ROM Hack New Retro Mario Bros.

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so I'm guessing Gridattack's advice to make an empty tile with a behavior set to mini shroom block didn't help you eh.
darn.
hmmm, i'm sorry i can't help atm. I'm going to open up the level editor and look into and see if i can find a way to figure this out as well.

In the mean time, i wish you luck with this issue. ^^

ps. thank you Gridattack for being of minor assistance in this thread, it's very appreciated!
smile.gif

especially since you have your own hack of the new super mario bros! ^^

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Zeldamoron said:
so I'm guessing Gridattack's advice to make an empty tile with a behavior set to mini shroom block didn't help you eh.
darn.
hmmm, i'm sorry i can't help atm. I'm going to open up the level editor and look into and see if i can find a way to figure this out as well.

In the mean time, i wish you luck with this issue. ^^

ps. thank you Gridattack for being of minor assistance in this thread, it's very appreciated!
smile.gif

especially since you have your own hack of the new super mario bros! ^^

Ah... Be nice to him... He's just trying to keep our projects from being precisely identical... (Which they won't
biggrin.gif
)

I'm going to try placing some more random hexadecimal values again...

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
those platforms go downwards correct?
if so, then that's a great spot for a star coin.
if those platforms rise, then it's too tough to get...

anyways, yea, looks like a good spot! ^^

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zeldamoron said:
those platforms go downwards correct?
if so, then that's a great spot for a star coin.
if those platforms rise, then it's too tough to get...

anyways, yea, looks like a good spot! ^^
I think you've got it backwards...
If they go DOWN it will be more difficult since you'll only have a split second from the time you land on them til you need to get off of them.
If they go UP, then you can just hop right before the lift appears and you'll land right on it..

Though I suppose it depends on which direction you're going... I was thinking of getting out.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Slight update on progress.
I have 1-1, 1-3, 1-Castle from SMB: Lost Levels. I have 1-2 about 15% done.
I'm hoping to release this by Christmas (December 25) 12:00 AM GMT (midnight)

This is turning into a graphics hack, also. (@Gridatttack, I'm not trying to copy you, I have completely different graphics)
Pics:
nrmb1.jpg

edit: oops, forgot this one...
nrmb2.jpg
(sorry for bar at top...)
EDIT: Custom pipes can't work...

I am working on underground sections now...

So far, I have been able to work around creating problems in other levels. I have been grinding my teeth working with this graphics editor...

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
I have this running on a clone/fake R4 and a DSTT...

I ask that when Demo2 comes out, if you can, test it on a flash cart. (I have R4-SDHC)

Also, a genuine DSTT and a DSTT-ADV... I will make sure that this works with my R4 before release, but I lost my DSTTs a couple days ago... Hope to find them soon!

EDIT: @TwiztidSinz: What cart do you have? (and where did you get it? How long ago?)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
EDIT: @TwiztidSinz: What cart do you have? (and where did you get it? How long ago?)
I've got the last revision of the official R4s after they removed the spring.
I ordered it from Divineo back when they were spring-loaded, but due to shortages and high return rates mine was delayed a while and I ended up getting one of the first of the non-spring cards.

I'll try testing the game again on my card with both R4 and R4li firmware.
apparently I've already tested that it works on the R4li firmware...

[Update]:
Tested the version with the logo on my R4 with the official v1.18 and unofficial v1.24R4li firmwares.
Both firmware work however YSMenu+DSTT v1.17a12 locks up after the Nintendo logo.

One thing I noticed, both R4 v1.18 and R4li v1.24 do NOT show a logo for the game in the browser, while the YSMenu+DSTT 1.17a12 -does- show a corrupted one.
Given that inserting an icon for this game seems to be rather difficult (I tried a few apps to put one in, none worked), I'm going to venture the guess that it's possibly related to the corrupt icon and not an issue with DSTT 1.17a2 and that R4 v1.18 and R4li v1.24 are just ignoring the bad data.... maybe.

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just reminding you that i'm always available everyday for testing and help with the project. keeping an eye on the thread daily ^^
(i have a m3 ds real with latest touchpod/m3sakura firmware)
hope to help you somehow ^^

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
I would probably have a "proper" BETA team, but I am making changes to like every level every 20-40 minutes...

I was going to use Super Mario All-Stars' castle, but I can't make Mario walk behind the image, only in-front of it...

I am going to put the original castle back in place and then finish 1-A so you can have a (hopefully) early Christmas (Where did Tempmas come from???) present
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

TwiztidSinz, ZeldaMoron, expect a PM here real soon... I would like you to test this version on your Flash Carts (all firmware)...

Surprisingly, I had absolutely NO luck running the logo version on my R4 SDHC, or either DSTT...

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kk, so far, i really have enjoyed the work you've done so far
you've done a very well job
the star coin locations are fantastic so far and none too difficult, but not too easy as well ^^ (although i find the second coin to be quite frustrating on the tower level) lol
3rd coin for 1-4 is quite frustrating with the pirahna plant, you need fire flower to kill him off or be willing to shrink from normal to small in order to get it (or really good at small wall jumps)
the coin where the platforms decend isn't too hard to get, you make a small jump, then wait for a platform to be at your foot level and run on it then jump ^^
the texture hacking (which is still incomplete as you said) really has a nice feeling to it, really like it
the distance from the flag and the jump points are great
level 1-4 if I die half way or a lil past (like right where the third coin would be) I found that the respawn is real bad. When i start the level from the checkpoint half way through the level, I appear "directly" on top of two goombas killing them right away as the level starts (I don't know if this is intentional or not)
stoked to see how 1-a works out in the end
1-5 has a whew random bloopers floating around the screen and kinda frustrating to avoid. Just wondering if your intent was to apply random flying bloopers to the level or not xD
1-5 also doesn't have locations for 3 coins yet and nor does the castle. But I'm sure you're still working on that ^^

This is all found within a simple quick run of the levels. I'll be running through them a few more times to be more thorough and opening the worlds in the level editor to find anything that might make out as a glitch or problem. Thanks for allowing me to help beta test your game and I hope my feedback helps.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Zeldamoron said:
level 1-4 if I die half way or a lil past (like right where the third coin would be) I found that the respawn is real bad. When i start the level from the checkpoint half way through the level, I appear "directly" on top of two goombas killing them right away as the level starts (I don't know if this is intentional or not)Yes, this is intentional, because if I set the spawn point to where it is in SMB:LL, the goombas kill me immediately...

Zeldamoron said:
1-5 has a whew random bloopers floating around the screen and kinda frustrating to avoid. Just wondering if your intent was to apply random flying bloopers to the level or not xDYes, this is intentional, play 1-3 of SMB LostLevels and you will see them there too.

QUOTE(Zeldamoron @ Dec 23 2009, 04:04 PM)
I'll be running through them a few more times to be more thorough and opening the worlds in the level editor to find anything that might make out as a glitch or problem. Thanks for allowing me to help beta test your game and I hope my feedback helps.
You're welcome and your input is greatly appreciated (I only have so much time to test, so I enjoy the help
biggrin.gif
)

P.S. I'm still working on the star coin positions...

(edit: I need to stop with these typos...)

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol nice with the typos
I'm glad to help
I'm here checking the thread daily ^^
so if you still need help I'm always around available to help
i forgot to mention that the icon did work in both firmware of the m3ds real
the m3 sakura and the touchpod firmwares, and I downgraded twice to see if it worked on a few older versions for those who still use older ones, and it still worked out fine ^^
The title is still New Super Mario Bros. on the title screen, but i'm sure that's intentional as you seemed to have found it rather complicated to work out your title situation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    that's weird
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @MysticStarlight, and oh i was talking about ups
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    No not that one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Surge protectors are what i was talking about
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yea I got confused for a bit
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @Xdqwerty literally juan:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    On the series s/x you can use a external HD but any next gen games must be on your internal ssd, or you can buy a ssd expansion card, but pricey. Any xbone, 360, or og Xbox games can be played from external tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Series §€×
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Insert **** here
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What a tiny memory card
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rumble packs are important
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure it's fully charged
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember someone made a vibrating Wiimote homebrew lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well you and bigonya love to sword fight your wiimotes
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    classic controller funky kong flame runner is overrated, i prefer wii wheel wario flame runner
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i returned
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm happy its first person.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All big titles should offer first and 3rd person it's been a thing since like gtaV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing Killer Clowns from Outer Space all day, is pretty fun. Basically Friday 13th but with clowns. One of my favorite b rated movies from way back.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, is it a game or a movie? get decided!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its a game based off the old movie
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a down scene with slow drums
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh cool that Bodycam games out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh cool that Bodycam games out