'Star Ocean: The Second Story R' gets gameplay trailer and playable demo

star-ocean-jpg.392159

Square Enix has aired an 8-minute gameplay trailer for the upcoming Star Ocean: The Second Story R 2.5D remake:

A 2.5D remake of the 1998 RPG and highly acclaimed second installment in the STAR OCEAN series, STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R combines beautiful 3D environments with nostalgic 2D pixel characters, offering players both a classic RPG and modern gameplay experience. A rearranged soundtrack, new difficulty settings, numerous quality-of-life improvements and more revitalize the original game’s beloved features, like the fast-paced, real-time combat, deep skill system and Private Actions, which allow players to grow relationships with party members and unlock a variety of different endings.

Along with the trailer, Square Enix also released a playable demo that allows players to experience the opening hours of the game which will be part of the final game and will also allow players to carry over their progress from the demo into the main game at launch. Star Ocean: The Second Story R launches on November 2 on PC, Switch, PS4 and PS5.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
star-ocean-jpg.392159

Square Enix has aired an 8-minute gameplay trailer for the upcoming Star Ocean: The Second Story R 2.5D remake:

Along with the trailer, Square Enix also released a playable demo that allows players to experience the opening hours of the game which will be part of the final game and will also allow players to carry over their progress from the demo into the main game at launch. Star Ocean: The Second Story R launches on November 2 on PC, Switch, PS4 and PS5.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

PSP version is perfectly fine on a cheap smartphone with a controller.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I honestly don't understajnd why they keep remaking random games in 2.5 hd but not chrono trigger ??? when they know its wildly beloved and will sell like hot cakes !!!
While I get your point, shhhhhhhh..... we spent years crying for a Secret of Mana remake and look what happened there...
Also, this was a Great game anyway - best in the series by far in my opinion, so I'm looking forward to it!

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
How can I not buy the best Star Ocean game's 2D-HD remake on day one?
Shame on you, Square Enix. You won my money again.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a couple tests with the demo. If you use FPSLocker to set your cap at 60, set the RAM to 1600mhz minimum and boost the GPU to 460mhz, the game actually reaches between 50 to 60 frames in handheld mode. Not a perfect lock, but I definitely feel like Square (or a mod) could do something to squeeze a bit more out of the Switch and get a solid 60 in the near future. This has me choosing the Switch version over my Steam Deck (for that OLED screen and better battery).

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Bought it on steam already. Demo blew me away and kudos on gemdrop for going all out and adding a lot of new stuffs in the remake. The revamp battle mechanics is also really fun and they made mages now more useful. Can't wait for nov.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was worried there would be load times. Not the case. Dunno how I feel about removal of random encounters though. World map seems much larger but there is fast travel.

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to be the greatest remake Square(soft) (before the merge of ENIX) (yes I know enix made it originally) (its gotta be squaresoft folks remaking it right?!?) :toot: , has ever attempted to make, and hopefully succeeds. The other 8 min gameplay video has me so hyped to grind for a damn glove. lol

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Did a couple tests with the demo. If you use FPSLocker to set your cap at 60, set the RAM to 1600mhz minimum and boost the GPU to 460mhz, the game actually reaches between 50 to 60 frames in handheld mode. Not a perfect lock, but I definitely feel like Square (or a mod) could do something to squeeze a bit more out of the Switch and get a solid 60 in the near future. This has me choosing the Switch version over my Steam Deck (for that OLED screen and better battery).
They won't. Literally takes months to do stuff like this.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh no, another RPG for my backlog.........but please SquareEnix, keep making Star Ocean remakes please. This series needs the love..........(that and xenosaga but thats from a different company)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting this on Switch for sure, but I might get it for my PS4 Pro too, as it's last final "Hurrah!" for the system.

(I originally bought my PS4 Pro for the FF7 remake, before Sony pulled a dick move and moved it to PS5...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto