Hardware New 3DS Home Button Broken

Tonzz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, not sure if this is the right area to ask a question like this, if not please inform me.

I'm currently in a bit of a situation with my new 3ds home button, the connector and pads have been ripped off by previous owner. I've thought of 2 possible ways to fix this, the first being soldering to a different point on the motherboard and the other being something on my 3ds that uses button combos like select and left d-pad to simulate a home button press. i have looked alot for a solution somehwere but have had no luck, so if anyone here can give me any information that could help me then it would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a New 3DS with Sys 11.10.0-43E im guessing there is a more updated version at this point since i havent updated in a while but ill probably update withing the next day or 2 if there is any.

Thanks in advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The pads where i would put it are ripped off (the two that arent ground anyway)
Take a look at the n3DSXL motherboard's (POWER) (HOME) connector in step 14.
If this is anything like on the n3DS, the three (3) leads on the right looks to share a common node.

n3DSXL_power_button_nodes.png

Are you familiar with the scratch and probe technique when looking for any leftover copper traces that might have survived the damage? Post a picture of the lifted copper pad so we can assess the severity.

Edit - Meant to say (HOME), not (POWER).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Tonzz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the image ive sent youll be able to see that the top pad is completly gone and there is a bit left on the bottom one ive tried to solder it a few times but its too small for me to solder. The mic will be easy for me to solder to as ive done it before but removed it in case i damaged anything while i was messing with the home button.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i was looking at the capacitors(i think they are capacitors anyway) in the picture of the n3ds xl and i recognized them, if youll look at the photo connected youll see something similar. Turns out a continuity test confirms that its connected of anything inside the red box. Now i could solder to this but these capacitors are tiny and i dont know if i might knock them out of place.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 427
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    202.5 KB · Views: 409
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

OrangeJoe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: ive managed to solder to it and its now working well thanks for the help.
I'm doing the same repair now. Did you solder the wire to both pads in the red box, or just one?

I'm actually on attempt 2 of this repair. I lifted the lower capacitor in the red box last time I tried, and had to order a broken new 3ds to cannibalize for parts. Do you have any advice for soldering to such tiny pads?

Swor164

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Pregunta de que parte de los condensadores lo soldastes podrias agregar una imagen como quedó tu trabajo por favor me ayudaria mucho

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ask what part of the capacitors you soldered, could you add an image as your work was, please, it would help me a lot

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh