Hardware New Wii Unscrubber - SWiiT

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now make it compatible with gamecube games and i will love ya :D

btw, where does it get the data thats erased from scrubbing? like that "rare extra data" you mention
Garbage data generating algorithms, and then a hash checker to ensure it's the same.

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
Hi all,

I've been sidetracked lately. I'm close to getting back to it and finishing a simple GUI. I'm not sure about GC support. I'd like to, it's just the time. I plan to publish the code so others can enhance or use it for other things.

Cheers,
Nanook

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Allow me to understand what goes here (please correct me if I made a mistake with any of this)

There are three primary modes of scrubbing.
Conventional.
"safe"
Repacking.

The idea behind it all was that Wii discs are encrypted and files dotted randomly around the ISO. Between said files there was essentially random junk for most games (if I recall the early discussions with Dack it was a game that missed it and led to the idea of scrubbing).
Conventional scrubbing removed this random data. In and of itself it did nothing but it would then allow you to compress the isos and make them far far smaller in most cases, probably not as small as they could go but nicer than 4.something gigs.
Safe scrubbing was a minor variation on this that worked around a theoretical detection method by skipping a few sectors.
Both these would work on a simple DVD modded Wii. No need for CIOS or anything installed like that, just a modded drive or drive emulator.

Nothing ever actually checked this random data so far as I know and chances are nothing ever will now -- if Nintendo release some kind of Wii mini in the future that checks for it then that is about it, however as we had emulation good enough to work with Nintendo's online servers at the end there...

The third method took all the files, unpacked the iso, shoved all the files to the front of the iso and rebuilt/repacked it. This would not work with a DVD modded device by itself but if you stuck some CIOS (possibly also CIOScorp/darkcorp) then it would, and the compression gains would be the greatest here.

For added fun then USB loaders then got developed. They supported various formats in the end, many of which were very sliced up versions of the ISO. WBFS was one of the first (actual file system at that, though became a container in the end), but certainly not the only choice in the end. Compared to a nice pure iso format then these files are complete and utter butchery. Where the first two scrubbing methods were probably "good enough" for archival purposes this would be laughed at as there would be no way to construct anything vaguely resembling a legit iso for a simple DVD mod. I recall an earlier iso rebuild tool that mainly just pounded it hard enough to get a WBFS game back into a format that an ISO handling tool stood a chance of being able to manage.

This variability in formats, as well as encryption, and people distributing games in USB favouring formats at times made patching games for ROM hacking type purposes an interesting hobby as direct patching was tricky because of it and potentially legally dubious for isos. To that end most things either went at runtime or required you to manually extract files and insert them afterwards.

On top of this the tool also handles the games that might have been dumped poorly (should only be a few out there as the problem was caught fairly fast and at the time it was necessary to have a rare and hard to come by setup to dump things, however as a variation of once data is out there on the internet... and it presumably being easy to check for and sort it is all good) which became known as scrambled. If memory serves we used to have a list of sizes for single layer (because that was all that was known) isos which corresponded to whether this was done.

The brickblocked stuff if memory serves was when we were waiting for hacks to come out for a given firmware that the update part could be nerfed to allow games to play in the meantime. Long since rendered obsolete but again something might still be out there.

Anyway if I understand it your claim here is between what I guess are filename dumps in a database somewhere and what was thought to be encrypted/signed random data actually just being unencrypted pseudorandom and having its randomness generation method discovered that you can replicate isos that are either 1:1 to a properly dumped iso or as good as for that iso part. If that is true then nice. While I was not bothered about properly storing the random data that got scrubbed (instead going for DVD safe isos as baseline standard) the option to regenerate unscrubbed it welcome.

Reactions: nanook

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
About 15% of all wii iso releases were bad (scrubbed, errors, etc)

That was meant more in reference to the scrambled thing but I could have phrased it better.

That said depending upon how it was scrubbed I don't know that I would call it a bad release -- if I could burn it and shove it into a simple DVD modded Wii without issue then by most Scene standards in history it would be OK.

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
Hi FAST6191.

Yes these tools can restore the scrubbed/removed junk. If you were to back up your discs and store them digitally and wanted to have them in a smaller format (wbfs/scrubbed iso). These tools would be able to restore them back to the original state.

You can create a dat from your backups with the tools too or get a verified one from redump.

Do you have any contact with Dack? I'd like to get back in touch, but it's been almost 10 years.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi FAST6191.

Yes these tools can restore the scrubbed/removed junk. If you were to back up your discs and store them digitally and wanted to have them in a smaller format (wbfs/scrubbed iso). These tools would be able to restore them back to the original state.

You can create a dat from your backups with the tools too or get a verified one from redump.

Do you have any contact with Dack? I'd like to get back in touch, but it's been almost 10 years.

Thank you for the clarification.

I had some conversations with him in passing a few times over the years, no contact methods beyond what is on a profile/readmes though (which is nothing) and nothing since before his last login.

andreagonzalez2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Fantastic work Nanook - you successfully resolved all of the quirks that Wii Ultimate Unscrubber had with not being able to unscrub a handful of games that had weird data after the update partition as well as the dozen or so games that made WUU choke with bogus H3 errors.

For anyone new to using this tool, read the readme and the FAQ thoroughly.
This tool is very powerful and flexible. Once you get it setup to your liking it will fix just about anything you throw at it.

Also, all known good Update, Channel, and VC partitions can be found on the *snip* repository. These are specifically for use with this tool.
I have also attached a recent redump dat file and a work-in-progress non-redump dat file. With these two dats and the partitions on mariocube just about every game can be restored.

Enjoy!
It seems that link the link to the repository has been deleted because piracy. Some clue to find it in google?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

SWiiT is a suite of tools for converting your Wii backup images from various scrubbed, shrunk and USB loader ripped formats back to the original
disc image.

It was based on the original Ultimate Unscrubber by Osupka. This version has been fully rewritten and many features added.

• Unscrub Wii images from scene / scrubbed / wbfs (file) / iso.dec
  • Read the above images from Rar / Zip / 7zip etc
  • Create CRC / SHA1 / MD5 checksums
  • Rename restored images to match Redump dat crc
  • Rename restored images to match a secondary Redump compatible dat crc
  • Insert missing Update (inc rare extra data), Channel and VC partitions
  • Replace Brickblocked Update partitions
  • Auto fixes modified disc headers (where the Data header remains intact)
  • Fixes rare corrupt partition table (caused by WBM)
  • Fixes rare 0 byte file scrubbing (caused by WIT)
  • Fixes truncated images (where the Data partition is intact)
  • Fixes slightly overdumped images too (descrambled)
  • Fixes Data partitions moved before 0xF800000 to save space
  • All regions supported
  • Optimised for performance
  • Reusable library for use in other projects
  • Flexible custom post processing ability
This is the first release, there are more to come. Enjoy,

Nanook

Thanks for your tool nanook. Could it be possible to compile it to work in Windows XP?. I use and old computer to unscrubbing isos and it does not work there...

littlemac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I've run almost all of the Wii discs through the tool and and works wonderfully, with one exception: The Movie-Ch Install Disc Ver. A (USA) (En,Fr,Es).iso

The tool cannot unscrub the .wbfs (it looks for a partition that I can't seem to find online). The SWAT and SWIPE teams also don't work on the full .iso, I get the following error:

File 1 of 1 : Processing 1 of 1 Movie-Ch Install Disc Ver. A (USA) (En,Fr,Es).iso Extracting Update Partition:
Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Nanook.Swiit.SuperWiiDiscLibrary.PartitionHeaderSection.ParseFst(Byte[] fst)
at Nanook.Swiit.SuperWiiDiscLibrary.PartitionSection.parseFst(PartitionGroupSection grp)
at Nanook.Swiit.SuperWiiDiscLibrary.PartitionSection.<get_Sections>d__29.MoveNext()
at Nanook.Swiit.SuperWiiDiscLibrary.WiiDisc.ExtractNonDataPartitions()
at Nanook.Swiit.SuperWiiPartitionExtractor.Program.Main(String[] args)

littlemac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The disc converts okay, but I can't uncrub it back to the redump.org CRC (it says I'm missing a known update partition...even when I leave the .wbfs with all partitions intact). I can't scrape the partition from the disk and I can't find it online. It's a strange case.

nanook

OP
Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
Yeah there's a bug that prevents an image being restored if the update partition is missing from the folder even though it's present in the image. I've fixed it, just not released it yet. Sorry.

I've started looking at GC restoration now. It looks problematic due to some scrubber/shrinkers moving and rearranging the files within the image. It's hopefully still possible though. Stay tuned...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge