Hacking New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Virus-D

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Virus-D said:
I got the game to actually run but 3-5 minutes into it, I get an error (I believe it's referred to as "General Error").

Release NTSC console (DMS) 4.1U
Unpatched NTSC ISO released by QWIIF
Chipped with Cyclowiz v1
Running Wiiflow 1.1 to play almost all games.
Had to update to cIOS38r15 just to get the game to even run.

I read... 20 or so pages of this thread and almost no mention of something similar to my situation other than this current page with no resolve. Please help.

OK, I finally got it to work without crashing mid-game.
In addition to cIOS38r15, I used NeoGamma R8 beta 15.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dm2dgztd0wd
Within NeoGamma I also used the included SMNE.wip/SMNP.wip files in SD:\neogamma\
Once the needed .wip file is in place, just set option "002fix" and "search for patches"
That's it.

Now the question is how to get it working in the desired USB Loader (Wiiflow in my case) because Neogamma isn't exactly winning any beauty contests and browsing a large game library is difficult.

Carlotta_Monroe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bender01 said:
Blue-K said:
-Try GeckoOS, and this PAL or this NTSC Cheat File. Place it under /codes/, and activate Ocarina in GeckoOS.
The PAL cheat file is no more available : where can I get it ? Or does the NTSC work for a PAL console ? Thanks for help.
Yes, the PAL cheat file is no longer available, could someone please re-upload this and change the link in the OP too maybe?

miloe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
effbee said:
miloe said:
Alright. I've been reading this long post for days.

I have a 3.4U nstc wii, with wiikey1 and decided to softmod the machine to be able to play this game (and use usb loaders to stop burning discs)

Used these steps to mod : http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-154/4_...2_guide-797772/

Using that I installed HBC, bootmii, used these from nusd to get waninkoko 249 thing
IOS15-64-v257.wad
IOS15-64-v266.wad
IOS36-64-v3094.wad
IOS38-64-v3610.wad

then made my wii 4.0U. then patched the IOS60 as directed.

So....i've tried cfg, neogamma, wiiflow, usb loader gx. last versions i could find. The rest of games tested work fine, so i know the USB loaders are working.

but for nsmb....same result all the time, when hitting A to finally load the game....a damn black screen (is it the same green screen some say?). Used the error 2 fix option, in combination with force ntsc, or just one or the other...no luck

I use this one ws_nsmbw_ntsc.iso i downloaded last week. I also patched the dol myself using hex editor....no good.

Anyone with the same that could gimme a piece of advice. kinda frustrated here......

You need IOS53 Trucha patched also, NSMB uses it.

Hey thanks for the response. I'll look around on how to do this you say.

I did something silly...I was really using only patched versions. The one I thought was unpatched...in fact was. fortunately i kept the rars of my original iso, so used an unpatched game and voila. So I got the game working without this IOS53 you are talking about. Is it really necessary?

One curiosity: when I patched the iso using Wiiscrub 1.4, i used the 0xFF option for the TRIM config. Should I have used the "TRUCHA" option?

jmario79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick question...

i have 3.4U and no patched isos on my wii.

also installed neogamma as a disc channel.

when i load a unpatched/full version nsmb through the negamma channel will the wii still ask to update like it would through the regular disk channel?

SMS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay...used the PPF patcher on the main dol, my PPF-o-matic(V3) says "binblock/patchvalidation" failed. Continue? I continued, the alternate main.dol does NOT load the game. Black Screen, no more responds from the Wii afterwards. Got NeogammaR8 Beta 12, rev14, in other words, I'm using the disc loader method.

What's the "run the makekeybin" thing usefull for anyways? I generated some keys, and never used them. Useless much?

PS: Using the PAL version on a PAL system.

pinkshirt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
urherenow said:
DalyTek said:
It will only be a concern if you are using (or if you go to) 4.2 firmware. Otherwise, your WiiKey should handle the PAL disc just fine. (My D2Pro did until 4.2, and it's made by the same team and essentailly is the same device as the WiiKey.)

Just make sure that if you are going to patch the ISO, that you use the PAL patch or it will error out on you. I believe if you are using a loader that you need to force NTSC, but I am not 100% on that method.

Wait a minute... region free doesn't work on 4.2 with a MOD CHIP?
Are you sure about that? If that's the case then I just ordered a darn solderless Wiikey2 for nothing. It's easy as pie to install SM4.1 but heck, I ordered so I wouldn't have to keep up with the scene so much...

4.2 breaks region free on every mod I've tried. Wasabis, Wiikeys, Flatmods, Drivekeys.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Updated the Links in the first post with own Mirrors. Will also try to make it even more clear soon.

Also:
This Guide belongs to GBATemp and their members! Anyone that copies stuff from it, modify it and post it on another Site (yes, I'm watching you!) has at least to give Credit, or put it immediately down!
This will also be on the first post soon. I and the community put a lot of work in it, so respect this please!

D

darklocust

New Super Mario Bros Wii USA Wii-QwiiF + New Super Mario Bros Wii USA PROPER FiX Wii-iND + cIOS38 r14 + IOS53 + NeoGamma r7 = working!

Hitcher

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just going around in circles here and now I'm totally at a dead end.

I've followed xzxero's guide to the letter, installed cIOSCORP v3.5, patched the ISO and did the 'rev 14 dipped IOS53-v5406' thing but still I can't get it to run.

From the main menu the disc says it needs a system update and trying to run it using NeoGamma does the green screen/reboot thing.

I'm on 4.2U by the way.

Any help greatly appreciated.

robbertnl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had same problems, neogamma 8 with new cios didn't work for me (4.1 menu). So i tried cleaning up first the old ciosses i installed before with the wad manager. I guess i cleaned to much, because the wadmanager wanted to reboot but it hangs when trying to reboot. After manually shutting down and pressing the on button it doesn't boot anymore. It accepts cd's/dvds but the screen stays black. I am using a wiikey2 as wel.
I installed the cios38rev14
Then i deinstalled via the wadmanager:
ciosv7
ios35
ios36
ios60patched

Is there any solution to get it running again (installing the iosses again)?
Savemii an option?

ghaldos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could not get this game working on a dvd on a 3.2u wii with cios rev14, neogamma, uloader, installed ios53. I ended up patching and trimming the iso and putting it on my sd card and loaded up through neogamma worked great played for 4 hours last night no problems.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If anyone on here decides to post the guide anywhere else, think about this: You won't be updating that post, just link them here, maybe we'll get a few more members.

Germita

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question about this game. Ive seen all the explanations in the first but none of them is any good for me. I have a wiikey 1 and want to play the game without doing any complicated like mess wii the wiis os or anything like that. I only hjave qwiikey 1, no softmod, no usb loader, no neogamma ir rev15. I just want something easy that i can use so i can play nsmbw. i understand that it no possible yet on wiikey.

So i wonder if wiikey team has announced the new update for a certain realese date or said anything about the new update. I just want to burn the iso and play the game trough the disc channel.?is there any "easy way to play this game that for example only consist of installing 1 file on the wii.?

SinRG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey,

I've been out of the Wii-Modding scene for a while now... my Wii is currently at 4.0U (HBC and USBLoader GX are on). I was just wondering, what steps do I need to take it in order to get my Wii to play New Super Mario Bros?

Will I need to update the firmware? If so, which method should I use? I've been hearing Trucha Bug thrown around, but I'm not 100% sure what it is.

Thanks!

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Germita said:
I have a question about this game. Ive seen all the explanations in the first but none of them is any good for me. I have a wiikey 1 and want to play the game without doing any complicated like mess wii the wiis os or anything like that. I only hjave qwiikey 1, no softmod, no usb loader, no neogamma ir rev15. I just want something easy that i can use so i can play nsmbw. i understand that it no possible yet on wiikey.

So i wonder if wiikey team has announced the new update for a certain realese date or said anything about the new update. I just want to burn the iso and play the game trough the disc channel.?is there any "easy way to play this game that for example only consist of installing 1 file on the wii.?
There is no simple, "just install this file to play" method for this game. In order to play an NSMB backup, you need homebrew. No exceptions.

P.S.- I wouldn't expect any more WiiKey 1 updates... The team's attention is on their newer chips.
QUOTE(SinRG @ Nov 23 2009, 07:14 PM) Hey,

I've been out of the Wii-Modding scene for a while now... my Wii is currently at 4.0U (HBC and USBLoader GX are on). I was just wondering, what steps do I need to take it in order to get my Wii to play New Super Mario Bros?

Will I need to update the firmware? If so, which method should I use? I've been hearing Trucha Bug thrown around, but I'm not 100% sure what it is.

Thanks!
The only IOS you *might* need to install is IOS53. If you update USB Loader GX and you should be able to load it with no issues.

moximoore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit....I actually got this son of a bitch working. So far I've beat the timed 6 minute Disc Read Error Screen. However I've heard a number of people say the game freezes on certain worlds or stages. So I'll have to wait and see. I just said the hell with it and soft modded my Wii...Which is surprisingly simple when you have every thing you need from the start.
tongue.gif

What I got:

Updated Wiikey v1.9
Using 4.0U Loader
HBC,boot2, NeoGammaR8beta12
Unpatched, but SCRUBBED Rom

I followed the instructions to the letter from this faq.

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html

I did everything EXCEPT the "Get CIOS" portion of the faq and my game is running fine. The faq also has a link containing all the files, programs, and Apps you'll need in ONE download to get going.

uzirider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
Works with neogamma6 and uLoader (no modchip, only softmod) but freezes when entering World 2-Castle. It's impossible to go further.

tester0000175

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
moximoore said:
Holy shit....I actually got this son of a bitch working. So far I've beat the timed 6 minute Disc Read Error Screen. However I've heard a number of people say the game freezes on certain worlds or stages. So I'll have to wait and see. I just said the hell with it and soft modded my Wii...Which is surprisingly simple when you have every thing you need from the start.
tongue.gif

What I got:

Updated Wiikey v1.9
Using 4.0U Loader
HBC,boot2, NeoGammaR8beta12
Unpatched, but SCRUBBED Rom

I followed the instructions to the letter from this faq.

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html

I did everything EXCEPT the "Get CIOS" portion of the faq and my game is running fine. The faq also has a link containing all the files, programs, and Apps you'll need in ONE download to get going.

Thanks so much ... It works for me as well ... I got same setting except I got 4.1U
NeoGammaR8beta7 and beta 15 won't work for me.
beta12 seems work. One of stage won't work at world I, but there is an alternative route, so I am good.
I am at world 3 now.
I hope this can help wiikey user ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...