Hardware Homebrew 2Ds XL Won't Boot, blue light flashes

ivanose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I recently purchased a second-hand Nintendo 2DS XL with the intention of repairing it. However, I've encountered a problem where, upon attempting to power it on, the blue light briefly illuminates for a second and then turns off. I've noticed that the speakers remain silent during this process, and from what I've read, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

In my attempt to resolve this issue, I've been researching and following various tutorials on how to update the CFW (Custom Firmware) with the latest version of Luma. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make any significant progress. I must admit that I'm somewhat out of touch with the current CFW scene, so I'm hoping for some assistance or guidance to help me understand the problem better.

Additionally, I've noticed that the home button is sunken. I'm unsure if this is related to the issue, but I'd like to know if there's a way to potentially recover the console before considering purchasing replacement rubber for the button.

I'd like to mention that the microSD card I'm using is working perfectly. I've verified its reliability using H2testw, and it passed without any problems.

Any insights or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ivanose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I believe so. When I start the console with only the 'boot.firm' and 'boot.3dsx' files on the card, upon inserting the card back into the PC, the console has created the 'luma' folder in the root, but nothing else

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hardware issues are likely if the blue LED goes off instantly instead of fading off. A popping sound can happen on abrupt hardware shutdown, but it doesn't always do that.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking maybe ur boot firm is corrupt. What happens if turn it on without sd card in it. My young grandsons 2ds I think was doing the same if I recall and I transferred new cfw boot file on sd card and copied over to name and that seemed to fix the turn on then straight off issue. He’d play games and not turn the system off and battery went dead with system on and I think that’s what caused corruption. Try holding start when power on 2ds. I think that’s the godmode call up. Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve done any cfw stuff with the 3ds and 2ds

Last edited by Tri-Z,

ivanose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hardware issues are likely if the blue LED goes off instantly instead of fading off. A popping sound can happen on abrupt hardware shutdown, but it doesn't always do that.
Thank you, I'll try to open it in the coming days. Do you know where I should look first?
I was thinking maybe ur boot firm is corrupt. What happens if turn it on without sd card in it. My young grandsons 2ds I think was doing the same if I recall and I transferred new cfw boot file on sd card and copied over to name and that seemed to fix the turn on then straight off issue. He’d play games and not turn the system off and battery went dead with system on and I think that’s what caused corruption. Try holding start when power on 2ds. I think that’s the godmode call up. Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve done any cfw stuff with the 3ds and 2ds
When I turn it on without the card, the same thing happens; it turns off a second after hitting the power button.
i tried holding start and recovery mode too with L+R+A+Up, but nothing happens.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall I believe with the 2ds it turned on without sd card but none of games were there cause no sd card. So I’d look at the obvious spot first, under home button if open it.
Maybe try one last thing and DL godmode 9 and rename it to boot.firm and see if godmode 9 boots up

ivanose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If I recall I believe with the 2ds it turned on without sd card but none of games were there cause no sd card. So I’d look at the obvious spot first, under home button if open it.
Maybe try one last thing and DL godmode 9 and rename it to boot.firm and see if godmode 9 boots up
With GodMode9 doesn't start the console. I'll try to open the console in the coming days to see what I find. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto