1. Alopexau

Alopexau Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    That answered everything I needed to know, thanks. I wasn't entirely sure if the shifting around of the data into a smaller image would introduce any reading differences, particularly with Wii games.

2. Doctorbeefy

Doctorbeefy Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Can you convert gamecube isos to nkit.iso with this? Or do I need to do some other stuff before?

3. paint3d

paint3d Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I've been trying to do that but the box won't get unchecked... it's just grayed out and my game keeps giving me the same error

4. mundodisco

mundodisco Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Hi all!

Some weeks ago I was totally lost about how to use NKit, but after reading and many trials-and-errors, now I can happily say I have a fairly good knowledge of the whole process (and I could recover all my all WBFS files to newer ones with all partitions and Redump recoverable!.

Just to thank everyone that helped me before (answering my questions in different forums, or by spending time and writing clear explanations in posts and blogs), now I am willing to help other users!

To start with, you can read my answers in this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/to-stupid-for-nkit-convert-to-iso.552191/

There you have some details about what you need, and magnet link to NKit 2020.4.29 full package... (NO ROMS OR GAMES, just the program and partitions).

And after that, feel free to ask me any doubts you have (or issues you come accross). You can write in English or Spanish (and maybe a little Portuguese and Italian)!

Regards,
    Gabriel (from Buenos Aires, Argentina)

5. TwilightSlick

TwilightSlick Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey, I found a game that has problems with Nkit.

Namco Museum (the first one, not 50th Anniversary) (GNMEAF) on the GameCube freezes on the title screen (before "press start" comes up) when in the Nkit format. This was tested on Nintendont on Wii (nkit.iso) and the Dolphin emulator (nkit.iso & nkit.gcz) converted using the latest Nkit and the latest Redump GC DAT.

The 1:1 ISO and a CISO made via Wit both boot fine on the Wii and Dolphin.
    I can't test other regions or versions since it is NA exclusive and has no known code revisions.

Just some food for thought for the upcoming version of Nkit. Can't wait for WBFS output support! With that I could kiss Wii Backup Manager goodbye (unless WBM adds support for Nkit images so I don't have to go from Nkit>ISO>WBFS).

***EDIT - FURTHER TESTING - After reading a Dolphin progress update I decided to go into nkit.dll.config, add an FST alignment exception for the game (the one that by default only applies to the GameCube Service Disc and Aging Disc), re-converted into Nkit, and the resulting image booted on both Dolphin and Nintendont!***

Last edited by TwilightSlick, Jul 6, 2020
  6. Nonstiq

Nonstiq Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    Just looking for confirmation - nkit.iso files will load on Swiss on a GameCube, but nkit.gcz will not. Is this correct?

7. mundodisco

mundodisco Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Yes, you're right @Nonstiq . At least, I can confirm nkit.iso can be loaded on Nintendont on Wii, but not nkit.gcz (the latter must be converted with NKit app before). And as the difference in MB is minimal between both formats, I should suggest not using nkit.gcz for archival purposes (keep all in nkit.iso).

8. Vimm

Vimm Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Seems some Dolphin developers have a bone to pick with NKit. Were you aware that in the latest build of Dolphin (currently 5.0-12528) when you load an NKit game a lengthy warning pops up lambasting NKit?

9. leseratte

leseratte Wiimmfi Team

Germany
    Well, all the points they have about NKit are valid - I wouldn't want to use NKit to actually play games either.

10. wiindsurf

wiindsurf Member
    Newcomer

New Zealand
    Does anyone have a screenshot to share? Thanks!

11. leseratte

leseratte Wiimmfi Team

Germany
  12. enarky

enarky owls?

Afghanistan
    For some reason all my isos fail to convert to NKit format. Same error message on 53 files:
    Code:
    PROCESSING
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GameName [GMID]  GameCube  [MiB:1392.3]

1 Pass: [ISO] >> [To NKit]

To NKit:        .1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10 ~ 0m 42s  [MiB:    3.2]  NKit Written

|DETAIL
        |Fst parsing error - Converting as bad image
        |NKit Disc [GMID]: In [3.2 MiB] (3318112 bytes), Out [3.2 MiB] (bytes 3319808)
        |NKit Disc [GMID]: Preservation Padding [.0 MiB] 1696 bytes

Verification Failed Crc:ABCDABCD - Failed Test Crc:DCBADCBA
    Deleting Output

Summary Log Written
    Converting on a headless Debian Linux using Mono. Gamecube ISOs come from a source that claims to be Redump verified, but I haven't verified them myself.

Anyone has any input what's happening?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Preserve, GameCube, Playable