Review Netgear Ethernet-to-Wifi (Model no. WNCE2001) adapter review

Anon10W1z

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intro

So the device is very small, at only 3.2 x 2.44 x 0.7 inches. It is light and comfortable to hold, because of its size and weight (60g). The device comes with a USB cable (for power source), a similar one which plugs into a power outlet (and that is NOT a USB-to-wall plug adapter, unlike what you would expect), some velcro straps (to mount the device on the back of a TV), the device itself, a piece of paper which tells you the device's product website, and an ethernet cable.

Setup

The setup is fairly easy. I will be covering the WPS method because that is the way to go, due to its availability on practically all modern Wifi routers.

First, connect the USB and Ethernet ports to the adapter and the desired device (I use it for a network-ready TV). Now, there is a small WPS button near the Ethernet port on the device. Press that button, run to your router, and press the WPS button on the router. Wait a few minutes, and make sure all 3 LED's on the device are green. Simple!

If you don't want to use WPS, connect the USB and Ethernet ports to your PC. Then, restart the PC. In your internet browser, go to mywifiext.net and complete the setup.

When finished, unplug the Ethernet and USB ports from your PC, and plug them into the desired device.

Usage

This part is easy...all you have to do is harness the LAN capablilities software wise! Basically use the device as if the device was connected via LAN. The device now has wireless capabilities.

Real-world testing

This device was fairly easy to use.At 300Mbps download speeds, this device is extremely fast. I used it with a Sony Bravia HDTV, and Netflix had no need to stop to refresh in the middle of a 2.5 hour movie. I especially like it's small, compact size and feel.

If you plan on using the adhesive strips, be warned - they aren't too strong, and they made the adapter fall from the back of the TV after just 12 hours (morning-night)

Wrap-up

If you plan on not paying a lot for proprietary USB TV adapter, or if you just want to use Wireless LAN on any LAN-only device, then this is the device for you!

*I didn't put the non-WPS setup instructions because it's available on several of the latest and older routers.

The device is on Amazon for $23.99 refurbished.

Changelog:
6/16/12: First version
7/3/12: Revised guide
7/4/12: Added steps for non-WPS routers

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say this is much of a review at all...just saying it exists, and how to use it. No thoughts on ease of use, how well it works, stability, design, anything? Not even an actual link to the product on Amazon?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might wanna add a bit more, like the above user mentioned. Maybe some speed tests, ease of install, usage, compatibility. Even a stock photo would suffice. :)

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have liked some instructions on how to connect to a non-WPS router like mine which I have no intentions on replacing until it starts dropping connections like flies.

nashimid

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Might wanna add a bit more, like the above user mentioned. Maybe some speed tests, ease of install, usage, compatibility. Even a stock photo would suffice. :)
these are great little devices. I have this plugged into my power-line TP link which enables me to have internet in every room. I also have a wifi extender plugged into a power-line so I have the best of both. I then set my mobile as a hotspot and this Netgear device picks it up and sends the signal around the house. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone plan for £15 a month with Three in the UK.... I get about 17mb speeds....perfect for me as I live in the country where the land-line speeds are terrible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun +1