New 3DS XL Replacement Parts

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by boomie0123, Feb 17, 2015.

1. boomie0123
    OP

boomie0123 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    I was doing a motherboard swap on two consoles, and everything was going fine until I was putting together the 2nd console. Through the process of putting it back together, I lost the SELECT button. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for it? Also, getting the little screw covers for the top screen would be awesome too.
    3dsXL.jpg

2. R1ckx

R1ckx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015
    Netherlands
    As far as I know, there aren't even a lot of replacement parts for the original (smaller) 3DS. However, parts from the ds LITE may fit... not sure trough. (I've searched on miniinthebox, and they haven't even got shell replacements for the 3DS, only screens and charging ports.) If you'd want to find replacement parts, I'm pretty sure there's no other way than to buy a full shell trough..

Could you measure the diameter of the start/select button and maybe take a picture of it loose/provide one so I can compare it to the ones I got, or maybe I can find something. ;) Also the size of the rubber pads would be nice.

EDIT:
    By the way: A nice way to find parts on the floor is to put a piece of cloth around a vacuum cleaner with a rubber band and vacuum the floor (Search youtube or google for more info..)
    Good luck!

3. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Isn't it a little bit too early to be looking into replacement parts??? The console has been out WW only a couple of days (however, these buttons look almost like dsi start/select buttons so if you got one try it out)

4. w0dash

w0dash noob

May 29, 2012
    Gambia, The
    I can't understand how you can destroy a console just to swap the housing. :)

If it was as easy as on the PSP, then okay, but I for myself would never try it on a completely new 3DS... :ph34r:

5. boomie0123
    OP

Mar 11, 2010
    United States

They're about 1cm by 1cm little square that are used for the buttons. Here's what they look like https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

I saw the ones from my DS Lite and they're waaaaay too small to use in an XL. :(

Also, I did the whole job while I was at work, and since they vacuum nightly, I'm pretty sure it's just gone now. I managed to find the Start button under the counter the next day, but the Select is no where to be found.

Not destroy, just lost a part haha. I was swapping the housing to get the Smash Bros New 3DS XL into a US version console. All about those aesthetics.

6. w0dash

w0dash noob

May 29, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Ok, of course I like the special editions aswell, but I think the unit is never as good as new after you reassembled it. You have to be very lucky / skilled to put it together perfectly. I am sure, I could notice if a 3DS was already taken apart if I took it in hand. ;)

7. R1ckx

R1ckx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015
    Netherlands
    1x1Cm for a select button?! That's bigger than the ABXY buttons on my 3dsxl..... (0.6)

8. illicit

illicit GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2010
    United States
    you didnt even need to take all those things apart to do a simple mobo swap

9. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    Maybe try 2DS buttons?

10. nine0nine

nine0nine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2006
    Albania
    Maybe you can find someone with a 3D printer to make one.

Invest in an ice cube tray, essential for jobs like this

elmoemo and boomie0123 like this.
  11. boomie0123
    OP

Mar 11, 2010
    United States

I know, I was just curious as to what the rest looked like since I already had it opened.

Oh whoa. They look pretty much the same! I'll figure out the exact size of the buttons, and go from there. Thanks for that idea man!

12. R1ckx

R1ckx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2015
    Netherlands
    You can also make a mold of the start button, and then create two casts (so the difference isn't that noticable)

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Carve one out of a rubber....quality craftsmanship

eggsample likes this.
  14. pivix

pivix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Poland
    Maybe you should have try to by dsi xl, probably they are having same buttons