Hardware New 3DS not detecting Amiibos

Shuttleu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I seem to have a bit of an issue with my New 3DS, in that it doesn't seem to be detecting any Amiibos.

Ive had this console from launch and it has been through several different hacks. Its been through OoT3DHax, NinjHax, A9LH and now B9S. So its had its nand copied, written back and forth a few times, its been downgraded and upgraded.

Its been opened up before for backing up the nand back when A9LH was released as a precaution in case anything went wrong (luckily it didn't).

I've never actually tried using Amiibos on this console until today, and to my surprise it didn't detect the Amiibo at all. It just refuses to even acknowledge anything is even there.

I've opened the console up and checked the NFC antenna, but I can't see anything out of place and it's all connected perfectly fine. I cant see any damage to the board, so I'm wondering if one of the system titles may have gotten damaged in all the downgrading and upgrading I've done?

Shuttleu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It says "Updating System" for 2 seconds, says the system is up to date and then restarts. No change in scanning Amiibos

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
If the systems been opened theres a good chance the NFC readers small FFC connector has had the pins bent, and now isn't making proper contact with the NFC readers ribbon cable.

Its usually caused by someone trying to open the 'latches' on the ZIF connector, but not realising that the "new" 3DS models use a new type of connector that you must not try and lift the latches on, since it will actually bend the pins and prevent proper contact with the ribbon cable:-
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/206/MB-0255-1E_FA10-315794.pdf
This is actually really irritating because Nintendo only used 4 of the new type of connector on the "new" 3DS motherboards, and all the other connectors are still the old type with a plastic latch so its easy to make the mistake :hateit:

There was a possible fix posted on gbatemp by @atkfromabove here:-
https://gbatemp.net/threads/repair-new-3ds-home-button.390507/
But unfortunately all the pictures are gone now thanks to photobucket :(

Basically you disconnect the FFC, and then using a needle you carefully bend the pins back down towards the motherboard by applying a small amount of pressure on them through the small square holes in the plastic top. Its quite difficult/risky to do, but other than that your only other option would be to solder in a new connector :(

Last edited by Razor83,
Reactions: Shuttleu

Shuttleu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm the only person that has been inside this console and I don't recall ever lifting any of the connectors. In fact I distinctly remember refraining from doing so because of reading about other people doing that.

Despite the fact I hadn't lifted them I had tried pushing it down before but to no avail, however this time holding it down does seem to make it work.

Pushing down with a bit of force without the ribbon cable inside seems to have done the trick though.

Reactions: Razor83

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*