Hardware New 3DS XL Replacement Parts

boomie0123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was doing a motherboard swap on two consoles, and everything was going fine until I was putting together the 2nd console. Through the process of putting it back together, I lost the SELECT button. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for it? Also, getting the little screw covers for the top screen would be awesome too.
3dsXL.jpg

R1ckx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know, there aren't even a lot of replacement parts for the original (smaller) 3DS. However, parts from the ds LITE may fit... not sure trough. (I've searched on miniinthebox, and they haven't even got shell replacements for the 3DS, only screens and charging ports.) If you'd want to find replacement parts, I'm pretty sure there's no other way than to buy a full shell trough..

Could you measure the diameter of the start/select button and maybe take a picture of it loose/provide one so I can compare it to the ones I got, or maybe I can find something. ;) Also the size of the rubber pads would be nice.

EDIT:
By the way: A nice way to find parts on the floor is to put a piece of cloth around a vacuum cleaner with a rubber band and vacuum the floor (Search youtube or google for more info..)
Good luck!

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Isn't it a little bit too early to be looking into replacement parts??? The console has been out WW only a couple of days (however, these buttons look almost like dsi start/select buttons so if you got one try it out)

w0dash

noob
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can't understand how you can destroy a console just to swap the housing. :)

If it was as easy as on the PSP, then okay, but I for myself would never try it on a completely new 3DS... :ph34r:

boomie0123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you measure the diameter of the start/select button and maybe take a picture of it loose/provide one so I can compare it to the ones I got, or maybe I can find something. ;) Also the size of the rubber pads would be nice.

EDIT:
By the way: A nice way to find parts on the floor is to put a piece of cloth around a vacuum cleaner with a rubber band and vacuum the floor (Search youtube or google for more info..)
Good luck!

They're about 1cm by 1cm little square that are used for the buttons. Here's what they look like https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

I saw the ones from my DS Lite and they're waaaaay too small to use in an XL. :(

Also, I did the whole job while I was at work, and since they vacuum nightly, I'm pretty sure it's just gone now. I managed to find the Start button under the counter the next day, but the Select is no where to be found.

I can't understand how you can destroy a console just to swap the housing. :)

If it was as easy as on the PSP, then okay, but I for myself would never try it on a completely new 3DS... :ph34r:

Not destroy, just lost a part haha. I was swapping the housing to get the Smash Bros New 3DS XL into a US version console. All about those aesthetics.

w0dash

noob
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not destroy, just lost a part haha. I was swapping the housing to get the Smash Bros New 3DS XL into a US version console. All about those aesthetics.

Ok, of course I like the special editions aswell, but I think the unit is never as good as new after you reassembled it. You have to be very lucky / skilled to put it together perfectly. I am sure, I could notice if a 3DS was already taken apart if I took it in hand. ;)

boomie0123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you didnt even need to take all those things apart to do a simple mobo swap

I know, I was just curious as to what the rest looked like since I already had it opened.

Maybe try 2DS buttons?

Oh whoa. They look pretty much the same! I'll figure out the exact size of the buttons, and go from there. Thanks for that idea man!

R1ckx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can also make a mold of the start button, and then create two casts (so the difference isn't that noticable)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs