Gaming New PS3 System update 3.42

moosh01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just went on my PS3 and see that there is a new system update. Not sure what it involves, but can only guess is is in response to the PSJailbreak/PSGroove. Waiting on this one for a while!

UPDATE: DO NOT UPDATE! This is confirmed to block PSJailbreak/PSGroove/PSFreedom!

UPDATE 2: From PSGroove website
QUOTE said:
Sony has officially released 3.42 firmware. Obviously you shouldn’t update if this exploit is important to you. However, some sites are reporting with certainty that the exploit is “patched” The truth however, is that further testing is needed before knowing if this exploit is patched. The exploit is hardcoded to patch certain offsets in 3.41. The exploit is exclusive to 3.41 retail firmware at this moment. Other firmwares have different offsets, therefore someone will eventually need to port this to 3.42. However, I’ve received word from phiren on efnet that “if the ps3 with 3.42 firmware can boot with the dongle plugged in without freezing, then the exploit is closed” So if anyone is willing to test this, please post it in the comments.

Sony has issued an official statement regarding 3.42 on their blog and it doesn’t seem good for psjailbreakers and psgroovers.

Hi everyone! A minor update to your PS3 system is now available via system software update v3.42 that includes additional security features. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit the PS3 System Updates page.

UPDATE 3: Apparently the guys at Logic-Sunrise have found a fix for PSJailbreak for the update. They say it will not be compatible with clones, but there is always hope for that!
Here is a bad google translation from their site.
QUOTEIt is known for two weeks now, Logic Sunrise is filled with red, and it is not ready to change with the current advances. We attempt to find some 360 or Wii newser, but nothing! Go is no worse for us PS3 owners, but the team PSjailbreak have already found a way to bypass the security system in place to block dongles with the arrival this morning, firmware 3.42. The team thinks PSjailbreak out an update next week, not compatible with the clones (up from reverse engineering). The site elotrolado, known in Spain, confirmed this update, and explains that the new functions of backup manager will be available at the same time.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I need my online play so goodbye piracy.
wink.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
suppose Sony's gonna win the piracy fight, shame was looking forward to play illegal backups, whoops I mean legal backups =D

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of curious what all (in how, which won't be easily made public obviously) they patched. Did they remove the capability completely of retail PS3s to be dropped into dev mode using their dongle let alone this pirated wannabe legit dongle or what? Or was it just a direct snipe at these things someone will get into a push and shove fight over making it go, sony plugs it, it goes again...wash rinse repeat. Hopefully for Sony they got smart and just removed the ability to run dev mode in any form legit tools or not on a stock unit. Probably would piss off some licensees if they were going that route instead of a pricey dev kit, but as it goes shit happens.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gotta hand it Sony, not only did they patch this exploit quickly, but the update took less than 5 seconds to download.
biggrin.gif
Now I guess we'll see if PSJailbreak was really just a one-trick pony or not.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii is so great, its the scene that just keeps on chugging.
I HOPE the PS3 will be the same and that the hackers will find a way to keep the PS3 open. Just look at what the Wii has made possible. I've heard some say that Sony has not *specifically* blocked groove, its just that the code doesn't recognize 3.42, similarly to how it wouldn't work on 3.40 for instance. Don't quote me though.Nevermind, It was confirmed. I highly highly doubt that after all the PSJailbreak team has invested in this that they are just going to roll over.
*fingers crossed* that this doesn't destroy the beginning of a fantastic homebrew scene. If devs got behind the PS3, it would be an absolute powerhouse, think XBMC on steroids. Literally emulate ANYthing, and play PS1/PS2/PS3 (the last 20 years) from a 2tB hard drive. I mean....woah. A home media center so powerful, it would put XBMC to shame (and I still think XBMC on my Xbox woops my 360/Wii/PS3 in terms of serving up some home theatre, guess thats why I use it as such, guess thats cause its *OPEN*.)
For the people that said, meh, I'll just update cause I need my online, a workaround does exist it looks like. The proxy thing....forget the name. I would never forfeit the possibility of home-brew for online play. I'd buy another PS3 before that happened.
Also this is not late in the game for the PS3. Its just 4 years in for what is supposed to be a 2016 cycle. Thats 6 more years.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have already JailBroken your PS3, and are still on 3.41, then use Logan5's Proxy Tool. People have already confirmed it to be playing on PSN with 3.41 still.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
until they patch that in the next few days also
they did the same thing with 3.15 with people bypassing the 3.21 PSN block using a proxy also

BOTCK

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seems for me like a hotfix just to keep the piracy problem under control for now.
can't believe, that it's that easy to patch the DEV mode away - this mode is deep into
the ps3.

oh yeah - who cares for these shittys ps3 games , with a ps3 you can do such wonderfull things,
why waste your time with playing games?
sony could stop this whole mess with releasing an open ps3 - no ability to play ps3 games to prevent
piracy but oben for homebrew to run the ps3 as media station or emulator.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
leeagt said:
change your primary dns, on the ps3, to

Primary DNS: 67.202.81.137

this will allow online access without updating
thanks for the tip, works fine
a little on the slow side though..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox