DevilBlackDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone!
So I just found my old Wii that I had softmodded. Pretty sure it was a 4.0E but I think I updated it ? Not quite sure. Back when I first softmodded it the best way to keep the hacks up to date was Pimp My Wii. At some point it stopped working though.

Now I'd like to repurpose it almost exclusively to run game backups, ideally from the SD (got a 128 gig lying around that has no purpose, so with WBFS OR NKit conversion for the games I guess that should be a reasonable size?).

My first question is : what do I use to make all hacks up to date (I believe it was IOS and titles that were the most important part?) ? Is there something similar to Pimp My Wii that works today ?

My second question is : What homebrew do I use to get a pretty menu, browsable with a Gamecube pad to launch my backups from the SD ? Can I get it to autoboot when starting the console ? In that case is there also a way to still access the main menu (so as to still be able play WiiWare and disc games) ? Or is there actually a homebrew that would be able to launch WiiWare and the disc game alongside backups ?

Sorry for all the questions, it's been quite a long time and I don't want to mess up the softmod or brick the console.

I'll have my hands on it tomorrow or the day after so I'll be able to report pretty quickly if you have any question (model number, exact update, potential logs...).

Thanks a lot in advance and have a good day everyone :)

Edit : I don't quite remember what it was for but I think I had priiloader installed. I was already autobooting to the Homebrew channel and to get to the Wii menu I had to hold some button that displayed a white text on black background menu.

Last edited by DevilBlackDeath,
Reactions: bonkmaykr

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

to update your hack, use the awesome :D Modmii from @XFlak here ==>Modmii
, you will be able to update your hack.

for the loader, you can use ==> usb loader gx, Wiiflow, Configurable loader v70 (after you choose, which one suits you best). For my part I use all three.:yaywii:

only two Wiiflow loaders and configurable loader v70 reads games on SD card or external hard drive.

USB loader gx simply plays games on external hard drive (for now).

recommend ==> FAT32 external hard drive (it's up to you to see what suits you best):)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
You can build a forwarder dol from ModMii classic's Advanced downloads page, enter in the path(s) to the app(s) you want to boot, build the dol, then install it as a file in Priiloader, then configure priiloader's boot settings to boot to the installed file at start up. You can customize the return to setting as well to return you to the system menu (or again the installed file, whichever you prefer). You can always access priiloader again to boot the system menu or change these settings later.

Reactions: jeannotte

DevilBlackDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can build a forwarder dol from ModMii classic's Advanced downloads page, enter in the path(s) to the app(s) you want to boot, build the dol, then install it as a file in Priiloader, then configure priiloader's boot settings to boot to the installed file at start up. You can customize the return to setting as well to return you to the system menu (or again the installed file, whichever you prefer). You can always access priiloader again to boot the system menu or change these settings later.
Ah great ! I knew I had something that was autobooting my Homebrew channel, and it's probably Priiloader. I will look into everything you said and try to set that up :)

Hello,

to update your hack, use the awesome :D Modmii from @XFlak here ==>Modmii
, you will be able to update your hack.

for the loader, you can use ==> usb loader gx, Wiiflow, Configurable loader v70 (after you choose, which one suits you best). For my part I use all three.:yaywii:

only two Wiiflow loaders and configurable loader v70 reads games on SD card or external hard drive.

USB loader gx simply plays games on external hard drive (for now).

recommend ==> FAT32 external hard drive (it's up to you to see what suits you best):)
Cool thanks for all the loader names. Was a bit out of the loop on those too. As for Wiiflow and Configurable, do they run WiiWare games as well (and can they create backup of those, not sure how to do this really, I know about disc games but not WiiWare stuff) ?

I might also later mod a RVL 101, would these loader work with Nintendont to allow playing Gamecube games with the Classic controller ? What would bother me the most is the lack of rumble, but I assume there's no way around that on 101 ?

Also thanks for the ModMii recommendation, I'll run that. Would there be any need to update the console itself further or would all backup run properly ?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
No need to do an official update before or after using modmii, modmii takes care of everything for u

WiiWare is a bit different than backing up /ripping traditional disc games. You can install a few to real nand, but you'll run out of space quickly if you want a ton, so u will probably want to set up an emulated nand. Modmii can help with this too, by using its sneek menu, you'll want to set up uneek2o+di and an emulated nand. That being said, complete the standard softmod wizard first before dabbling with emunands, which can be a bit more difficult to get set up

DevilBlackDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No need to do an official update before or after using modmii, modmii takes care of everything for u

WiiWare is a bit different than backing up /ripping traditional disc games. You can install a few to real nand, but you'll run out of space quickly if you want a ton, so u will probably want to set up an emulated nand. Modmii can help with this too, by using its sneek menu, you'll want to set up uneek2o+di and an emulated nand. That being said, complete the standard softmod wizard first before dabbling with emunands, which can be a bit more difficult to get set up
As I said it's already softmodded ;) I'm just not sure how up to date it is. I think the last time I updated stuff was not with PimpMyWii, but I'm pretty sure it was not with ModMii either. Though yeah I'll obviously set everything else up before messing with emunand :)

So there's no way to run the titles from one of the loaders then ? Or once they're installed and appear on the Wii Menu can I also make them show up on the loaders ?

What are they installed to by default ? Weren't they installed to the NAND ? Or did the shop install them to the SD ?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Your USB loader will list your wiiware titles, those installed to real nand as well as emulated nand.

The official shop channel would install to real nand, then you could optionally move them to the official sd card menu, which is not the same thing as an emulated nand.

Regarding your current mods, you can post a syscheck and we'll see how up to date you are
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

Alternatively you can drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will make some recommendations or tell you if it's up to date.

DevilBlackDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your USB loader will list your wiiware titles, those installed to real nand as well as emulated nand.

The official shop channel would install to real nand, then you could optionally move them to the official sd card menu, which is not the same thing as an emulated nand.

Regarding your current mods, you can post a syscheck and we'll see how up to date you are
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

Alternatively you can drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will make some recommendations or tell you if it's up to date.
Ah great to know :)

As for the syscheck I'll try doing it this WE (I know I have a couple of Wii Remotes around I just can't find them, so I'll look around more seriously, come friday night :P ) and I'll post it and give it to digest to modmii !

Thanks a lot for all the help :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs