New Super Mario Bros 2 $70 on eshop in AUS/NZ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by PaulAldrich, Aug 17, 2012.

Aug 17, 2012
  1. PaulAldrich
    OP

Newcomer PaulAldrich Member

Australia
    I opened my eshop today and was surprised to see that NSMB2 was priced at $69.95 which to my knowledge is $10 more than its retail price? Does Nintendo honestly want more for an on-line copy of the game? Dont even get me started on the despicable distortion of the price relative to our exchange rate...

1 person likes this.
  2. mariofanatic64

Member mariofanatic64 The guy who does things

Australia
    I'm paying $68 Retail for the Gold Coin Edition at EB Games. But honestly, $10 extra isn't that bad considering you can't lose a soft copy (unless your system memory gets wiped).

1 person likes this.
  3. rizzod

Member rizzod Not a New Member

Australia
  4. catcat8023

Newcomer catcat8023 Newbie

United States
  5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Apparently that's the RRP that Nintendo sets, and they aren't allowed to sell it for less than that else they'll undercut their retailers selling the physical copies.

The retailers would be totally pissed off it Nintendo sold it for the same as they were.

6. ieatpixels

Member ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Yeah was gonna post about this if someone else hasn't, so rediculous. I don't know what Nintendo are thinking.
    They're selling the physical version of the game for $49.95 at DickSmith.

This is very bad news to me for Nintendo's digital distribution plan. They are supposedly going to be releasing all first party 3DS and Wii U games as both digital and physical.
    but who in the right mind would pay 30% more for the various inconveniences of a digital copy.

[​IMG]

Honestly, seeing that ^ in the eShop, it looks like a pricing error to me. I just don't get it.

Sounds risky. I wouldn't want to lose my download list with ambassador titles, do you keep your download list?
    I don't want to buy it since I'll get the "Gold Coin Edition" with the plastic coin game case with the physical game for $50, but just asking for future reference.

I swear I've seen games cheaper on PSN than instores though...

7. donelwero

Member donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Yes PSN games are a little bit cheaper than retail price. I don't think that selling it cheaper undercuts their reailers, not everyone will buy a physical copy.
    This is a bad move... I was goint to buy it digital, all my PS Vita games are digital and that's how I wanted it to be with the 3DS... I won't buy a physical copy of this game anyway.

8. PaulAldrich
    OP

Australia
    Yeah its totally ridiculous... The fact that it even costs that much at retail is disgusting. if Nintendo kept up with the exchange rate they would undoubtedly sell many more copies of their games in AUS NZ. The fact that they blame on costs such as higher priced retail space due to higher rent and labour costs is really just a weak argument. considering rent in Tokyo (where these games sell for a fraction of the price they go for in AUS) has much higher land rental costs.

9. digipokemaster

Member digipokemaster Innocent Uke

United States
    i hope that isnt true that way more then the game is at a store

10. 3DSGuy

Member 3DSGuy No longer in scene

United States
    You won't loose your list when switching between regions, but they sometimes won't work or error out when attempting to re-download. So just return to the region of original download, to download that title again. Also your balance is saved to each region of eShop you use. So say, you added $20 to your AUS eShop account, then switched to German eShop and added 45EUR to buy NSMB2, then returned to your Australian eShop, that $20 would still be there. You really have nothing to loose switching eShop regions.

11. 3DSGuy

Member 3DSGuy No longer in scene

United States
    The real reason is consumer volume. Australia makes less than 2% of Nintendo's (the parent company not Nintendo Australia Ltd.). This is because the amount of people who walk in to places like EB Games and JB Hifi, is much less than compared to America/Europe/Japan. But in saying that if Dick Smith can sell copies of this game a $50 and is still making a profit, Minus TAX Dicksmith receives $45.45 cash inflow for each sale of the game. That means that Nintendo is distributing games to Retail sellers at less than $45. Should we blame our local resellers?

Something else to consider, Nintendo would be unwise to undersell digital versions of games on the eShop, that would screw up relations with retailers. But I think by not restricting region swapping in someway for the EUR region, they are unofficially underselling regions more expensive than Germany.

12. DonnyKD

Member DonnyKD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The heck are you complaining about, you Australians get more money on an average than us Americans do.

13. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    If I buy from the eshop i always switch to a cheaper region if I buy with credit card and don't already have "points"

14. rizzod

Member rizzod Not a New Member

Australia
  15. PaulAldrich
    OP

Australia
    2011 GDP per capita Gave Australians $
    39,466 per person​

2011 GDP per capita Gave Americans $48,442 per person​

I may be wrong but i think Americans earn more... I suppose our economic situation isn't totally backwards like yours is so... And we don't spend 20grand a year on medical insurance (more like 1).. Honestly how could you people be against Obama care? Off topic!!!!!!!!​

1 person likes this.
  16. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It's relative to your economy. Australians might get paid more but we pay 3-4 times more for electronics and video games. Actually, Australians probably pay more for many things which indicates the difference in pay.

EB games usually sell a brand new game for $109 for console. $70 for 3DS game, in America, it's a lot cheaper!

17. PaulAldrich
    OP

Australia
    Yeah the price of electronics is terrible. Also Australian have a lower GDP per capita than the USA but that can mostly be attributed to income inequality (i.e rich get richer poor get poorer) due to their inefficient welfare system.

18. muckers

Member muckers GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Valve do it all the time with steam.

inb4 'It's only old games'. Last year the 'Valve Pack', which contained every Valve game ever made including the just-released Portal 2, was on Steam for £25.

I know that was a sale price, but even the regular prices are ridiculously cheaper than physical copies.

How Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony can all justify charging well over the odds for their own content on their own distribution medium is beyond me. They're charging extra for convenience, when that shouldn't be the case. Digital distribution is far cheaper than physical, and the price should reflect that.

They could really take a bite out of the pre-owned market if they priced things competitively with online stores. Instead of buying the cheaper, pre-owned copy from a game store (of which Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft see none of the takings), people would be more compelled to get the digital version instantly and cheaper instead. I know I would.

But with literally no benefits over physical media, I've never bought anything off Xbox Live that I couldn't buy physically on disk for less money. And with the way Nintendo seem to be pricing things, that'll remain the case for the 3DS.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dingoo-fan 32

Member Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Here in brazil it costs $74,99