Hardware New DDR3 ram not working

naxzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought a new ram kit, it's a 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz PC3-10600 DIMM by a company called A-TECH. It was brand new off of ebay for about $30, and for that price I just couldn't resist.
152252856422119182178.jpg

In the picture I have the 2 new sticks (top) and my original stick (bottom).

My problem with these is that when I install them to my pc, the pc doesn't start, it doesn't even recognize it as being RAM (error codes and beeps). I've checked the A-Tech site, and the Centon site to compare the RAM, and they seem to be the exact same thing, yet they just don't work. Using just the original Centon stick always works though.

So far I've: Tested every DIMM slot, tried every stick 1 by 1, checked the BIOS menu for errors, and checked for compatibility.

The computer I'm trying to install these onto is a Dell Optiplex 790 Small Form Factor. And because I always see one, the answer I'm looking for is NOT "that's what you get for buying such a crappy computer"

Any help would be appreciated (unless you came just to insult my computer)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1,5 V... any chance your computer takes DDR3L (1,35 V) only? (though I wouldn't expect that from a desktop)

Oh, and it's registered (equivalent of the old "with parity", essentially) - same comment applies, with most northbridges supporting it but using it as if it were cheaper unregistered memory - though exceptions likely exist

Last edited by Ryccardo,

naxzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1,5 V... any chance your computer takes DDR3L (1,35 V) only? (though I wouldn't expect that from a desktop)

Oh, and it's registered (equivalent of the old "with parity", essentially) - same comment applies, with most northbridges supporting it but using it as if it were cheaper unregistered memory - though exceptions likely exist
Yeah, they're both 1.5v so there aren't any problems there. And I forgot to add the links to the post so here they are (if they can be of any help)
Old RAM:
http://www.centon.com/memory/cmp/122-CMP1333PC4096.01
New RAM
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/221798234930

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Hayato213,

naxzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can't use Register RAM on desktop platform

Wow I completely skimmed over looking to see if it was ECC and Server Memory. Guess it's lesson learned. I really didn't want to spend $80 for just one stick of 4GB for dual channeling, but it seems it might be the better option. Thank you so much for the responses!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I completely skimmed over looking to see if it was ECC and Server Memory. Guess it's lesson learned. I really didn't want to spend $80 for just one stick of 4GB for dual channeling, but it seems it might be the better option. Thank you so much for the responses!

4GB DDR3 doesn't cost that much, I do suggest buying somewhere from like Crucial, a lot of bad ram if you buy from reseller, in your case you can open a case on eBay and claim the item isn't new and return it.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

naxzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4GB DDR3 doesn't cost that much, I do suggest buying somewhere from like Crucial, a lot of bad ram if you buy from reseller, in your case you can open a case on eBay and claim the item isn't new and return it.
I'll look into buying the RAM somewhere else, Crucial didn't have any that were DDR3 PC3-10600 UDIMM and Non-ECC. I'm starting to hate how specific the RAM type has to be now lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==