Newb Pokemon question

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by bumjeans, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009

Newb Pokemon question by bumjeans at 9:01 AM (1,639 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. bumjeans
    OP

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok this is not only limited to the NDS games, I am actually playing Pokemon from the beginning starting from Yellow.

How do I know which ones to catch early on in the game? Pokeballs are quite expensive and its not like I can make any money by defeating lots of wild pokemons. Or is it a case of whichever ones I want to? Do *all* pokemon evolve into something good?

Do players generally spend a lot of time grinding to get the levels up or does a natural run through progress your levels sufficiently?

2. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    as far as i know
    besides playing the game in proper manner
    you have alternatives like cheat or pokesav [​IMG]
    that actually saves your time on grinding and giving you lots of pokeballs

3. Senbonzaku101

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most of the games can be won just by fighting every single Pokemon you encounter wildly or in a trainer battle with your starter Pokemon. Though in competitive online battling, it is obviously not the case, as this is a complex mix of team building and strategy. As you're sure to hear in the future, any Pokemon can beat the game.

4. bumjeans
    OP

United Kingdom
    nah dont wanna cheat, whats the point?!

I dont mind a bit of grinding, i do it in FF to ensure i can defeat bosses without difficulty. Just don't want the whole game to be about grinding thats all!

Also how good are the storylines in Pokemon games, are they generally as good as FF?

5. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Storylines are pretty much crap for all games, the only things that are good are the cutscenes when you fight the legendaries that are the major ones. Like Giratina for Platinum and the one where Rayquaza breaks up Groudon and Kyogre.

Money is never a problem. I made it through most games with barely touching my cash. There's also usually a way to earn easy cash for most games. I mad it through buying tons of balls and not having money problems. I practically caught most Pokemon to be caught without trading and still had tons of cash to spare.

Easy Money Earners-
    FireRed & LeafGreen- there is a galactic grunt who gives you a nugget when you go up from Cerulean City. He will challenge you after you get it. Before speaking to him, just set a weak Pokemon as you first, then, keep dying. You'll keep getting nuggets to sell.

Platinum(I'm not sure about Diamond and Pearl)- Sometime midway the game, when your at the Pokemon Mansion, outside, there will be two old people. Keep vs. Seeking them, they will give you tons of cash. I got about 400 000 through this.

6. Akiyo

Member Akiyo GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    But seriously, unless you are going for competitive gaming (cross breed, speciality inherit, stat boosting, blah blah), you should able to play without grinding at all. (I just catch'em all. I never ran out of money on balls, and at worst cases, VS seeker.)

7. Jonatron

Newcomer Jonatron Newbie

United Kingdom
    If you fight every trainer you can, you'll have tons of money.
    In the games that you can, 3rd gen onward I believe, having a poke holding an Amulet Coin (normally a character will give you this after a certain amount of progress) appear in a fight will double your money.

Trainer fights are worth more exp.

Sleep is the best status to inflict when catching pokemon, It pretty much doubles your capture rate.

Doesn't matter what pokemon you capture and train. If you like, check which have a wide range of attacking types, like in pre-4th gen games. It'll be fine to train about 3 pokemon and have them keep up with the NPC's levels if you fight every trainer in most games.

8. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    For me, the best strategy at the start is, I grind up to level 12 or 13, then, that will provide me with easy wins and you probably wont have to grind again till the Elite Four.

9. tical00

Newcomer tical00 Member

United States
    Sorry about nitpicking, but wouldn't red/blue be the starting point?

10. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Yellow's pretty much red/blue but better (same storyline etc)

11. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah, but it's an enhanced version as in it's way easier to get every Pokémon.

12. DragorianSword

Member DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Belgium
    I see there's nobody who realy gives you an answer to your questions.

As for the pokemon you have to catch early in the game: It doesn't really matter. You will see that, when you have reached the Elite Four, your party will be completely different than when you started. (the only pokemon the same is your starter most of the time).
    In Yellow you begin with pikachu, but you can get bulbasaur, squirtle and charmander along the way by just talking to people. My advise: Train them!
    But before you get them: get a rattata and teach it hyper fang (think it needs to evolve first but...) and a pidgey (later on the game it comes in handy for fly and it's actualy a good pokemon).

My strategy to complete the game always is: Before you get to the first badge train all your pokemon to lvl 20 (can take a while) and after that just run through the game defeating all trainers.

Hope this helped.

13. bumjeans
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cool! thanks for the tips guys.

I don't I think I will play every single game, I can see its kinda repetitive. I was going to play G, S or C next but I think I will wait for the remake. Maybe jump to Platinum.

Haven't played a GB game in a while, its full of charm and 8bit tunes are so cool!!

14. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    dont worry about catching all the pokemon you see, you will get many more chances and they appear all over. at the beggining of the game, most if not all pokemon evolve-starly, bidoof and dont worry about grinding either

15. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    In all due respect, that's terrible advice. Only cheat if you plan on ruining the experience, especially if you cheat early game. Just catch which ever pokemon you feel like, and train them to be as high leveled as you want. There's no going wrong when you pick a team, you'll have no troubles getting through the game.

16. aporia_mage

Newcomer aporia_mage Newbie

United Kingdom
    I would recommend playing Emerald as well - it's really very good.

It doesn't matter if you catch everything at the beginning or not, unless you really want to. The only problem you'll run into is with the first Gym leader: his pokemon are rock/ground type, and Pikachu's attacks are either normal or electric type at that point - rock resists normal, and ground is immune to electric. For this reason, I recommend catching a Mankey (head west out of Viridian City, to the point where your rival challenges you, and you can find one in the grass there) and levelling it until it learns Karate Chop (or Low Kick, whichever is first). Just use Karate Chop on all the pokes in the Gym and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, Pikachu will be all you need until you collect Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur from NPCs (early on). Just level whichever of these you like up along with Pikachu and you'll have no problems. Consider getting a l29 Dugtrio from Diglett Cave to beat the 3rd gym with. To be honest, you could just level Charmander up, teach him TM28 (Dig) when you get it, and use him on his own for the rest of the game.

Seriously, money will not be a problem.

17. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Fixed. [​IMG]

18. bumjeans
    OP

United Kingdom
    I am playing Yellow!

Anyways, I'm grinding a bit but I find it surprisingly addictive! However I was really enjoying it until I reached the cave, aarghg hate unavoidable random battles especially when they are so frequent.

And what are all thse TMs I collect? I know they are some kind of upgrades, but I don't know what they do.

19. thebigboss14

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    they are just lots of new movements that you could teach to a certain kind of pokemons(not all the pokemon could learn all of them), some of those movements could be automatically learned by a pokemon when they get to new levels or when they evolve. I dont really use a lot of them but they can be really handy if you need that move or if it is a strong attack, or more. Any more questions I could answer.

Right now waiting for HeartGold & SoulSilver, the seem like ramakes with really good new features like if you get the arceus from the movie you could get one legendary(Palkia, Dalgia or Giratina) from level 1 in a egg, that is a proof that Arceus is the creator of the pokemon universe. That's what I say dont take my word real true I dont really know.