Gaming New Super Mario Bros 2 $70 on eshop in AUS/NZ?

PaulAldrich

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I opened my eshop today and was surprised to see that NSMB2 was priced at $69.95 which to my knowledge is $10 more than its retail price? Does Nintendo honestly want more for an on-line copy of the game? Dont even get me started on the despicable distortion of the price relative to our exchange rate...

Reactions: 1 person

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm paying $68 Retail for the Gold Coin Edition at EB Games. But honestly, $10 extra isn't that bad considering you can't lose a soft copy (unless your system memory gets wiped).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apparently that's the RRP that Nintendo sets, and they aren't allowed to sell it for less than that else they'll undercut their retailers selling the physical copies.

The retailers would be totally pissed off it Nintendo sold it for the same as they were.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah was gonna post about this if someone else hasn't, so rediculous. I don't know what Nintendo are thinking.
They're selling the physical version of the game for $49.95 at DickSmith.

This is very bad news to me for Nintendo's digital distribution plan. They are supposedly going to be releasing all first party 3DS and Wii U games as both digital and physical.
but who in the right mind would pay 30% more for the various inconveniences of a digital copy.

75940.jpg

Honestly, seeing that ^ in the eShop, it looks like a pricing error to me. I just don't get it.

If you guys want to get it now, and cheaper, follow these instructions but use the German store. $52.

http://ds.mmgn.com/N...2-early-cheaper
Sounds risky. I wouldn't want to lose my download list with ambassador titles, do you keep your download list?
I don't want to buy it since I'll get the "Gold Coin Edition" with the plastic coin game case with the physical game for $50, but just asking for future reference.

Apparently that's the RRP that Nintendo sets, and they aren't allowed to sell it for less than that else they'll undercut their retailers selling the physical copies.

The retailers would be totally pissed off it Nintendo sold it for the same as they were.
I swear I've seen games cheaper on PSN than instores though...

donelwero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes PSN games are a little bit cheaper than retail price. I don't think that selling it cheaper undercuts their reailers, not everyone will buy a physical copy.
This is a bad move... I was goint to buy it digital, all my PS Vita games are digital and that's how I wanted it to be with the 3DS... I won't buy a physical copy of this game anyway.

PaulAldrich

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah was gonna post about this if someone else hasn't, so rediculous. I don't know what Nintendo are thinking.

This is very bad news to me for Nintendo's digital distribution plan. They are supposedly going to be releasing all first party 3DS and Wii U games as both digital and physical.
but who in the right mind would pay 30% more for the various inconveniences of a digital copy.

75940.jpg

Honestly, seeing that ^ in the eShop, it looks like a pricing error to me. I just don't get it.

If you guys want to get it now, and cheaper, follow these instructions but use the German store. $52.

Sounds risky. I wouldn't want to lose my download list with ambassador titles, do you keep your download list?
I don't want to buy it since I'll get the "Gold Coin Edition" with the plastic coin game case with the physical game for $50, but just asking for future reference.

Yeah its totally ridiculous... The fact that it even costs that much at retail is disgusting. if Nintendo kept up with the exchange rate they would undoubtedly sell many more copies of their games in AUS NZ. The fact that they blame on costs such as higher priced retail space due to higher rent and labour costs is really just a weak argument. considering rent in Tokyo (where these games sell for a fraction of the price they go for in AUS) has much higher land rental costs.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't loose your list when switching between regions, but they sometimes won't work or error out when attempting to re-download. So just return to the region of original download, to download that title again. Also your balance is saved to each region of eShop you use. So say, you added $20 to your AUS eShop account, then switched to German eShop and added 45EUR to buy NSMB2, then returned to your Australian eShop, that $20 would still be there. You really have nothing to loose switching eShop regions.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

75940.jpg

Yeah its totally ridiculous... The fact that it even costs that much at retail is disgusting. if Nintendo kept up with the exchange rate they would undoubtedly sell many more copies of their games in AUS NZ. The fact that they blame on costs such as higher priced retail space due to higher rent and labour costs is really just a weak argument. considering rent in Tokyo (where these games sell for a fraction of the price they go for in AUS) has much higher land rental costs.
The real reason is consumer volume. Australia makes less than 2% of Nintendo's (the parent company not Nintendo Australia Ltd.). This is because the amount of people who walk in to places like EB Games and JB Hifi, is much less than compared to America/Europe/Japan. But in saying that if Dick Smith can sell copies of this game a $50 and is still making a profit, Minus TAX Dicksmith receives $45.45 cash inflow for each sale of the game. That means that Nintendo is distributing games to Retail sellers at less than $45. Should we blame our local resellers?

Something else to consider, Nintendo would be unwise to undersell digital versions of games on the eShop, that would screw up relations with retailers. But I think by not restricting region swapping in someway for the EUR region, they are unofficially underselling regions more expensive than Germany.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
If I buy from the eshop i always switch to a cheaper region if I buy with credit card and don't already have "points"

PaulAldrich

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The heck are you complaining about, you Australians get more money on an average than us Americans do.

2011 GDP per capita Gave Australians $
39,466 per person​

2011 GDP per capita Gave Americans $48,442 per person​

I may be wrong but i think Americans earn more... I suppose our economic situation isn't totally backwards like yours is so... And we don't spend 20grand a year on medical insurance (more like 1).. Honestly how could you people be against Obama care? Off topic!!!!!!!!​

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's relative to your economy. Australians might get paid more but we pay 3-4 times more for electronics and video games. Actually, Australians probably pay more for many things which indicates the difference in pay.

EB games usually sell a brand new game for $109 for console. $70 for 3DS game, in America, it's a lot cheaper!

PaulAldrich

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's relative to your economy. Australians might get paid more but we pay 3-4 times more for electronics and video games. Actually, Australians probably pay more for many things which indicates the difference in pay.

EB games usually sell a brand new game for $109 for console. $70 for 3DS game, in America, it's a lot cheaper!

Yeah the price of electronics is terrible. Also Australian have a lower GDP per capita than the USA but that can mostly be attributed to income inequality (i.e rich get richer poor get poorer) due to their inefficient welfare system.

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country

Valve do it all the time with steam.

inb4 'It's only old games'. Last year the 'Valve Pack', which contained every Valve game ever made including the just-released Portal 2, was on Steam for £25.

I know that was a sale price, but even the regular prices are ridiculously cheaper than physical copies.

How Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony can all justify charging well over the odds for their own content on their own distribution medium is beyond me. They're charging extra for convenience, when that shouldn't be the case. Digital distribution is far cheaper than physical, and the price should reflect that.

They could really take a bite out of the pre-owned market if they priced things competitively with online stores. Instead of buying the cheaper, pre-owned copy from a game store (of which Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft see none of the takings), people would be more compelled to get the digital version instantly and cheaper instead. I know I would.

But with literally no benefits over physical media, I've never bought anything off Xbox Live that I couldn't buy physically on disk for less money. And with the way Nintendo seem to be pricing things, that'll remain the case for the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!