this day and age however its neither a good or bad thing.

I guess that means THQ will make the games from now on.

Lelouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a great idea. I'd love to see the turtles get revived and become as popular as it was when I was watching them as a kid. I don't know how good or popular the series was on 4Kids though. Anyway cool post.. I love the turtles.

taken from a link in your link

QUOTE said:
Once ubiquitous kid's franchise Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been acquired by cable's Nickelodeon. The Viacom-owned network has purchased the global rights to the Turtles from The Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment (that produces the current-running TMNT Saturday morning show) in a deal that is estimated at around $60 million.

Additionally (perhaps, most notably,) the deal will also give Nickelodeon complete rights over merchandising, as it continues its decades-old relationship with toy manufacturer, Playmates. (Who made the original Turtles figures back in the late 80's-early 90's heyday.)

The acquisition could be a huge coup for the iconic network, who during the 90's, peaked with franchises like The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rugrats, All That, Doug, among a plethora of others that defined the childhoods of "mid-to-late 80's babies." (Personally, I jumped ship after Pinwheel and Today's Special. Anyone remember those shows?) According to Cyma Zarghami, President of Nickelodeon/MTVN Kids and Family Group:

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shares a comedic sensibility with the Nickelodeon DNA, with added layers of action and fantasy that have kept this property an evergreen favorite with multiple generations of audiences. We are extremely happy to have the opportunity to be able to focus on this property and creatively re-introduce it to a new generation of kids."

It will be interesting to see how much of a game-changer this acquisition could become. Nickelodeon, along with The Cartoon Network, face some obstacles from a changing field where content distribution has changed, and overall cultural shifts seem to be leading a generation of younger viewers away from their specialty. There could be an argument that the atmosphere is one of a decreasing relevance of the Nickelodeon brand (which hasn't really made an impact during this decade) and even of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block. (How long could tentpolling anime and comedic vanity projects in between Family Guy reruns really last?)

With Disney's recent $4 billion acquisition of Marvel, their already prospering cable channels (thanks to the Hannah Montana/Jonas Bros. era teeny-bopper revival) has just become an embarrassment of riches in the department of franchises. Whether the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (a quarter-century old franchise well past its peak in popularity) can serve as a watershed moment towards a Nickelodeon revival is uncertain. What we do know, is that the current TMNT animated series is still set to run on the CW Network's TheCW4Kids Saturday morning programming block until a Aug. 31, 2010 expiration. What will Nickelodeon have in store by then? Yet ANOTHER rebooted animated series? Perhaps they may even be bold enough to produce a live-action series? (In the spirit of countering Disney XD's live-action series, Aaron Stone?) The aforementioned statement by Cyma Zarghami sounded like a rather ambitious mission statement. It certainly doesn't sound like this will climax merely with old TMNT reruns. Rather, it seems that BIG things may be on the horizon.

Cowabunga, dudes -- it looks like we might have a gnarly fight on our hands!

Update: THR is now saying that the plan appears to be a new CGI-animated series, as well as a feature film set for 2012. Personally, I think a live-action series would have brought more momentum. However, you can never tell. Sometimes all it takes is the field to be made up of the right combination of nostalgic adults and children receptive to the mythos and "Turtlemania" could easily be revived.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Well as far as me watching cartoons from NickToons, they can do a great job on the TMNT and not hold back any punches. At least them doing this will give them time to revitalize the series like it was in the old days. X-men Wolverine, anyone? =)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Well as far as me watching cartoons from NickToons, they can do a great job on the TMNT and not hold back any punches. At least them doing this will give them time to revitalize the series like it was in the old days. X-men Wolverine, anyone? =)

Wolverine and the X-Men is a well done series but I'm getting the feeling it will be short though since it's close to the halfway point. If this does go on Nicktoons as an exclusive, it will surely be good, trust me TMNT got the best deal, think of what Spiderman is going to get with Disney, they already have one Spiderman series that blows and there will surely be others.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The franchise was going down hill anyway, this might as well be the curb stomp. I watched it as a kid, but nowadays it seems only capable of crappy video games. By that, I mean current, more recent TMNT games, since the older arcade-style ones were excellent.

Oh well. I don't really care.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Vidboy10 said:
Law said:
Vidboy10 said:
I wonder what The Nostalgia Critic thinks of this.

Who gives a shit?
...Was i asking you?

You'd have gotten the same answer from anybody, what you said was the equivalent of saying "hurr hurr i wonder what an unfunny basement nerd would think of this".

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
Vidboy10 said:
Law said:
Vidboy10 said:
I wonder what The Nostalgia Critic thinks of this.

Who gives a shit?
...Was i asking you?

You'd have gotten the same answer from anybody, what you said was the equivalent of saying "hurr hurr i wonder what an unfunny basement nerd would think of this".
Well still, if your just going to say ''Who gives a shit?'' Is pretty fucking pointless.
And really, if i were you i just wouldn't post.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Enjoyed the cartoons for a short while, but it got boring fast. And I don't see what's the big deal about Nickelodeon buying the turtles. It's the same, right?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA TMNT that came out in 2007 was a great game.....that was the last TMNT game that was any good that I remember. It was just like the old arcade games.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
The GBA TMNT that came out in 2007 was a great game.....that was the last TMNT game that was any good that I remember. It was just like the old arcade games.
You mean the movie one? Yeah, that game was awesome. Freaking great beat-'em-up game. Played Battle Nexus, but it wasn't as good as TMNT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
  • Spider2190 @ Spider2190:
    Heya
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Spider2190, hi