Hacking New EZ-Vi customer

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just purchased a new EZ-Vi from Price Angels, and I'm a little confused on preparing for it. I know I need a Micro SD (SDHC preferred, right?), and the one I'm looking at is a PNY 8Gb from Wal-mart. I also have read that before running the card I need to have the right firmware and kernal on it (right?) or it could brick. Here's where my main questions start. My wife has a DSi (1.4U) and I have a DSi XL (1.4U) and my mother has just a DSLite. For these three systems, will the latest firmware and kernal be sufficient? What should my EXACT file listing be when the card is first started? (Using a MicroSD just for this and nothing else, so it will be formatted before hand.) I do know that I need at least one game on it at startup.

Also, finding the files from the EZ-Flash Vi starter Wiki was a little confusing. Is there and easier source to navigate?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Okie dokie so....

First off, there's no preference to MicroSD or MicroSDHC. Basically MicroSD refers to cards that are 2GB or smaller, while MicroSDHC is the name for cards that are 4GB or higher (SD High Capacity). So it is really up to you what size you choose.

Okay, that makes sense. I read somewhere that HCs were preferred for speed, but I guess that's its just file space.
happy.gif

QUOTE said:
The latest firmware and kernel will be sufficient to run on all 3, but you aren't really planning to share 1 cart between the three of you are you?

Mostly between my wife and myself. The only reason I mentioned my Mother's DS is because of that flashing thing, and I heard it had to be done on older models.

QUOTE said:
This is a good thread that will give you the files you need: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16569 It's true though that the files for the EZ Flash V are seemingly dispersed through the internet and doesn't seem to be too easy to find though.
frown.gif

Lastly I wish I could tell you the file structure, but I don't actually have my EZ Flash V with me. But more or less it should be a folder called EZShell or something (varies from version to version), a bin file (I believe there is one for the Vi and the V, so you have to pick), and your games can go wherever. I don't think you need to flash the firmware if you are buying it new, it should be preflashed unless price angels has a very very old stock, but just in case, download the firmware update that should be a single .nds file and run it if you want.

All good info and I'll be sure to check around. Once my card actually comes in I'll be sure to follow up with my success/failure (hopefully not the latter).
EDIT: Okay, so I went to that link, found the file download, and downloaded it. If I extract the file AS IS to the ROOT of my card, will I be okay? (After adding a NDS file?)

EDIT: Also if you ever need help with the EZ Flash, you are probably better off on that forum. The EZ Flash is sort of largely neglected here in favor of the AceKard, so most of the help here comes from FAST and mbmax, who are users on both forums.

Guess I'll start looking into the AceKard too. Is it easier? If its good, my wife can keep the EZ-Vi.
happy.gif
Thanks for all the info. It made me feel less overwhelmed by all this.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naved.islam14 said:
I don't think you should get it it has low rom compatibility

Well, there's three problems with this statement:

1) I already ordered it, as stated in my first post.

2) I read the review ON THIS VERY WEBSITE, and I trust GBATemp's reviews. They are detailed and very thorough. In that topic you posted in, you said you read something on Romu******. Firstly, mentioning a rom site is against the rules. LINKING to it is worse, and quoting one that, I've found anyway, is VERY unreliable with their information and downloads makes your statement as firm as a paper bridge in a rain storm.

3) If we want to be technical, your post is off topic because I was asking about setting one up, not whether or not I should get one.

Now, back to the big boy talk.

I do have a couple of new questions. Using this card, can the DS-to-DS Wireless linking be used? (As in multiplayer, like Pokemon battling or trading) And does it work with DS-to-Wii stuff? (Like unlocking the features in Castlevania Order of Eclesia/Judgement.)

DJ Hobo

Trophies
XP
Country
MarcusRaven said:
naved.islam14 said:
I don't think you should get it it has low rom compatibility

Well, there's three problems with this statement:

1) I already ordered it, as stated in my first post.

2) I read the review ON THIS VERY WEBSITE, and I trust GBATemp's reviews. They are detailed and very thorough. In that topic you posted in, you said you read something on Romu******. Firstly, mentioning a rom site is against the rules. LINKING to it is worse, and quoting one that, I've found anyway, is VERY unreliable with their information and downloads makes your statement as firm as a paper bridge in a rain storm.

3) If we want to be technical, your post is off topic because I was asking about setting one up, not whether or not I should get one.

rofl.gif
I love this guy. Anyways...

QUOTE(MarcusRaven @ Aug 28 2010, 07:21 AM)
I do have a couple of new questions. Using this card, can the DS-to-DS Wireless linking be used? (As in multiplayer, like Pokemon battling or trading) And does it work with DS-to-Wii stuff? (Like unlocking the features in Castlevania Order of Eclesia/Judgement.)

DS multiplayer definitely works. I've yet to actually have any issue with it. Just for your information, Wi-fi multiplayer also works.

DS-to-Wii connectivity, on the other hand, doesn't work. Carts that do have this feature are a minority, I think.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, no big loss then. Thought it would be nice to have Shanoa in Judgement, but oh well. At least the wife and I can play multiplayer stuff. (Thinking of getting a second one after playing around with this one a bit.)

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to let everybody know that I got mine (arrived at the door just shortly after the last post) and it is working perfectly. I updated to the 101 firmware, but I know the kernal updated. I couldn't find the latest download for it, so any help there?

DJ Hobo

Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
DJ Hobo said:
DS-to-Wii connectivity, on the other hand, doesn't work. Carts that do have this feature are a minority, I think.

I don't believe that is entirely true. I think some games work and some don't. I remember the EZ Flash V was reported somewhat working with Pokemon Battle Revolution when this whole DS-Wii fiasco started. Some users were able to connect, while others didn't. Not sure how that ended up though.

Supposedly, some people were having success using 1.9 OB. I never had any luck with it, unfortunately
sad.gif
. No big deal, though. I only wanted it for Battle Revolution.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, now that I got mine up and running, I LOVE IT! The only issue I've found is that Wario Ware DIY takes forever to save, but after looking at the size of the save file, I see why.

But now I want into Homebrew too. How do I get SCUMMVM and SNEmulDS to work on here? (I'm using this on a DSi XL, if that's an issue.)

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't mean to be double posting all the time, but I just decided to test Castlevania: OoE to Judgement for my own "research." It worked perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I'm level one in OoE with the Queen of Hearts equipped.
happy.gif
Just thought I'd let you guys know that it seems to work. Here's my setup:

Wii stats are in sig.
EZ-Vi H[805] F[101] k3.0 OB2

So, is this feature fixed as a whole or am I just lucky? What other games connect DS to Wii?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
You aren't all that far yet.
tongue.gif

Just downloaded the game this morning, but I used to own it. (Before I hacked my Wii. Never owned Judgment.) I've had it perfected before (minus the Judgment content). I just can't get enough of the 2d Castlevanias.
happy.gif

DJ Hobo

Trophies
XP
Country
MarcusRaven said:
I really don't mean to be double posting all the time, but I just decided to test Castlevania: OoE to Judgement for my own "research." It worked perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I'm level one in OoE with the Queen of Hearts equipped.
happy.gif
Just thought I'd let you guys know that it seems to work. Here's my setup:

Wii stats are in sig.
EZ-Vi H[805] F[101] k3.0 OB2

So, is this feature fixed as a whole or am I just lucky? What other games connect DS to Wii?

Interesting.. I may have to try it again sometime.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MarcusRaven said:
Okay, now that I got mine up and running, I LOVE IT! The only issue I've found is that Wario Ware DIY takes forever to save, but after looking at the size of the save file, I see why.
Yep. But since kernel 3.0ob2 and firmware v101, the kernel use the new CRC calculation.
The 32MB file is created quickly now.
wink.gif

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I figured out how to get SNEmulDS to work. Little disappointed that Donkey Kong Country 3 isn't perfect, but oh well.

Is it possible to get SCUMMVM to work? How do I go about doing that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs. +1