Hacking Newly purchased R4 chinese warning

juliodunbar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I get an error message in Chinese when I start up my R4, I hunted around and found this guy who has the same message:
http://werxie.googlepages.com/chiinese.bmp

I've owned another R4 that's never given me any problems so when my friend went to Hong Kong I had him pick me up another one. It's the new version without the spring loaded slot. The SD card works fine when I swap it over to my other R4 but when I put it in the new one I get this error message. Any help?

Thanks in advance!

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno, but it sounds like your new R4 is fake.
frown.gif

juliodunbar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you're right that it's probably a Chinese card. I'm going to try installing the Chinese firmware now and see if that works. I'll update everyone with my progress. It'd suck if I got the Chinese one. Although I wonder if it'll seem all that different.

Edit:

Yep, it came with a CD and the official looking R4 box.

juliodunbar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, it's Chinese-tastic! Works fine, just some of the information is in Chinese which isn't so bad since it'll probably just be acting as my backup R4 for multiplayer stuff. Moonshell is also in Chinese, I wonder if I can install the English moonshell on there instead. Does anyone know if there will be any other problems I'll run into?

Oh, and the background images are incredibly ugly.

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to install english moonshell, just download it, install, rename the moonshell folder to moonshl and the nds to _DS_MSHL.NDS so you can boot it from the main menu.

juliodunbar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got to say: GBATempers rock. I checked out the podcast a while ago and I realized that this place was a little different than most forums and then today I came in for help and you guys rocked.

Thanks everyone!

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darn wish I was here earlier. I had this problem too right when I got my r4. I thought since the English data and stuff was on the disc, I could use it.

Then my dad told me that it said my "firmware was incompatible" or something like that. Then he got really pissed and was like, "What is this r4 thing anyways? It doesn't even work!" ...except in Chinese. And he continued for like 20 minutes
dry.gif

I was upset too, but I browsed the web and I found someone who had my same problem, and he put the Chinese stuff on. So I did that and ta-da!! Working r4! It kicked ass and I showed my dad later
wink.gif
He was like "oh, okay. whatever."
laugh.gif
Congrats anyways!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0