1. 4,375

Front-page

It's not quite a remaster, nor a remake, claims Square Enix, in regards to the upcoming NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139. The game "reimagines" the PlayStation 3 title Nier in its original Japanese format, with a higher-quality soundtrack and improved graphics. A new 10-minute trailer shows off these upgraded qualities, along with some gameplay. You'll be able to play it for yourself when it launches on April 23 in the west, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC/Steam.

2. Discussion (39 replies)

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 GBAtemp's Biggest Women Respecter™
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Looking forward to this since I couldn't be bothered to play the original Nier knowing that lots of content was still left on the plate in the Japanese sister title. Now that I can play both Gestalt and Replicant, I'll have to get back into the series - Automata was fun.

4. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    ...and more dynamic combat inspired by Automata fluidity.
    This is what I'm most looking forward to and hopefully enemies behaviour is updated to challenge this system. Otherwise game will be either too easy or enemies will have just higher HP.

Scott_pilgrim and Silent_Gunner like this.
  5. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    Wait, there was stuff that simply didn't make it to the OG 360/PS3 release in the West?

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. Azael_inf

Azael_inf Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I want papa Nier

7. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Arab Emirates
    I played nier gestalt and replicant back on ps3, I like the father more as it make more sense in the story.
    I also didn't like the new English voice acting here, I want the original Grimoire Weiss voice.

Ather than that it looks great, will definitely play it too.

r5xscn likes this.
  8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Little boy Nier ruins the game a lot. Even his voice lines suck. He's way less badass than real Nier from Gestalt. Really hope they do some kind of DLC to put real Nier in but obviously that's a bit of a pipe dream.

I'll still play because the story is amazing and Emi Evans is a goddess of music.

r5xscn and Chary like this.
  9. Silent_Gunner

United States
    PC mods may work...emphasis on may. Is there new story/side content that would make that a non-possibility?

10. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nier Automata was my first entry into the title and im not sure this one looks to be as "Fun" as Nier Automata was. And the story doesn't look connected at all.... But i'll probably get around to it eventually.

11. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    square enix doesn't seem to know what those terms mean, and uses them wrong or loosely frequently, so them saying that tells me very little. but hey, it looks pretty good.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  12. Silent_Gunner

United States
    I'd define it as a remake. It isn't a remaster since it isn't just the OG game, but upscaled to *insert resolution here*, but features new gameplay and maybe new content that the original game, even in Japan, didn't have.

13. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    If that counts as a remake, I shudder to think what counts as a remaster.
    All the models look PS3 quality, most surfaces don't even seem to have normal mapping. It essentially looks like a PS3 game rendered in higher resolution, and with more grass.

And this might just be the youtube compression, but it doesn't even seem to have any level of anisotropic filtering, though that's true of a lot of console games anyway.

Last edited by Edgarska, Feb 13, 2021
  14. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Yeah, its not the best definition, admittedly. I really think remakes nowadays should be something more like Metroid Zero Mission, Yakuza Kiwami 1, or the Crash and Spyro remakes; massive improvements over their originals.

But at the same time, a PS4 Pro's only performance improvements on Yakuza 0 and I assume Kiwami 1 (both of which released on PS3 in Japan alongside the PS4 versions) is the elimination of screen tearing. Like, no truly upscaled textures, filters, or anything dramatic, really. And considering how a lot of the remasters were made only because of the elimination of BC at the start of this console generation in both the PS4 and the Xbox One, it makes the 8th generation of consoles kind of feel like a continuation of the 7th gen; sure, games made specifically for the new hardware definitely couldn't be done on a 360 or PS3, but there were too many games that were cross generation this gen IMHO. Sure, back in the day, you might see Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 be made for the N64, PS1, and PS2, but that was the exception, and not the norm like it was for every big franchise to release their games cross-gen like they did in 2013-2015.

15. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    "Knowing that". Ummm. What exactly did you know? Obviously not the fact that minus some dialog and music tracks, Replicant and Gestalt/NieR are identical.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Feb 13, 2021
    Azael_inf and Silent_Gunner like this.
  16. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    That's more of a problem of publishers not using correct terminology then.
    If it's the exact same game but only rendered at higher resolution/frame rate, then it's just a port.
    Remasters are generally the same game in the same engine but with updated assets and sometimes extra content.
    A remake means "making it again", usually in a newer engine but not necessarily.

So for example, the Gamecube version of Ocarina of Time was a port, the Wii U version of Twilight Princess was a remaster, the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time was a remake.

osaka35 and Silent_Gunner like this.
  17. Asia81

Asia81 GBAtemp Guru

France
    Probably one of the rare games I'll actually pay for

Last edited by Asia81, Feb 13, 2021
  18. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Automata was really fun, but had quite the weird ending, and the boss battle at the end in that pit in the city was frustrating as shit.

19. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    "Real NieR" has this boy. Your preferences doesn't matter. Gestalt was released with changed main character to "please Western audience". Game was originally made with brother in mind.

And my guess is that someone will make a mod for PC bringing father with old voice lines.

Last edited by masagrator, Feb 13, 2021
  20. Silent_Gunner

United States
    "Final Battle" and "pit in the city" do not go together as being the actual final battle.

21. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    But... It was the dude in white... We eventually went to a weird colorless area too

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - soundtrack, remastered, Replicant