New: 1082 - Jet Grind Radio (U)

mikochu

Trophies
Website
www.mikochu.com
XP
Country
United States
I've played a few levels while waiting between classes. It's pretty fun, but the controls take time to get used to. There is one problem I've stumbled upon. I have a EZF Advance 256mb flash cart, and during the "Monster of Kogane" level, it locked up twice. The first time happened at the beginning. I stepped up the stairs to get the 3 spray cans, then I grinded up the right railing...LOCKUP. Reset the SP and went to the level again. I did the same thing, and grinded up the right again, and it was fine. I went around the level, then fell off and it reset it to the beginning. I stepped up the stairs to get the spray cans, then grinded on the left rail and LOCKUP.

Anyone else have the same problem?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The game is pretty good (and yes I'm one of those suckers who got the dreamcast version) but the controld are horrible to be truely honest. It's great in all but I've recently just finished the game and I'm not in the mood to do the same thing again but with a worse version
tongue.gif

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Control takes getting used to, but the game is still good, considering it's for the GBA.
I might actually go out and buy it!
ph34r.gif

Nice tunes!

Saria

The Sage Of The Forest Temple
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have to agree - the controls are awkward - wish they wouldnt make 3rd person games (Original DC Version) isosymmetric - controls are a mix between Resident Evil and Spyro - yuck!!

Basically this is merely another port with a few things altered to suit the GBA - I prefer the DC version.

QUOTE said:
by Nithr0n
and the on-screen direction prompts that come up for the larger graffiti spaces, which used to be quite fluid with a Dreamcast joystick, now hurt your thumb on the GBA's D-pad.
This is a bit disappointing for one of my fave franchises...

They turned that into a D-pad bashing fest - which sucks
these are one of those kinda games that needs analogue controls and was not designed for the GBA - whether the GBA is capable of it or not

* Fumes with disgust
mad.gif

D

DaMaNiAc

The game is pretty good (and yes I'm one of those suckers who got the dreamcast version) but the controld are horrible to be truely honest. It's great in all but I've recently just finished the game and I'm not in the mood to do the same thing again but with a worse versionÂ
tongue.gif
Suckers? It was one of the best games on DC, If not the best

No Name Trowa Barton

Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™
Trophies
Website
www.NoNameTrowaBarton.com
XP
Country
United States
they kept the swishes for graffiti? AWSOME i feared they would go the JSRF way and just have you quickly hit the a button alot of times to get a spray done.

imo the DC version is the best of all 3? why you may ask???
http://www.nonametrowabarton.com/Graffiti.html
thats why
happy.gif

oh how is the music? does this version have LET MOM SLEEP and deadly silent beach? or no?

Crusader

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I never got the change to play the dc version. But offcourse the controls will be better on non-handhelds.

I love it! Only main issue in this game is that u keep bumpin in things. Plus often before your start a mission u don't know what ur main goal is.

A

Azngamer15

is anyone else having trouble with the colors? things that are supposed to be black are pink....

A

Azngamer15

anyone have a solution? combo looks like cotton candy and yo-yo looks like a rock

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played a few levels while waiting between classes. It's pretty fun, but the controls take time to get used to. There is one problem I've stumbled upon. I have a EZF Advance 256mb flash cart, and during the "Monster of Kogane" level, it locked up twice. The first time happened at the beginning. I stepped up the stairs to get the 3 spray cans, then I grinded up the right railing...LOCKUP. Reset the SP and went to the level again. I did the same thing, and grinded up the right again, and it was fine. I went around the level, then fell off and it reset it to the beginning. I stepped up the stairs to get the spray cans, then grinded on the left rail and LOCKUP.

Anyone else have the same problem?
The game locked-up on me too, going up the stairs on the "Monster of Kogane" level. The game was fine after I turned my SP off then on.
I use an Xtreme 512 cart. I know it' can't be the flash cart, since you had the same problem with an EZF Advance 256mb cart.
Also another person posted that some character graphics and colors weren't correct when playing the game.
What's up with this rom? I didn't even rom-trim it, so what's going on?
mad.gif

Maybe just an early pre-production rom with a few bugs still in it?

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've never played the DC nor XBox versions... and i'm glad i havn't or i might be bitchin about the controlls as well. I think this game is absoltly wicked! The grafiti control is a bit frusterating some times (when doing 2 complete circles back to back... that doesn't always work out for me)... but the game play is just fine (or atleast as good as you can expect an isometric skate game to be). I'll be playing this game for quite a while to come... and hopefuly I'll find a copy of the DC version online to download so i can try it it on my friends DC.

BlazeHedgehog

Trophies
Website
www.blazefire.tk
XP
Country
Run over of what the game has:

- Music translated pretty well. Most of it has been "remixed", but only so they could make it shorter so it could loop easier and take up less space -- but it's hardly noticable anyway. It still sounds pretty good.

- Control is exactly like "RC Car" movement in Click and Create. That is to say, you press forward to accelerate and down to slow down, left and right rotates your direction -- once you accelerate you don't slow down naturally, you are always moving. Pressing the R button makes you dash for a "limited" time. I say that because it actually lasts quite awhile. I'll never get used to B being Jump and A being spray. I always end up hitting A to jump or L or B to spray. As far as I know you can't change button setup.

- Graphics are alright. Nothing to write home about but they translated most of JSR's look to the GBA pretty well. But... when it's not actually 3D, well, it's pretty ugly. Sprites themselves look really basic, even if they WERE trying to emulate the "cell-shaded" style.

- Cutscenes are annoying because you can't skip them and they force you to read the text. (IE - it displays text for 20 seconds and you can't skip it.) They're also kind of ugly because the still images they show looked like they got someone with a terrible capture card to get'em straight off the Dreamcast version.

- The timelimit, even on the first level, seems to be REALLY harsh -- I actually ran out of time on my first go. On the first stage. That's really really dumb, I think, as the time limit is one of the worst aspects of the game and I actually welcomed it's removal in JSRF.

- At any time from the pause menu you can change the music you're listening to, to any song in the game
wink.gif

To tell you the truth I haven't gotten past the first stage. The first time I ran out of time and the second time Onishima and his goons cornered me and anally raped me (seriously -- if he shoots at you while you are tagging, you don't get knocked back or anything -- but you still lose health.).

Although I have to say, so far it feels like this game has lost alot of the JSR Magic it had on the Dreamcast. It's just not the same. The music's there, gameplay's there... but... it feels so... lame. I'm STILL getting used to the control... and it's not just control either. It's all those little touches Jet Set Radio had on the Dreamcast. The bustling city full of people, which would dive out of your way if they saw you coming. The mini-cutscenes to show the arrival of the Cops and Onishima.

DJ Prof. K's over-the-top voice and lyrical news updates. All the style, all the substance... it's gone. All you're left with is a watered down Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and a tagging system that doesn't work half as well as it did on the Dreamcast. It's not to say that it's a bad port, it just... feels bad. It feels... rough around the edges. You can feel something's missing from this game. Early on people talked about how Sonic Adventure 2 felt like it was missing it's "soul" -- well, this game feels the same way. It feels shallow.

Look past all that, though, it's still technically Jet Set Radio, Souless or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay