Gaming Newb Pokemon question

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok this is not only limited to the NDS games, I am actually playing Pokemon from the beginning starting from Yellow.

How do I know which ones to catch early on in the game? Pokeballs are quite expensive and its not like I can make any money by defeating lots of wild pokemons. Or is it a case of whichever ones I want to? Do *all* pokemon evolve into something good?

Do players generally spend a lot of time grinding to get the levels up or does a natural run through progress your levels sufficiently?

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
as far as i know
besides playing the game in proper manner
you have alternatives like cheat or pokesav
smile.gif

that actually saves your time on grinding and giving you lots of pokeballs

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the games can be won just by fighting every single Pokemon you encounter wildly or in a trainer battle with your starter Pokemon. Though in competitive online battling, it is obviously not the case, as this is a complex mix of team building and strategy. As you're sure to hear in the future, any Pokemon can beat the game.

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nah dont wanna cheat, whats the point?!

I dont mind a bit of grinding, i do it in FF to ensure i can defeat bosses without difficulty. Just don't want the whole game to be about grinding thats all!

Also how good are the storylines in Pokemon games, are they generally as good as FF?

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Storylines are pretty much crap for all games, the only things that are good are the cutscenes when you fight the legendaries that are the major ones. Like Giratina for Platinum and the one where Rayquaza breaks up Groudon and Kyogre.

Money is never a problem. I made it through most games with barely touching my cash. There's also usually a way to earn easy cash for most games. I mad it through buying tons of balls and not having money problems. I practically caught most Pokemon to be caught without trading and still had tons of cash to spare.

Easy Money Earners-
FireRed & LeafGreen- there is a galactic grunt who gives you a nugget when you go up from Cerulean City. He will challenge you after you get it. Before speaking to him, just set a weak Pokemon as you first, then, keep dying. You'll keep getting nuggets to sell.

Platinum(I'm not sure about Diamond and Pearl)- Sometime midway the game, when your at the Pokemon Mansion, outside, there will be two old people. Keep vs. Seeking them, they will give you tons of cash. I got about 400 000 through this.

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But seriously, unless you are going for competitive gaming (cross breed, speciality inherit, stat boosting, blah blah), you should able to play without grinding at all. (I just catch'em all. I never ran out of money on balls, and at worst cases, VS seeker.)

Jonatron

Trophies
XP
Country
If you fight every trainer you can, you'll have tons of money.
In the games that you can, 3rd gen onward I believe, having a poke holding an Amulet Coin (normally a character will give you this after a certain amount of progress) appear in a fight will double your money.

Trainer fights are worth more exp.

Sleep is the best status to inflict when catching pokemon, It pretty much doubles your capture rate.

Doesn't matter what pokemon you capture and train. If you like, check which have a wide range of attacking types, like in pre-4th gen games. It'll be fine to train about 3 pokemon and have them keep up with the NPC's levels if you fight every trainer in most games.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I see there's nobody who realy gives you an answer to your questions.

As for the pokemon you have to catch early in the game: It doesn't really matter. You will see that, when you have reached the Elite Four, your party will be completely different than when you started. (the only pokemon the same is your starter most of the time).
In Yellow you begin with pikachu, but you can get bulbasaur, squirtle and charmander along the way by just talking to people. My advise: Train them!
But before you get them: get a rattata and teach it hyper fang (think it needs to evolve first but...) and a pidgey (later on the game it comes in handy for fly and it's actualy a good pokemon).

My strategy to complete the game always is: Before you get to the first badge train all your pokemon to lvl 20 (can take a while) and after that just run through the game defeating all trainers.

Hope this helped.

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool! thanks for the tips guys.

I don't I think I will play every single game, I can see its kinda repetitive. I was going to play G, S or C next but I think I will wait for the remake. Maybe jump to Platinum.

Haven't played a GB game in a while, its full of charm and 8bit tunes are so cool!!

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bumjeans said:
Ok this is not only limited to the NDS games, I am actually playing Pokemon from the beginning starting from Yellow.

How do I know which ones to catch early on in the game? Pokeballs are quite expensive and its not like I can make any money by defeating lots of wild pokemons. Or is it a case of whichever ones I want to? Do *all* pokemon evolve into something good?

Do players generally spend a lot of time grinding to get the levels up or does a natural run through progress your levels sufficiently?
dont worry about catching all the pokemon you see, you will get many more chances and they appear all over. at the beggining of the game, most if not all pokemon evolve-starly, bidoof and dont worry about grinding either

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
as far as i know
besides playing the game in proper manner
you have alternatives like cheat or pokesav
smile.gif

that actually saves your time on grinding and giving you lots of pokeballs
In all due respect, that's terrible advice. Only cheat if you plan on ruining the experience, especially if you cheat early game. Just catch which ever pokemon you feel like, and train them to be as high leveled as you want. There's no going wrong when you pick a team, you'll have no troubles getting through the game.

aporia_mage

Trophies
XP
Country
I would recommend playing Emerald as well - it's really very good.

It doesn't matter if you catch everything at the beginning or not, unless you really want to. The only problem you'll run into is with the first Gym leader: his pokemon are rock/ground type, and Pikachu's attacks are either normal or electric type at that point - rock resists normal, and ground is immune to electric. For this reason, I recommend catching a Mankey (head west out of Viridian City, to the point where your rival challenges you, and you can find one in the grass there) and levelling it until it learns Karate Chop (or Low Kick, whichever is first). Just use Karate Chop on all the pokes in the Gym and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, Pikachu will be all you need until you collect Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur from NPCs (early on). Just level whichever of these you like up along with Pikachu and you'll have no problems. Consider getting a l29 Dugtrio from Diglett Cave to beat the 3rd gym with. To be honest, you could just level Charmander up, teach him TM28 (Dig) when you get it, and use him on his own for the rest of the game.

Seriously, money will not be a problem.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
aporia_mage said:
I would recommend playing Yellow as well - it's really very good.

It doesn't matter if you catch everything at the beginning or not, unless you really want to. The only problem you'll run into is with the first Gym leader: his pokemon are rock/ground type, and Pikachu's attacks are either normal or electric type at that point - rock resists normal, and ground is immune to electric. For this reason, I recommend catching a Mankey (head west out of Viridian City, to the point where your rival challenges you, and you can find one in the grass there) and levelling it until it learns Karate Chop (or Low Kick, whichever is first). Just use Karate Chop on all the pokes in the Gym and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, Pikachu will be all you need until you collect Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur from NPCs (early on). Just level whichever of these you like up along with Pikachu and you'll have no problems. Consider getting a l29 Dugtrio from Diglett Cave to beat the 3rd gym with. To be honest, you could just level Charmander up, teach him TM28 (Dig) when you get it, and use him on his own for the rest of the game.

Seriously, money will not be a problem.
Fixed.
wink.gif

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am playing Yellow!

Anyways, I'm grinding a bit but I find it surprisingly addictive! However I was really enjoying it until I reached the cave, aarghg hate unavoidable random battles especially when they are so frequent.

And what are all thse TMs I collect? I know they are some kind of upgrades, but I don't know what they do.

thebigboss14

Trophies
Website
thebigboss14.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
My strategy to complete the game always is: Before you get to the first badge train all your pokemon to lvl 20 (can take a while) and after that just run through the game defeating all trainers.
because of all my experience with pokemon since red & blue, I would also recomend you that yo first train your pokemons good before going to the first gym because you never want to go lower than then trust me they will beat. Also a really good trick is that around evry gym theres grass or something like that where you can find a pokemon that could help you beat the gym leader, in DPP you could see this perfectly made.

The pokemon choice is really up to you but dont have pokemons of the same type or with the same attacks only if you really need it, have variety and learn what are the weakness of each tipy like ,fire->grass, water->fire, grass->water, etc.

QUOTE said:
aarghg hate unavoidable random battles especially when they are so frequent.
The only thing you have to do is go to the poke mart and buy some repels or some people could give you some but I dont really remember.

And what are all thse TMs I collect? I know they are some kind of upgrades, but I don't know what they do.
they are just lots of new movements that you could teach to a certain kind of pokemons(not all the pokemon could learn all of them), some of those movements could be automatically learned by a pokemon when they get to new levels or when they evolve. I dont really use a lot of them but they can be really handy if you need that move or if it is a strong attack, or more. Any more questions I could answer.

Right now waiting for HeartGold & SoulSilver, the seem like ramakes with really good new features like if you get the arceus from the movie you could get one legendary(Palkia, Dalgia or Giratina) from level 1 in a egg, that is a proof that Arceus is the creator of the pokemon universe. That's what I say dont take my word real true I dont really know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Using a Fiio DAC and Betron headphones.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use AKG K7XX headphones for daily use, but Meze 99 Classics when I want to *enjoy* the music
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I mean built in sound on mobo's has gotten way better but still XP handled sound better and X-Fi was still better than onboard audio even to this day
    Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or Windows update fixed it. Thank god lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh boy Massdrop has $1100 IEMs. Want, but not at that price lmao. https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-andromeda-emerald-sea-iem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'd sooner buy the Meze 109 Pro if I was dropping that much on headphones. I don't even like buds/IEMs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I got the Google Pixel Pro buds, they're good enough for when I need portable audio. And some really cheap IEMs that Dankpods recommends, I think the KZ ZSN Pro
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd stick with cheapo Chinese $10 ones quality is actually becoming on pair with name brand since name Brand usually quads the price up anyway loose one bud that's another $200
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    My Pixel Pro buds shit the bed a month or two ago. My wireless charger (which they do support Qi charging) absolutely COOKED them. Caused some problem that caused the case to heat up to 180F+
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    They were like 9 months out of warranty but I hit up Google support anyway and told them how hot they were getting and they replaced them with new ones because they wanted these for failure analysis lol
    lol wireless charging
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why I can't bring myself to even spend $100 on wireless earbuds
    I think it's a cool idea but damn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Apparently the case has a problem with >15W wireless chargers. Google design fault, that one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could live with wireless charging if the damn standard case doesn't block connection
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    how is wireless charging possible?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dbz said everyone has raging energy senses
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    you mean generally, how does the concept work?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Copper conducting electricity or something
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, power through a coil of wire causes an electromagnetic field to be generated. Another coil of wire can be set up to harness the power from that electromagnetic field and turn it into usable energy for charging a device
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Two good videos from ElectroBOOM that touch on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwGjhwPEik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2YwkAWg0_g
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think