Next-Gen Poll: PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X?

PS5 vs XBSX GBAtemp Poll.png

It’s been about a week since we got a look at what games will be playable on the Xbox Series X; a couple of weeks after the PlayStation 5's own showcase aired. We now have a better idea as to what titles to expect from each next-gen console. Even if more details and games will be revealed in the coming months, we can already appreciate what each console has to offer in terms of games, features and specs. So how about a poll to see which console you'll more likely pick up? Before making a decision, let's roundup each console's features and games!

PlayStation 5

Sony was relatively tight-lipped when it came to news of the PS5. First it revealed the logo, then the controller’s design and some specs. We only got a look at the consoles during its Future of Gaming event in June. And yes, I used consoles in plural because there will be two editions of the PS5: a regular one with the optical disc and a Digital Edition.

So let’s see what Sony has to offer in terms of specs and games for next-gen gaming!

Specs

PS5 specs.PNG

Featured games

Right, what are specs without games? Sony had quite a lot to show during its Future of Gaming event from Demon's Souls Remake through a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn to the trippy Bugsnax. Here’s a highlight reel or if you wish to watch the full event, head here:

It’s good to note that while these games are planned for a PS5 release, not all of them will be available this year or even next. Moreover, not all will be console exclusives, so PC or Xbox gamers will be able to experience some of the same games shown here.

Xbox Series X

Compared to Sony, Xbox was more open about its next-gen console. By the time Sony only revealed the PS5 logo, we already had a detailed look at the Xbox Series X hardware. While Sony has confirmed two versions of the PS5, Xbox has only revealed only one version of its next Xbox. However, recent leaks suggest that Microsoft is also planning multiple iteration of its next-gen console.

Now, let’s see what has been touted as “the most powerful console ever” packs.

Specs

xbox series x specs.PNG

SOURCE

Featured games

Oddly enough, when Xbox shared the first look of games for its new console, it went for indie and third-party titles rather than first party games. However, last week we got a look at those first-party games such as the anticipated Halo Infinite, a new RPG from Obsidian and a new Fable teaser. Check out the highlight reel below or the full event here:

Your choice

While we have much more information about these consoles than previously, a lot is still unknown. Firstly, we don’t have any official information regarding the pricing of those next-gen consoles. This leaves a lot to speculate about. How much would you be willing to pay for a brand-new console in 2020? Additionally, an exact release date has yet to be announced, other than a planned ‘Holiday 2020’ window.

But it’s safe to say that you should start saving if you want to be among the first to enjoy next-gen console gaming. So which one will be your pick based on what we know so far? And do share what led to your decision below!

Nostalgia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess there are many other ways to compare it that may seem more relevant.
E.g.
  • Aesthetics: both look like crap but I prefer the Xbox.
  • Software line-up and exclusives: based on what they have shown up to now PS5 by far looks more interesting.
  • Personal preference/bias: historically I prefer Xbox hardware, gamepads and OS, and that is a preference.
  • Perceived hardware reliability: to me pushing the clock of the PS5 CPU/GPU and making it variable based on power seems like a last ditch effort from Sony to compensate for the difference in performance, and the problem with this is that quite probably the hardware is not really designed for extracting the extra bit of performance... I perceive that failure rate will be a topic.
  • Perceived intention of the company supporting the platform: Hmmmmm.... I believe Sony is more likely to go the extra effort in order to keep the platform alive against the odds, they did it well with the PS3.
I'm not going to actually respond to all of this because it would take forever.

But in what world are the PS5 games more promising? the remake and the DLC? i don't understand what you mean.

MS announced far more exciting games and will have more games at launch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I already know you are not very smart. This message is not meant for you.
Yes, i along with the millions apon millions of others who prefer consoles are not very smart. You got me.

Last edited by Nostalgia,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But in what world are the PS5 games more promising? the remake and the DLC? i don't understand what you mean.

MS announced far more exciting games and will have more games at launch.
Most of the games I saw in the presentation from Xbox looked unpolished, far from completion and in many cases not something that couldn't be played in a PS5. I didn't see anything that seemed that interesting to me... I am really interested in the new Fable, but they showed very little, I am not a Forza Motorsports fan, and at least what they showed looked interesting but not for me; I am a Forza Horizon fan but they showed nothing about it. I like Halo (not the biggest fan but I like it), and weirdly I am interested in the game even though it is the most criticized piece of the show.

On the other side on the PS5 show I saw many games that looked very polished and that already seemed they were using the new characteristics of the console quite well, like e.g. Ratchet and Clank. I saw some upcoming games that I've been looking up to, e.g. Horizon Forbidden West. Many games the showed just looked very polished and raised my interest, e.g. Stray and the Demon Souls Remake; and to be honest they made me want to follow and look up to games like Project Athia and Pragmata.

I would say Sony achieved raising my interest with their software lineup and software promises, while Microsoft did not.

PS: But this is regarding software alone, in general I lean more towards Xbox, but I will wait.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Xzi

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS5 has better exclusives, especially if you like games made by Japanese developers, because Xbox is very unpopular in Japan.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS5 has better exclusives, especially if you like games made by Japanese developers, because Xbox is very unpopular in Japan.
If you want them uncensored then you're better off sticking with the Switch, ironically. Ever since Sony inverted their gaming division and let the American division take the lead, they've been censoring Japanese games with increasing regularity. Unfortunately, that leaves basically no recourse for Japanese developers other than to accede to Sony's demands since AAA PC gaming is practically nonexistent there and the Switch, while great, just isn't as powerful. So... yeah. I hope the Xbox finally gains traction in Japan so that their developers will have additional options for releasing uncensored games, but I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,
D

Deleted User

not planning to buy any of the two, but
feature wise: xbox
aesthetic wise. ps5

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The xbox sex looks better and has seemingly better specs, so I voted for the sex, but I can't really decide before we know what exclusives they'll be getting.

ChanceTime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's lookin' like PS5 for me if only for the next Persona and the Demon's Souls remake, I'd usually also throw Yakuza in but it's multi-platform day one in the west finally so I'll just get it on Steam.

Last edited by ChanceTime,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Only Microsoft console I've ever bought was X360. Unsurprisingly, it's also the only console I've had fail on me. Even failed a second time after sending it in for warranty repairs.

At this point it's not that I continue to hold a grudge against them, just that Xbox has no exclusives left and the worst UI among the big three. I get the best of both worlds simply by buying PS5 for the exclusives and using my gaming PC for everything else. Also I've filled in almost all the gaps in my collection of Sony and Nintendo consoles over the last few years, so I might as well keep it up-to-date.

Echoing ChanceTime's sentiment, a Demon's Souls remake and Persona are enough on their own to sell me on PS5. Though hopefully we start seeing more Persona titles on PC soon too.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: ChanceTime

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC

But if I had to choose between the two, Xbox. Because I wanna play JSRF, Ninja Gaiden Black and Fatal Frame in 4K. I might buy an Xbox in the future, when the price goes down.

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I had the choice I'd probably go with the PS5 for two simple reasons.
1. It has more compelling exclusives (at least in my opinion).
2. It's UI will likely be significantly better than the Series X (the Xbox One's UI genuinely feels painful to scroll through and it has the audacity to plaster ads everywhere).

Nostalgia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why are Sony UI's always so horrible?

I mean i just hacked my PS4 and damn i forgot how many menus you have to go through to do anything.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither. I barely finished that many games this generation due to spending the first third at college and finally getting a PC that can play anything past 2004, then I got a full time job, bought a lot of games I didn't have time for, upgraded my PC, got several peripherals, configured several different devices like the ODROIDXU4, RPi4, my hacked Switch multiple times, etc.. Like, of the games that I can remember off the top of my head that I beat that are current generation games would include Batman Arkham Knight, Nier Automata, RE2Make and R3make, Doom 4, and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. I haven't played any of the Wolfenstein games, I'm too busy to play Doom Eternal at the moment because having a better PC and other equipment means more possibilities with what you can do, I haven't played The Witcher III, I never got around to the Shadow of Mordor games, I have yet to even play the entirety of the God of War games because my older brother told me I couldn't have those games growing up, I never played Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Final Fantasy XV is collecting digital dust in my Steam library, I've been meaning to play the PS1 Breath of Fire games, maybe marathon all of the Mega Man games because I never made it far with the games as a kid, oh my God, there's also a million Tales games to play, I still have yet to play Resident Evils 4-7 and the Revelations games, all of the Xenoblade games, let alone Xenosaga...and then there's my anime backlog...

*collapses(

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest both systems are bad for next Gen IMO. That's why I am not buying into the gen hype maybe until 3 or 5 years later. If I had to pick between a PS5 or Series-X I would go with the Series-X for more value and backwards compatibility . Spiderman and GT7 is not a good reason to purchase a PS5 right now neither is Fable 3 or MotorSport 8 a good reason to buy a Series-X. I personally feel that our current gen is pretty sustainable but I feel that we haven't gotten 100% from our current gen maybe 60% best. If you really take a closer look at the games being offered on the PS5 or Series-X they should really be on this gen. If I honestly care about 120FPS and etc..etc.. I would just buy a PC because no console can beat a PC. This gen is like a smartphones it really isn't a big difference only a small increase. Why pay $500 extra for a small increase there is no need to. I own a PS4 and a Xbox One and I have receive great games from the both of them to even look at next gen.

If you guys want to spend upwards of $500 to play a few games then I tip my hat to you. I'm going to enjoy my PS4/Xbox One S along with my gaming laptop.

Reactions: Rafciu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.