WiiFlow Lite with emulator's database

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Wiimpathy, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Wiimpathy
    OP

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    WHAT IS IT?
    ############

It displays a game info window and synopsis for almost all emulated systems. It's also possible to show a snapshot and a cartridge image.
    Here are some screenshots :

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

HOWTO
    ########

- Download and extract this modified WiiFlow Lite : https://github.com/Wiimpathy/WiiFlow_Lite/releases/download/v5.1.0/wfl_v5.1.0_DB.zip

- Download the databases for each console/computer : https://www.mediafire.com/file/a3ldc8dibakwffg/Wiiflow_Database.7z/file

- Download the snapshots and cartridge/disks images : https://www.mediafire.com/file/4ncv79000codslq/Wiiflow_Snapshots.7z/file
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/1fikbg3wler5do6/Wiiflow_CartDisk.7z/file

- Extract the images and databases to SD or USB. By default, Wiiflow searches on sd card. If you want to change the paths to USB, edit wiiflow_lite.ini :

* dir_cart=usb1:/wiiflow/cart_disk (It's the cartridges, CD, and disks images)
    * dir_snap=usb1:/wiiflow/snapshots (In-game snapshots)
    * dir_plugins_data=usb1:/wiiflow/plugins_data (databases)

- Now launch WiiFlow, select a plugin and press + button on a game.

Notes
    #####
    Some technical and not essential remarks...

CREDITS
    ########
    screenscraper.fr, thegamesdb.net ...

Attached Files:

Last edited by Wiimpathy, Feb 26, 2019
  2. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    looks great! sorry i stopped messing with this idea. i was in a hurry to get wfl 5.0 out and focus more on thanksgiving and christmas and other stuff. i'm in the midst of changing the coding for the config screens but would like to add this to wfl if ok with you.

3. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    No problem if you want to add it. There are still adjustments to do but the essential should be there.

alexander1970 and Tetsuo Shima like this.
  4. fledge68

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    @Wiimpathy is there any way you can send me a PR? or a patch file? or should i just clone it and copy the changed files over to my local repository?

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I'm a CFG fan but might have to give WiiFlow another chance. Great work.

6. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    OK fledge68, I've sent you a Pull request.

I've added Dosbox in the Todo. Right now, there's no fallback if the name isn't found when using the plugin with .conf files. It would need a special case like what I've done for Atari st and .cfg files. It'd be a bit more complex because the .conf could contain any commands. But it should be possible to guess the exe path and compare crc...

Last edited by Wiimpathy, Jan 2, 2019
  7. fledge68

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    so here's some things that i'm not sure about.

1. the rating (16/20, 8/20). do we really need to show this? at first i didn't even know what it was. i personally would like to omit that.

2. the controllers. again do we really need to show this? i can see text showing how many players or co op. or maybe something indicating its a light gun game or a keyboard is required.

3. i see you omitted the text genre:, publisher:, developer:, etc.... maybe to give more room for the snapshots and carts? personally i think we need to add this text back. and maybe put buttons on the right to click to view the snapshot or cart.

everyone's feedback is welcome. otherwise i looked over the code and all the database and ini files and want to thank wiimpathy for doing all this and all the time he spent on it. thank you vey much! well done as always!

8. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    1. Yes, it's a screenscraper.fr user's rating, you can remove it or maybe make it optional. There's very few PEGI or other rating data, so I've used that instead.

2. Just like for Wii/GC games it shows the number of players. Personally I found it useful. And the coop value too, but for that we should perhaps add a new icon and the corresponding code off course...
    Regarding the control type, it's just the default and same controllers in all databases. I didn't bother to change them per system (keyboard for computers, required classic/GC for N64 etc.).

3. You're right, there's a lot less space with these texts particularly in languages other than English. It's still not enough sometimes specially with carbonik theme. I like to have this general view with info + both images. At first, I thought of another solution : truncate the text at a max length and add 3 dots. And a scrolling text when hovering with the Wiimote.
    Your idea to toggle between snapshot or cart(if I understand well?) may be an alternative. I'm also curious about other's suggestions...

Re-creating the databases took more time than I thought. The MegaCD serial detection is homemade because I couldn't find any info about headers. Some of the atari st pasti crcs are a bit exclusive too.
    But with about 50 systems, I'm sure you'll forgive all the mistakes!:)

9. fledge68

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    so i looked at dosbox wii conf files. using m_cfg would be good except when we get to the end [autoexec] no longer use 'key'='value'.

so i'm thinking read the conf like a text file. read 2 lines of it (if the line is just a \n\r then skip it). if the 2nd line = 'exit' then the first will contain the name of the games main executable. with the path to the conf file it would be easy to just add 'games' to the end. with this path and the name i should be able to get the crc.

how does this sound @Wiimpathy

Last edited by fledge68, Jan 19, 2019
  10. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    You're right, you have to parse it yourself. There could be any Dos commands in [autoexec] though. The 'exit' command isn't mandatory for example.
    It's not that simple to get the game's path. The .conf or 'romdir' doesn't give you the full path. That was my plan that is also far from perfect:

- retrieve 'mount c ...' line and just keep 'root' path. (mount c usb:/dosbox/games)
    - retrieve 'cd ...' line to keep game's folder. (cd prehist2)
    - concatenate both : usb:/dosbox/game + prehist2
    - detect line containing .exe|.com|.bat to get game's executable.
    - path + executable

In Tetsuo pack : https://gbatemp.net/threads/dosbox-conf-and-map-files-collection-for-wiiflow.348496/, there are cases where it wouldn't work like Pinball Dreams because D is used to mount the iso... Not much time right now... If you have better ideas...

Oh, and by the way, the Dos database isn't made yet!

11. fledge68

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    oh right .... usb:dosbox/games + game folder + executable. i was forgetting the game folder. i have tetsuo's pack but only looked at a few of the conf files.
    in your packs i see a dos.xml. isn't that the Dos database?

12. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Yes, the data is there. I meant the .ini with the crcs. They are from screenscraper.fr, and they don't seem to match any exe. The crc from libretro are far better.
    I have to recreate a DOS.ini with their data instead. Or if anyone with scripting skills can help, you're welcome.

13. cebolleto

cebolleto GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2010
    What a great job!
    I finally found some time to test it, thanks a lot @Wiimpathy
    The way you match the screenshots instead of using the rom name works much better than trying to rename them

A bug I noticed... it seems that you cannot navigate Wii or Gamecube isos anymore with this mod

14. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Thanks, glad you like it.

Regarging the bug, is there a crash when you open Wii or GC coverflow? Are you using source menu?
    Normally, you should still be able to access sources other than plugins.

It also seems that Fledge68 has modified this gameinfo code and possibly fixed some bugs. No build yet but you can compile it if you want: https://github.com/Fledge68/WiiFlow_Lite

15. cebolleto

cebolleto GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2010
    Yes, you were right: accesing the source directly works
    I was also thinking... how hard would it be to display the screenshot when selecting a game just as the banner appears in Wii or Gamecube games?

16. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    It may be a good idea. I'll let fledge68 do it if he wants to cause he knows the code better than me.

Last edited by Wiimpathy, Feb 6, 2019
  17. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Little update:

- ScummVM titles works now. Search is only based on names.
    - ScummVM ini updated(names).
    - NeoGeo database bad dates fixed.
    - Arcade.xml and Mame.xml merged.

See wfl_DB_Test2.zip and Wiiflow_Database_V2.zip in the first post.

18. Tetsuo Shima

Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    Italy
    @Wiimpathy I noticed that wonderswan screenshots are not vertically aligned to the frame. The top and bottom transparent margin is bigger than the frame. No problems with the left and right margins.
    They should look like this
    2Arc The Lad - Kijin Fukkatsu.
    They are 256 x 224 pixels
    They should be 256 x 144 pixels

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima, Mar 9, 2019
  19. RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2018
    United States
    Here are 1050+ GBA cart_disc files for download if anyone is interested. Thank You Wiimpathy for this tremendous add-on. Also to fledge68, without your devoted & continued expansion of this great loader, this would not be possible. Thank You so much.

Added a few fixes to GBA cart_disk.

Added 170 Mega Drive cart_disk.

Attached Files:

Last edited by RunningSnakes, Mar 22, 2019
  20. Wiimpathy
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Nice @RunningSnakes. It's so rare to have people helping and sharing. I salute you!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted