New WII with firmware 4.3E; where to start?

Nakedfoxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hi,
My brother got wii from a friend with firmware 4.3E and it's have USB Loader gx in home screen.
I'm trying to play with it and wanted to know where to start about homebrew and which exploit can work with it...?
Should i install other exploit?

Attachments

• LMC_12.8.4.pq20221023_074951_PQ.F3-Pro-R14.jpg
    LMC_12.8.4.pq20221023_074951_PQ.F3-Pro-R14.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 42

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
first at all, if the Wii is already hacked and there is No need to rehack or using another exploid. U may only need primary some files on your SDCard for e.g. run USB Loader GX or using homebrew channel for homebrew stuff. And maybe need to update some stuff e.g the cIOS (use Syscheck) and Priiloader. You may check this hack guide here for some basic things and rebuilding your SDCard. DONT follow this guide to rehack! ONLY get the neccesarry information you need and be uptodate.

Reactions: jeannotte

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,
My brother got wii from a friend with firmware 4.3E and it's have USB Loader gx in home screen.
I'm trying to play with it and wanted to know where to start about homebrew and which exploit can work with it...?
Should i install other exploit?
Looks like HBC is not installed, so as the person above suggested, use ModMii to hack the Wii from scratch, that will ensure your cIOS are up to date and get HBC installed.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As everyone has said, it's already hacked.

Tye first logical step is yo download a Homebrew application called SysCheck and make a SysCheck of your Wii. It will tell you exactly which IOS and cIOS are installed in your console and if it's been hacked properly.

Certain cIOS will do different things, for instance, fixing Errors in certain games, adding support to certain peripherals such as Rock Band's instruments, allow you to play certain games such as Call of Duty, etc.

Once you read your SysCheck and making sure that everything's properly installed, do a NAND BACKUP and install PrioLoader. This is for Brick Protection. Using different region games will kill your console, modifying improperly your IOS/cIOS will brick your console... so this is crucial.

After having a NAND BACKUP and PriiLoader installed you can do pretty much anything with it like installing out of region games such as Korean, Japanese, American games/channels, bring back Wi-Fi services with certain programs, try to make a workable WiiFlow and EmuNAND installation just to make your Wii more pleasantly looking, installing Home Menu Themes, using Retro Emulators, allowing GameCube retrocompatibility if your Wii is the "Family Edition" and a long list of WiiWare and Wii exclusives + a plethira of PC Games Ports and Homebrew Applications.

Reactions: SylverReZ

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Playing an out-of-region Wii game kills the video output? Like the AV port itself or..? :unsure:
Never heard of that, and i don't that's possible.
Yes! I read those reports on that spanish sites.
Also, old hacking guides (on that spanish site) warns users from installing out of region channels or playing out if region games for the same consequences.

Not 100% sure as I'm not curious enough to actually test if it's real or not.

Maybe it was just a way to say "Brick" and I took it too literal?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Didn't used to kill the video output?
Highly unlikely. A source for that would be nice. A Wii can be completely region changed and should adjust video output accordingly. Did this once for testing purposes making a European Wii American/Japanese for some minutes each.

Not even my CRT (Pal) had any problems when having that Wii connected (feared I had to use something more modern to get any picture).

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ya, a source would be nice. Else its maybe by someone who doesnt have clue, has a black screen and screems "brick! My Wii is killed!" 🤭 Or they used some very cheap converter e.g Wii2hdmi clone.

There are lot of users which run out-of region games on their (v)Wii by e.g Nintendont or USB-Loader. You can also force to run a game in specific video mode, but the video cable and TV need to support it too.

Why should Out-of-region games kill the Video out? The Pal Wii supports all four video modes, the NTSC only two. In case the video mode is not supported you get a black screen or maybe black/white only.
Source https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Video_output

Last edited by Sypherone,

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A source for that would be nice
Looking for it!
Ya, a suorce would be nice.
Looking for it.

Seriously, read that in the other spanish site. If I can find it I'll post it here.
Post automatically merged:

Okay, ashamed of carrying around that misinformation for years. It's something I've probably misread/misunderstood back in the day (2010) as I can't find further information nor proof of that ever happening.

Maybe I got it confused with a Theme Brick/Black Brick.
Sorry!

Last edited by JuanMena,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, old hacking guides (on that spanish site) warns users from installing out of region channels or playing out if region games for the same consequences.
It's very well known that you can brick a system if you install a corrupted wad. That's why it's always recommended to have Priiloader, BootMii and a nand backup before installing wads, just in case that very scenario happens..
As for the possibility of a brick because of playing out of region games either Wii, GC or otherwise, it's not possible. On a modded and unmodified systems, because it doesn't add, edit, or install to the system's nand/files..
as I can't find further information nor proof of that ever happening.
Sorry for putting you in this *awkward* position.. :lol:

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's very well known that you can brick a system if you install a corrupted wad. That's why it's always recommended to have Priiloader, BootMii and a nand backup before installing wads, just in case that very scenario happens..
As for the possibility of a brick because of playing out of region games either Wii, GC or otherwise, it's not possible. On a modded and unmodified systems, because it doesn't add, edit, or install to the system's nand/files..

Sorry for putting you in this *awkward* position.. :lol:
It's not awkward? Why would it be?

I swear I read those exact words of installing/playing out if region games will kill the video output, just can't find it anymore or literally misinterpreted information.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you pls post a Syscheck of your Console (use a spoiler pls)?
Run a Errorcheck on your SD Card. Windows -> right klick the drive -> Properties -> Tools -> errorcheck
Try launching USB Loader GX version 1272 over the Homebrew channel, that you have hopely installed.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Nakedfoxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I used the Modmii guide after deleting the USB loader and installed new one that doesn't give me the error.
I did Nand backup; got one factory bad block (i understand that it's ok)
Could you explain few things?
- is the sdcard must stay in wii as part of the exploit?
- what about the sdcard size; im using 16GB; where do i store the files? (homebrew, emulator...)
Now i want to put some emulators and RetroArch (if possible)

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could you explain few things?
- what about the sdcard size; im using 16GB; where do i store the files? (homebrew, emulator...)
Now i want to put some emulators and RetroArch (if possible)
Hello,

it is better to always leave the SD card in the wii, if you want it to work, and then even in the future you will not look everywhere for your SD card, if you have lost it (it's just a tip).

you can use an SD card of 16 GB or less (it all depends on what you want to put on it), on the SD you can store your emulators, Homebrews ..........

Retroarch ==> https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wii-setting-it-up-mini-tutorial.590900/

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The exploid was used in the beginning to hack the Wii to install the cIOS (c=custom) which allows you to run your custom/homebrew stuff. The homebrew uses this cIOS as main entrypoint to be able to be exuted. This cIOS is a original IOS56/57 or 58 with a patch. That why the homebrew stuff (e.g. USB Loader) can be configured which cIOS to use.
So in theory there need no SDCard to be in the Wii, because every hack is installed directly on Wii. But the executable (the .dol files) need to be on SDCard, eg. your desired apllication need to be in SD://apps/<your homebrew>. It can then launched through homebrew launcher or a installed forwarder channel (.wad files) like you have for USB Laoder GX.
Theoretical up to 2TB are possible, the biggest size i rode someone used was 512GB.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back