Hacking Newb Questions for Softmodding

jadog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find a FAQ anywhere so I have a few questions about softmodding. I'll be using the CompleteSoftmodGuide.

1.) If I'm currently running v4.1u, is there any benefit of staying with this version, or should I update to 4.2 before I begin anything.

2.) If I connect my Wii to my wireless router, is there a risk of it automatically trying to update when new firmware is available?

3) Is it still possible to play retail games after installing the softmod?

4.) Is there a risk that future retail game discs update my firmware or wipe my softmode?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. The CompleteSoftmodGuide works for all wversions. Don't update if yo udon't need to.
2. I think it's illegal for Nintendo to do that. Either way, there's no risk.
3. Yes it is; just load them through whatever backup loader you install so there are no disc updates
4. See above

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - before modding, just update to 4.2 thats why the guide says to. Theres a reason for that.
2 - Nintendo does'nt automatically update your wii, only you.
3 - Yes, you can still play retails either through the disc channel or a backup loader channel or from Homebrew Channel apps.
4 - If you use Priiloader, you can check "block updates from disc" or you can just play retails from a backup loader also. Again, your firmware won't change if you dont do an update. You can always re-softmod over again.
Personally, I am the only one in the household that uses the wii so I never update
i still go online to play wii games with no problems

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just one quick note. Even though Nintendo never has and likely never will, the EULA for the Wii says that Nintendo is legally allowed to update your Wii automatically if they choose to.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raptir said:
Just one quick note. Even though Nintendo never has and likely never will, the EULA for the Wii says that Nintendo is legally allowed to update your Wii automatically if they choose to.
If your that worried, just clear your internet settings and play offline.
That way, it ain't EVER gonna be updated by anyone.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy