Hardware new 3dsxl won't turn on

Dzimge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hi guys! Bought a used new 3ds xl with a broken top screen. Thought of it as an easy repair.
It didn't turn on when I received it. Had no charging cable to test it at that point.
When the screen and cable arrived I started disassembly and found out that the battery is bloated. Tried to power it on with a cable without a battery - no luck. No response, no LED lights, nothing
One thing I've noticed - the chip near the charging port is getting hot. Wasn't able to find any shorts near it (if it matters)
Hd3d1e0167f16470ea4ece22efa05b9387.jpg
Is there anything that can be done? Or should I start thinking about buying a new motherboard?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm assuming you have some experience on electronic repair, so my advice is to use some IPA on the area you identified its getting hot to help isolate the faulty component/s. That way you might only need to buy that component and replace it to get it working again, instead of buying a complete motherboard. But anyway if you're able to find one that doesn't work, you can use it for spares.

Greetings from México all the way up to Ukraine (love your culture!)

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: Dzimge
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2DS/3DS systems won't turn on without a [working] inserted battery. Plugging in only the AC charger isn't enough. Putting back a fully dead battery that doesn't take a charge also won't work.

Before you mistakenly tinker and break that n3DSXL motherboard, see my signature for replacement battery options.

Reactions: Dzimge

Dzimge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hey guys! Thank you so much for your help!
The problem was in the battery AND charging cable. with a new battery and adaptor, everything works again.
Although, after top screen replacement I have 3d and volume always on. plastic pieces do align with the potentiometers but move with no effect. Saw somewhere on ifixit that it may be due to the ribbon cables plugged in the wrong side. is it possible? which of those exactly could it be?
Or should I consider buying a new speaker flex cable assembly?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 112

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/8wi6dnzLcZ0?si=5zWGTK0CMXO3DJcb +1