Hacking New GeeXbox released

ChimneyBug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I presume 0.1alpha3 is the current version. I moved from 0.1alpha0 to 3 and feels like a downgrade as ogm locks it up now
frown.gif

JimmyBobAlex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
20081001: 0.1alpha3. Bugfix release.
Implementation of optional 'vsync' to improve screen tearing in certain cases
Support for on-the-fly aspect ratio change
Fixed DVD-VIDEO aspect ratio error when switching between menu and movie
Disabling libass to fix lagging and freezing caused by text subtitles
Disabling colored spu to fix DVD-VIDEO/vobsub subtitile display
Support for vobsub subtitles in rar archive format
Support for optionally lowering subtitles into blackbars
Fixed subtitle charset conversion
Update to MPlayer r27630
Seems like some noteworthy changes. The screen tearing always bothered me and changing the aspect ratio is nice. Time to try it out.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GeeXboX

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I see that name, I always think "What the, have they created a Xbox emulator for the Wii!?!?!" before I remember what it actually is.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
djdynamite123 said:
Dam good release must admit, wiimote syned without haveing to press 1 or 2, various fixes, shame it cant be made into a channel, people have tried it just crashes i believe. oh well a good app that cant be made into a channel as of yet.

Too bad version 0.1alpha3 still can't be made into a channel. Is this confirmed for the new version?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
(making GeeXbox as a Wad Channel).

hi, just to let you kno i tried but FAILED, DAMDAMDAM
its the same cant be done,
i converted .elf to .dol with doltool3
and obviously injected the dol to a channel

No look, soon as you click it Big CODE DUMP ERROR

ohwell hope it can be done soon.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
I also tried that! doltool3 convert but it wont load the dol in the homebrew channel i tested it before bothering with injectawad to no avail..if someone could actually COMPILE THE CODE IN DOL FORMAT i think that it would be easy enough from that point to inject the channel but for those who are saying WTF please keep this in mind

Injectawad v3 ONLY INJECTS DOL TO WAD it however cannot inject ELF to WAD (or from what i have used of it i dont think that it can correct me if i am wrong) though if it COULD convert elf to DOL on the fly then convert said result to wad that would be a feature worth having in Injectawad like a Merger of the DOLTOOL and INJECTAWAD into one usefull application
wink.gif
with a GUI like injectawads
tongue.gif
just a thought

so in short without a DOL file that WORKS in the homebrew channel of GeeXbox we cannot Inject a ELF to a WAD
wink.gif

IF someone manages to compile a working DOL file for Geexbox i think i can convert it to a wad as can ANYONE with experience using injectawad
wink.gif
but as is CBT's point is that a elf cant be converted to a wad file yet
frown.gif

that being said i dont understand why Linux apps cannot be a channel SO LONG AS THE FILES ARE PRESEANT ON YOUR SD IT SHOULD WORK!??! huh? or could he mean a linux app cannot be ran as a DOL? maybe?

BTW the ELF file i converted to dol was
with GeeXboX 0.1 alpha 4 version

boot.elf 2,338 kb original with 0.1 alpha 4 version packaged (the newest as of this post)

the resulting file after running doltool: (to do this put the elf in the same folder as the doltool.exe then go to your Strart menu and click RUN...type CMD and hit enter....in the CMD window type: "cd (the name of the directory the exe and elf file are in)
hit enter...now type: "doltool.exe -d boot.elf" this being invoked prompted a screen that says "Converted Elf to DOL successfully" sure enough a boot.dol file will appear in that directory but did it convert properly is the question?

Boot.dol 2,270 kb (did we loose something in the conversion?)

i then test this DOL file and the homebrew channel says error " This is not a valid Wii application" it cannot load it
frown.gif
seems the conversion itself goes bad could we need a DOLTOOL update maybe? So short of re-compiling the whole thing in DOL format we will need a update for elf to dol conversionBecause as you can see we cant bother thinking about injecting a dol untill we find one that actually works!
ohmy.gif

maybe if someone contacted the author of the app it would clear some things up?

QUOTE said:
oO So what can this tool do for me? Oo

since the dol file format is a custom format for the gamecube,
there dont exist any tools for manipulating them.
this tool can give you information on a dol file, as well as
being able to convert between the dol format and other more
common formats. this tool can do the following conversions:

elf -> dol
dol -> elf
bin -> dol
dol -> bin

oO Source code Oo

the source code to this tool has been included due to requests
from ppl in the scene who wish to either port this tool or see
how it works, or improve it
smile.gif

i initially had high hopes on making the source code easy to read
and not too messy, however as time got short (things like work
getting in the way) the code started getting messier and more
hacked together
ohmy.gif
/ oh well. hopefully u can understand my code
enough to make use of it. the DolFile class should be ok due to
its simplicity, but the ElfFile class was a bit more complicated
(and i was running out of time when i started on it
tongue.gif
) so take care
when using it hehe

oO Contact info Oo

loser
email: [email protected]
www: www.internalreality.com

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don´t need to test it .. geexbox uses a filesystem image which is in a file on your sdcard it will never install on the wii....

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
so what quake uses a ide folder thats required to be on your sd card and it works as a channel....i still dont understand why if the file iis present on the sd card it could'nt be done? and that does not explain why it cant be converted to DOL with dol tool either
ohmy.gif

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
Bah whenever i change the aspect ratio to 4:3 it goes into the right shape but its waaay to small, does anyone know how to fix this?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
I also tried that! doltool3 convert but it wont load the dol in the homebrew channel i tested it before bothering with injectawad to no avail..if someone could actually COMPILE THE CODE IN DOL FORMAT i think that it would be easy enough from that point to inject the channel but for those who are saying WTF please keep this in mind

You do know that you can make channels with EITHER .DOL or .ELF, it makes absoultly no difference as the Wii can read both formats.

Just unpack the wad, delete the 001.app, rename your .DOL or .ELF to 001.app, and repack.

That will work for all homebrew wads.

The only reason for doltool was to convert Gamecube Homebrew so that it can be used on the Wii.

Most of the gamecube homebrew has been moved to the Wii, so doltool is no longer needed.

The only reason why you cant launch GeeXboX directly from the system menu is because it is running linux code which only the Homebrew Channel supports.

GeeXboX uses WiiLinux to run. So if you want GeeXboX to work from wad installations, go complain to the people responsible for WiiLinux.

P.S.

GeeXboX is an unofficial release/hack, so the majority of the developers responsible wont care about any issues regarding it.

benjust to be clear, wii-geexbox is an unsupported hack

http://www.geexbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php...e21f00d674806a5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here