Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Someone had to start this.

Yeah. Let's deliberately start an argument about a handheld that's been out for like three weeks and only has launch games, vs a handheld that nobody has any clear details whatsoever on. Good idea. Get out your flamethrowers.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Yes. Because Nintendo doesn't have a history of lawsuits.

Clearly you know little about your beloved Ninny. Back in NES/SNES days they were the Suing Trolls. They even stole the patent for Tetris, never paid a penny for the game that wasn't even developed by them, but by a guy who unfortunatelly lived in Soviet Russia, so he couldn't really claim Tetris as "private intellectual property". Not only that, they nuked the release of his game for the NES to remain the sole Tetris supplier for their hardware. The game was ready and already in distribution and WHAM, they confiscate and destroy all carts, all in the name of law and order. They stole the Wiimotes too - a nearly exact same controller was being developed for the Sega Dreamcast. I could go on, but what for? You do that yourself.

Your lack of infortmation amuses me. Every corporation is the same, every corporation is full of dicks.

it depends on how they look and act
i can plain out say: all existing countries' leads are corrupt, it's a generic fact everyone knows
ofc nintendo has the "dark" side too
what matters is: how dark it is
and sony is cleary worse than nintendo

they are good at making consoles and stuff, but their policy disgust me
closedeyes.gif

feels like sega back in the early 90s....

also, agreed with midna

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
In 1984, Soviet Academy of Sciences researcher Alexey Pajitnov alongside Dmitry Pavlovsky and Vadim Gerasimov developed Tetris out of a desire to create a two-player puzzle game,[1] and the game spread commercially amongst computers. Mirrorsoft president Robert Stein approached Pajitnov with an offer to distribute Tetris worldwide, and secured the rights to license the title, which were in turn granted to Spectrum HoloByte.[2] After seeing the game run on an Atari ST, programmer Ed Logg petitioned Atari Games to license it, and approached Stein.[3] With the rights secured, Atari Games produced an arcade version of Tetris,[4] and under their Tengen brand name began development to port the title to the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in May 1989.[5][6]

Tengen along with Spectrum HoloByte later licensed the rights to Henk Rogers on behalf of Nintendo to distribute Tetris in Japan, and Rogers traveled to Moscow to secure permission to distribute Tetris with the Game Boy. Around this same time, Nintendo approached Spectrum HoloByte on the prospects of developing a version of Tetris for the Game Boy, and a representative of Mirrorsoft, Kevin Maxwell, traveled to Russia to secure permission on their behalf.[2] However, because Stein had secured the rights from Pajitnov directly and not from the Russian authorities,[2] the USSR's Ministry of Software and Hardware Export stated that the console rights to Tetris had been licensed to nobody, and that Atari Games had only been licensed the rights to produce arcade games with the property.[7] They sent a fax to Maxwell in England with 48 hours to respond; Maxwell however was still in Russia at the time and received the fax late, resulting in licensing being distributed to Nintendo.[2] In April 1989, Tengen, who had previously filed an anti-trust suit against Nintendo, sued Nintendo again claiming rights to distribute Tetris on the NES, and Nintendo counter-sued citing infringement of trademark.[2][8] In June 1989, a month after the release of Tengen's Tetris, a U.S. District Court Judge issued an injunction barring Tengen from further distributing the game, and further ordered all existing copies of the game be destroyed.[6] As a result, 268,000 Tetris cartridges were recalled and destroyed.[5]

First of all, the creator had gotten enough compensation. Through Mirrorsoft first, then Atari arcade systems. Tengan was the developer for the Atari, and was going to start on the NES. Through some bad miscommunication, Nintendo received the rights for the console versions and not Tengan. Tengan was inadvertently pissed off and decided to file a lawsuit on Nintendo. Who apparently took offense to a direct assault on their new trademark for the NES.

Seriously, Nintendo stole nothing. They received permission to do the console version, and the version for their other systems. Tengan (who also had previous problems with Nintendo) didn't like the fact that they had lost, so they pulled a Sony.

EDIT:
That controller looks like nothing like the Wiimote. It's two handles with a dpad on one, and run by accelerometers. It's wired to each other and the console. He did mention that they were working on a wireless one, but I do believe the project was pulled before that. Also, accelerometers aren't his patent. If you are referring to a comment that states his patents were stolen, it doesn't provide a source either.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I voted for the 3DS cuz I know that the NGP will have a scary price point in Singapore (maybe not as bad in the US and local gameshops have been already warning us that it should be S$600 for that beast, which is worse than a PS3 pricepoint today and nearly double the cost of the 3DS). Online rumors keep stating that it costs the same as the 3DS but seriously I highly doubt it. In addition, NGP has too many TPS/FPS games (announced, we still cant confirm the launch list) and not really a lot of RPG, I really can get kinda sick playing shooters all the time... 3DS has more variety coming this year. Those are the main reasons why I picked the 3DS. I'm not a fanboy or what but what really worries me is the price.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's only natural that Tengen wanted to be compensated for their game for ALL of the systems it was released for. What Nintendo did was snatching the copyright from their noses since USSR's cabinet sucked massive ass as far as copyright infringement is concerned and then filing a lawsuit stating that the real developer stole their program and stalling any profit at all, even causing damadges by recalling the carts. Is it legal? Yes. Is it being a thieving bastard and releasing software you did not develop under your own name, also known as plagiarism, thus being a massive twat? Yes, it is.

Remember that "according to the law" does not necessarily mean "justice" in all cases - law is not perfect. The very idea of being twat-dev is releasing someone else's work and covering all bases so you don't get caught with your hand in the toilet. That's what law divisions are for in big companies.

You can be capitalistic on me all you want, the truth is that Nintendo acted like assholes. Whether you agree or agree to disagree is irrelevant here. The same goes for the Wii controller.

jerome27

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if NGP costs $50. It violates every rule of making a good portable game system.

Its also just a more powerful version of something that has already failed. Best of luck sony. You're going to need it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, a topic. We're suddenly back on it!

I'm throwing my hat in for the NGP. I thought the 3DS was good at first when it was announced but I slowly just felt that the NGP was a superior system. Nintendo first parties are not worth nearly as much to me anymore. I loved the PSP library and I'm assuming the software trend will continue on the NGP. The 3DS has offered very little compelling to me (outside of MGS3D, which may be a complete bust if it's just your standard "gussy the graphics" port) and I'm sure when E3 rolls around this year that the NGP will be getting some official worthy titles.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
It's only natural that Tengen wanted to be compensated for their game for ALL of the systems it was released for. What Nintendo did was snatching the copyright from their noses since USSR's cabinet sucked massive ass as far as copyright infringement is concerned and then filing a lawsuit stating that the real developer stole their program and stalling any profit at all, even causing damadges by recalling the carts. Is it legal? Yes. Is it being a thieving bastard and releasing software you did not develop under your own name, also known as plagiarism, thus being a massive twat? Yes, it is.

You can be capitalistic on me all you want, the truth is that Nintendo acted like assholes. Whether you agree or agree to disagree is irrelevant here. The same goes for the Wii controller.
Actually, it's completely relevant. This is all opinion, and I see no fact that they acted like a**holes, simply the actions of Nintendo put into the words of two different people (you and Sterling) and made to sound good, neutral, or bad based on your opinion.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
machomuu said:
Actually, it's completely relevant. This is all opinion, and I see no fact that they acted like a**holes, simply the actions of Nintendo put into the words of two different people (you and Sterling) and made to sound good, neutral, or bad based on your opinion.

Makes me wonder what you'd say if you spent alot of time tinkering on a program of your own that you want to sell and one day wake up to realize that because of one guy "forgetting" to send in your patent papers someone steals all your work, profits from it and shows you the middle finger with a huge grin, and when you actually release your own, better and improved version, that person puts you in court and causes massive losses to your company.

Give me a break.
rolleyes.gif

I leave the issue for everyone's conscience - you decide whether it was being a bunch of assholes or just being quick and smart. Or both. Frankly, I don't care that much.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Wow, a topic. We're suddenly back on it!

I'm throwing my hat in for the NGP. I thought the 3DS was good at first when it was announced but I slowly just felt that the NGP was a superior system. Nintendo first parties are not worth nearly as much to me anymore. I loved the PSP library and I'm assuming the software trend will continue on the NGP. The 3DS has offered very little compelling to me (outside of MGS3D, which may be a complete bust if it's just your standard "gussy the graphics" port) and I'm sure when E3 rolls around this year that the NGP will be getting some official worthy titles.
You probably should note that you have a LOT of assumptions.

I can say the same, saying that the NGP will MAYBE have a horrible lineup, POSSIBLY have terrible support... And so on.

I am waiting until we get confirmation on what the NGP can even do. Hell, both the NGP and 3DS seem like graphics whores to me.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
machomuu said:

Makes me wonder what you'd say if you spent alot of time tinkering on a program of your own that you want to sell and one day wake up to realize that because of one guy "forgetting" to send in your patent papers someone steals all your work, profits from it and shows you the middle finger with a huge grin, and when you actually release your own, better and improved version, that person puts you in court and causes massive losses to your company.

Give me a break.
rolleyes.gif
See, your doing exactly what I just stated.

Also, here
kitkat.jpg

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
You probably should note that you have a LOT of assumptions.

Well no shit, it's a system with barely any information about it. What else am I gonna say, the NGP looks good because it uses buttons? There's like hardly any games officially announced, just franchises confirmed to be coming to the system.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
You must remember though, all of this wasn't Nintendo's fault. Especially the part with the Soviet Union. If you were in employment at Big N at the time, you would have no say. Nintendo got to it first (console rights), and when Tengan tried to fight it, they lost. Which is why there is no other versions of tetris made by Tengan (except the now collectors items).

Remember that "according to the law" does not necessarily mean "justice" in all cases - law is not perfect. The very idea of being twat-dev is releasing someone else's work and covering all bases so you don't get caught with your hand in the toilet. That's what law divisions are for in big companies.
Nintendo didn't release another company's work. Their version was made from scratch. Just like Tengan's. It even says in the article that Tengan's version is superior because of an oversight in Nintendo's code. They just acquired the liscense for the console before Tengan.

I'm not being capitalistic. I'm stating the facts from the article. You purposely used misleading statements to suggest that Nintendo stole someones work. Which they did not. If Tengan had not fought the decsion, we might have had Two versions of Tetris on the NES.
Also, the Youtube video doesn't equal proof that Nintendo stole patents. Almost sued doesn't equal sued.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for the KitKat, but I prefere Twix.

Touche though
wink.gif

TwixPauseLogo.png

Peace
wink.gif

@Sterling Nintendo's version has the exact same game mechanics. It's the same game, a clone. How is that *not* stealing someone's work, I have no idea. I'm not being misleading - everyone has access to said articles.

Appart from using the *exact same components* and the *exact same technology*, it truly does not mean they stole anything from Midway, too. The difference is that Nintendo used Bluetooth waves, which weren't even invented yet as far as I remember in Dreamcast days. They'd have to use standard radio frequencies, thus causing alot of "noise" in the signal.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just asking... Did Sony ever overexaggerate on their hardware specs before (like on it's previous consoles)?

Guild: I guess you are not into resident evil: revelations as well? It is reported as one of the most exciting games on the 3DS and I'm surprised that you are not into that. Assassin's Creed is also coming to the 3DS, together with some really nice RPGs. Conduit 3DS is also confirmed and n-Space is also said to have unannounced titles (not one but I think two/three, can't remember). Just telling you though, as you make the 3DS gamelist sound pretty hopeless. (I'm not saying that the NGP has bad games but IMO all games are great as they are hard work of developers). No offense to anyone though.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Just asking... Did Sony ever overexaggerate on their hardware specs before (like on it's previous consoles)?

Guild: I guess you are not into resident evil: revelations as well? It is reported as one of the most exciting games on the 3DS and I'm surprised that you are not into that. Assassin's Creed is also coming to the 3DS, together with some really nice RPGs. Conduit 3DS is also confirmed and n-Space is also said to have unannounced titles (not one but I think two/three, can't remember). Just telling you though, as you make the 3DS gamelist sound pretty hopeless. No offense to anyone though.
Guild doesn't like turn based RPGs. Though, I am looking forward to the NGP, moral reasons are dictating whether or not I'll be getting one.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Guild: I guess you are not into resident evil: revelations as well? It is reported as one of the most exciting games on the 3DS and I'm surprised that you are not into that. Assassin's Creed is also coming to the 3DS, together with some really nice RPGs. Conduit 3DS is also confirmed and n-Space is also said to have unannounced titles (not one but I think two/three, can't remember). Just telling you though, as you make the 3DS gamelist sound pretty hopeless. No offense to anyone though.

RE: Revelations I've still seen barely anything about and honestly, I haven't really liked Resident Evil games outside of 4. Call me too "modern", but that's the deal.

Assassin's Creed on the 3DS will probably just be some multiplat cash-in when the next Creed game comes out. Like they did with the last two games.

Why do I want a FPS on a handheld system? One that's as multiplayer focused as The Conduit?

The 3DS games list honestly is mainly just ports and remakes. Pretty much ever compelling game for the system I can play presently. Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, MGS3D, SMT: Devil Survivor, Tales of the Abyss, Super Street Fighter IV. The original titles don't really interest me either (as you pointed out). Maybe it's just preference but I don't see any draw to it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Nah, I don't want to start another dispute (I reek so see them).

Hence, the best solution is to:
Wait for E3.

By then, I'm sure the NGP will have it's launch day gamelist, confirmed launch price even and all other stuff that we are currently debating our a**es on. Also, by then maybe the 3DS will have a price cut and the announcement of project cafe?
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat