Hacking New 3DS system update 7.2.0-17

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Agree because whenever they have hinted at things then they usually surprise us with something big. I mean they just put out something to allow us to play our own dumped ROMs online and many people are like eh whatever........

How about RTS that is not save encryption specific.....now that would rock as you could make an RTS snapshot, send it to someone using a different dump, they can load that snapshot and then save the game into their own encrypted save file....something like that would be a whole new level of support and it would instantly solve a lot of the save game transfer problems we are having.
that actually sounds like a good solid idea, doesn't solve the 6.x encryption, but it would allow save sharing, loading .3ds format saves to convert to .3dz, possible even cheating in games assuming the ram dump is not encrypted :P

hmmm it depends on if the cartID would be loaded into the ram in which case when you save it would make a save for their cart, hopefully it would just called when you pick save so it would use your own instead and then the save made is for your cartID

anyways who knows but it does sound like a nice feature to have and sounds somewhat plausible as the game is suspended when you press home anyway so they could just dump/restore the ram when in suspend mode to prevent any issues

t-master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that actually sounds like a good solid idea, doesn't solve the 6.x encryption, but it would allow save sharing, loading .3ds format saves to convert to .3dz, possible even cheating in games assuming the ram dump is not encrypted :P

hmmm it depends on if the cartID would be loaded into the ram in which case when you save it would make a save for their cart, hopefully it would just called when you pick save so it would use your own instead and then the save made is for your cartID

anyways who knows but it does sound like a nice feature to have and sounds somewhat plausible as the game is suspended when you press home anyway so they could just dump/restore the ram when in suspend mode to prevent any issues

nvm

andremario6981

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i Gold RTS 3ds confirmed working over here for me too. I updated to 7.2.0-17U the last letter you should know that's my region i'm in. Everything still works though I agree with @Vegenceonu and others Gateway obviously is their new enemy. It's most likely because The gateway 3ds has the ability to back up current roms...which is frowned upon given the financial circumstances for unnamed party. Hell all eyes on gateway is fine by me..they're too expensive anyway.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
if nintendo really wanted to block gateway out (at least until gateway make more progress etc), surely they could have done a check or something if the new encryption can be used in the main 3ds menu, since the settings, shop etc now don't work due to a new sdk or something right, and so i'm sure if nintendo wanted they could have done it.
we can hardly say they are attacking gateway.

it's not like nintendo locked gateway out of the settings on 7.2 on purpose, it makes no difference, it's just nintendo updating the firmware, which gateway cannot decrypt yet.
just because gateway cannot decrypt the stuff to access setting and eshop does not mean that nintendo are attacking them or doing anything on purpose in regards to gateway

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if nintendo really wanted to block gateway out (at least until gateway make more progress etc), surely they could have done a check or something if the new encryption can be used in the main 3ds menu, since the settings, shop etc now don't work due to a new sdk or something right, and so i'm sure if nintendo wanted they could have done it.
we can hardly say they are attacking gateway.

I'm not saying they are strictly after Gateway only, I'm saying that DS mode flashcarts is no longer as important to them in the long run. Ever since DS online service shut down, there's really no point in fighting them. The last 5 updates (yes i know 3 of them were eshop updates) havent stopped DS mode carts. They are more worried about 3DS mode/Homebrew now as they keep updating encryptions, sigs and all that good stuff.... Sorry i mean "system stability".

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'm not saying they are strictly after Gateway only, I'm saying that DS mode flashcarts is no longer as important to them in the long run.
oh sure, i agree with you! i wonder how they would go about 100% fixing ds mode flash carts though...
but sure, i would like to think the nintendo team is too busy with other things than to bother patching ds flashcards all up :)

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
R4i Gold RTS 3ds confirmed working over here for me too. I updated to 7.2.0-17U the last letter you should know that's my region i'm in. Everything still works though I agree with @Vegenceonu and others Gateway obviously is their new enemy. It's most likely because The gateway 3ds has the ability to back up current roms...which is frowned upon given the financial circumstances for unnamed party. Hell all eyes on gateway is fine by me..they're too expensive anyway.

Yes 80 dollars for a device that let's u play every 3ds game out right now and 3ds games on average cost about 40 dollars so the gateway pays for itself for 2 3ds games yeah expensive *sarcasm*

sinx4lyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have my gateway yet but people are reporting problems with system settings... does that mean there gateway doesn't work? (trying to get into gateway to play backups?)

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have my gateway yet but people are reporting problems with system settings... does that mean there gateway doesn't work? (trying to get into gateway to play backups?)
It only doesn't work if you update your emuNAND to 7.2 (the newest firmware.) Gateway is working on compatibility. Gateway itself still works.

sinx4lyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It only doesn't work if you update your emuNAND to 7.2 (the newest firmware.) Gateway is working on compatibility. Gateway itself still works.

Still new to this emunand thing so basically emunand 7.2 firmware thing is triggered by going to systems settings and into gateway. (if you updated your emunand to it) So if you HARD reset your 3ds its fine to load gateway again, just not launching the emunand part to create that freeze.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
and just to clarify its only system settings in emunand that doesn't work, the normal system settings used to launch gateway mode works fine.....you never update past 4.5 so it should always be fine unless you mess up and update your system nand

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still new to this emunand thing so basically emunand 7.2 firmware thing is triggered by going to systems settings and into gateway. (if you updated your emunand to it) So if you HARD reset your 3ds its fine to load gateway again, just not launching the emunand part to create that freeze.
Well, you have to create an emuNAND partition first as it's not automatically created (there is an option to do so in the Gateway menu.) If you do create it, emuNAND is what is automatically launched when you go to the DS profile to trigger the exploit. You technically don't need to go into system settings while in emuNAND. It is important to note however that the eShop freezes on this new Nintendo firmware so you will not be able to access it until Gateway fixes the compatibility issue.

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all this clarified, did the people, including I, pretty much brick our 3ds by updating to 7.2? Or is it a small bug that can be easily fixed?

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• bc9f21910aff4ba35c5dbf90d73b7c44.jpg
    bc9f21910aff4ba35c5dbf90d73b7c44.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 228

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...