machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Duskye said:
IMO, I just play games for the fun of things. I could care less about graphics and all that crap. If the game in question is good, then I'll play it.
So do you think Mario 64 or Galaxy would still be as good as it is if it look like the pixel Marios from the past.

Not saying it wouldn't, just asking.

machomuu said:
KingVamp said:
I do think you hating on halo or any other FPS to much tho.
Well I only play most with mutiplayer...

I play variety of games.
No, I love Halo and like various other FPS'.

It may be different gameplay,but terrible gameplay? I'm not so sure.

I never said anything about Halo and other FPS' having terrible gameplay, where did you get that idea? I said that only Mainstream Gamers would play a game with terrible gameplay but amazng graphics.

nutella said:
QUOTE(machomuu @ Apr 23 2011, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE(nutella @ Apr 22 2011, 11:41 PM)
I don't understand why it's bad to be a graphics whore but good to be a gameplay whore. I swear, some people get so elitist about how much they care about gameplay. It's all up to you though, if you honestly don't give care about graphics, more power to you. Just don't call me a graphics whore because I like my games to look nice.

To me, good games are a complete package. If the game has shitty gameplay, it's a shit game. Likewise, if a game has shitty graphics, it's a shit game. And I'm not saying games like, for example, Super Meat Boy are terrible. That couldn't be further from the truth. Super Meat Boy has awesome graphics. Good graphics don't necessarily mean realistic graphics.
Well just because someone's anti-graphics whore doesn't mean they're a gameplay whore. For instance, graphics whore for the most part don't like retro games. I love retro games, but I don't give a crap about graphics, that doesn't make me a gameplay whore. In fact, who would play a game that has terrible gameplay but amazing graphics? Mainstream gamers, a majority filled with Cod/Halo/FPS playing gamers with no taste in video games, as they are guided by looks and the mainstream, thus they don't require taste in games.
Don't assume "Mainstream gamers" who play CoD/Halo/FPS games care for nothing but graphics. If that were true, they wouldn't be playing CoD.
I didn't assume that, I assume that they are guided by looks and the mainstream such as Halo and Call of Duty.

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think too many people assume that graphics means strictly pushing more polygons, lighting, etc., when in actuality there's far more to it than that, like the art style. Even with the limitations of systems like the Wii, games like Galaxy look stunning. MP3 as well. Even TP is one of the best looking Wii games, and it's a GC port...

So graphics DO matter. Always. But they don't need to be technologically advanced to be great.

(Yoshi's Island (SNES) vs. Black Ops. Which one do you think has the better graphics?)

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
machomuu said:
I said that only Mainstream Gamers would play a game with terrible gameplay but amazng graphics.
Graphics certainly attract a lot of attention, but the reason why Mainstream gamers continue to play games like CoD and Halo is because it delivers on all the basic facets of gaming for a quick pick up and play experience that you can really get into very quickly. Mainstream gamers love games that are easy to pick but difficult to master. I agree with you that they are guided by graphics, but the reason people continue to play games is far beyond just graphics.

But my whole point is this. If someone wants an NGP because it has better graphics, he is not a graphics whore and it doesn't make him an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. I'm more or less defending Shabutie78. He makes a fair point and he shouldn't be scrutinized for it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y05h1 said:
I think too many people assume that graphics means strictly pushing more polygons, lighting, etc., when in actuality there's far more to it than that, like the art style. Even with the limitations of systems like the Wii, games like Galaxy look stunning. MP3 as well. Even TP is one of the best looking Wii games, and it's a GC port...

So graphics DO matter. Always. But they don't need to be technologically advanced to be great.

(Yoshi's Island (SNES) vs. Black Ops. Which one do you think has the better graphics?)
Actually you said in no way how the graphics are relevant to the game other than it's art style.

nutella said:
QUOTE(machomuu @ Apr 23 2011, 03:06 PM) I said that only Mainstream Gamers would play a game with terrible gameplay but amazng graphics.
Graphics certainly attract a lot of attention, but the reason why Mainstream gamers continue to play games like CoD and Halo is because it delivers on all the basic facets of gaming for a quick pick up and play experience that you can really get into very quickly. Mainstream gamers love games that are easy to pick but difficult to master. I agree with you that they are guided by graphics, but the reason people continue to play games is far beyond just graphics.

But my whole point is this. If someone wants an NGP because it has better graphics, he is not a graphics whore and it doesn't make him an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. I'm more or less defending Shabutie78. He makes a fair point and he shouldn't be scrutinized for it.
I agree with you, I know that people aren't getting the NGP just for graphics (I sure won't be), though I think people use that as a defense mechanism when someone insults the DS' graphics.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Y05h1 said:

Thank you. I was just about to mention Yoshi's Island. Graphics are always relevant because it completes the whole gaming experience, whether you want it to are not.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Shabutie78 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
There's one reason, and one reason only that you're an idiot, that's because you're a graphics whore.

Look at what happened with the DS and PSP. PSP had PS2 type graphics, yet the DS just simply destroyed the shit out of it. Gameplay > Graphics. And if you don't believe that, then you can't call yourself a gamer.
first of all, how does being a graphics whore -even if i was one- make me an idiot? because i like nice, current-gen graphics, and not 10 year old outdated shitty ones, i think that makes me.. well.. the opposite of an idiot.
also, the graphics had nothing to do with why the DS "destroyed" the PSP. look at costs, the amount of little kids who want a DS (we all know who nintendo is aiming for with their products), and other factors. it's never gameplay > graphics. that may be your opinion, but just because you think so doesn't make it true for every gamer in the world. i think gameplay and graphics both play major parts in a release. i mentioned the 3DS' shit graphics because nintendo is still milking the fuck out of your wallets and they haven't even stepped up to current gen yet.
what makes you think you can define what a gamer is or isn't? just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion, they're not a "gamer?"
lolnazi.

You think wrong.

I'm all for supporting graphics + gameplay, but your last post, just spoke of graphics and you really did come off as a graphics whore. You still are to be honest with you.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Shabutie78 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
There's one reason, and one reason only that you're an idiot, that's because you're a graphics whore.

Look at what happened with the DS and PSP. PSP had PS2 type graphics, yet the DS just simply destroyed the shit out of it. Gameplay > Graphics. And if you don't believe that, then you can't call yourself a gamer.
first of all, how does being a graphics whore -even if i was one- make me an idiot? because i like nice, current-gen graphics, and not 10 year old outdated shitty ones, i think that makes me.. well.. the opposite of an idiot.
also, the graphics had nothing to do with why the DS "destroyed" the PSP. look at costs, the amount of little kids who want a DS (we all know who nintendo is aiming for with their products), and other factors. it's never gameplay > graphics. that may be your opinion, but just because you think so doesn't make it true for every gamer in the world. i think gameplay and graphics both play major parts in a release. i mentioned the 3DS' shit graphics because nintendo is still milking the fuck out of your wallets and they haven't even stepped up to current gen yet.
what makes you think you can define what a gamer is or isn't? just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion, they're not a "gamer?"
lolnazi.

You think wrong.

I'm all for supporting graphics + gameplay, but your last post, just spoke of graphics and you really did come off as a graphics whore. You still are to be honest with you.

The DS was more successful because this was Sony's first run in the handheld market. Nintendo still completely dominants the handheld market and has for a very long time. Graphics and game play mean nothing, as many PSP games have both. It just comes down to Nintendo vs Sony. In the case of handhelds, Nintendo is the king. Sony has been slowly gaining popularity, but it will most likely boom with the NGP. Nintendo will still have dominance, but Sony will at least be able to be a legitimate competitor.

I was a little surprised that Sony had even tried to enter such a one sided market. They've made their mark though.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Wait where is the level that graphics are good? I think the wii and 3DS are good it just it isn't super(?) graphics.
laugh.gif

What do you mean it didn't stepped up to current get yet? If you mean the psp/ds gen idk what you are talking about.
you think wii and 3DS graphics are good? they would be if this were 5-10 years ago. it's 2011. wii has the same graphics as gamecube, 3DS has the same graphics as wii (except shittier, since there's no anti aliasing). gamecube was launched in 2001.
nintendo certainly has not stepped up their game to current gen. but slap their logo or throw a mario character onto anything and little kids will be begging their parents for it. they don't care about graphics (neither do their fangirls) and nintendo knows this.

QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Apr 22 2011, 09:33 PM) You think wrong.

you sound butthurt or something. "You think wrong."? oh yeah, don't support your argument - trying to come off as a tough guy is good enough.
and even if i'm a graphics whore, how is that a bad thing? graphics are a part of videogames. you still don't get to choose what a gamer is or isn't and when you tried to tell me i'm not a gamer, you made yourself out to be the idiot. what point are you trying to make?

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I see graphics as a form of art(so in a sense, they're art whores). Aand that in itself is a form of a games experience. At the same time, you can't write off all games with outdated graphics as bad.

So I guess what you can take away from this if anything is that a game can have the best graphics out there, if the gameplay is terrible then it won't be worth playing other than to see the "art" in the game.

But I'd say a game with 10 year-old graphics would have it's gameplay nearly perfected because it's so trivial that game designers are comfortable with trying new things in those environments. And that sometimes leads to great things.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Shabutie78 said:
KingVamp said:
Wait where is the level that graphics are good? I think the wii and 3DS are good it just it isn't super(?) graphics.
laugh.gif

What do you mean it didn't stepped up to current get yet? If you mean the psp/ds gen idk what you are talking about.
you think wii and 3DS graphics are good? they would be if this were 5-10 years ago. it's 2011. wii has the same graphics as gamecube, 3DS has the same graphics as wii (except shittier, since there's no anti aliasing). gamecube was launched in 2001.
nintendo certainly has not stepped up their game to current gen. but slap their logo or throw a mario character onto anything and little kids will be begging their parents for it. they don't care about graphics (neither do their fangirls) and nintendo knows this.

Uh, you do realize that not everybody who buys Nintendo products are just kids/soccer moms/fangirls right? I know plenty of full grown men who prefer Nintendo products over the Sony/Microsoft products, because of the gameplay. That's why I love Nintendo, they don't try to be realistic or anything like that, games are supposed to be just that, games. They're not supposed to be lifelike or anything like that. That's why Nintendo has succeeded and simply destroyed each and every one of their competitors that stepped up to the plate.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can care about graphics and not be a graphics *****.

If there was similar games one with better graphics,but the other with better gameplay with alright
graphics, I would chose the one with alright graphics.

That said if there was HD Mario Galaxy (which that means it had to be a Nintendo HD console) and Mario Galaxy, I choose the HD one.

Without the factor of price,if I'm willing to buy a console for just that one HD game or any other factors like portability
laugh.gif
of course.

Let me reword that: If the games where on two different consoles.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
That's why Nintendo has succeeded and simply destroyed each and every one of their competitors that stepped up to the plate.
spoken like a true fangirl.
For shame Shabutie. You could've taken the high road and pointed out the one-sidedness of that statement. But no, You gotta be a pink furry Shabutie.

I just wouldn't say that because the only real competition the ds had was the Psp. those were the only two handhelds on the market. Not much competition if you ask me, more like a rivalry.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:
Shabutie78 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
That's why Nintendo has succeeded and simply destroyed each and every one of their competitors that stepped up to the plate.
For shame Shabutie. You could've taken the high road and pointed out the one-sidedness of that statement. But no, You gotta be a pink furry Shabutie.

I just wouldn't say that because the only real competition the ds had was the Psp. those were the only two handhelds on the market. Not much competition if you ask me, more like a rivalry.
I'm pretty sure he mean the very past not just the psp and ds rivalry.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TheDarkSeed said:
Shabutie78 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

I didn't just mean DS + PSP.

I meant everything in general. Except for the Gamecube, but the titles on that weren't really all that great. Still good, just not as memorable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k