Neophyte in need of help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Heroxl, Jan 22, 2008.

Jan 22, 2008

Neophyte in need of help by Heroxl at 8:06 AM (672 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Heroxl
    OP

Newcomer Heroxl Newbie

United States
    Hey everyone, brand new to this and have been doing a ton of reading on this board and others. Problem I am having is understanding everything. There are so many acronyms and words that I am not familiar with so I apologize for this sort of post, but the FAQs use alot of diction that I don't understand. So, I want to mod my wii to play Brawl when it comes out in Japan and from what I understand I need to use a mod chip (cyclo?) to do this. Then I need to use a brick blocker? Anyways I am just asking for some direction as I am very interested in doing this, but don't want to do it wrong. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

2. dreadbread

Newcomer dreadbread Member

United States
    ok ill try to help with all i know. im new to this scene as well.
    first, you say you wanted to mod your Wii. what is your Wii? US, Jap, or Pal? anyway, to know what mod chip you should install, first go to this site (http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/search.php) and input the serial number of your wii. that will tell what chipset you have and then ask here again what modchip is compatible with your wii chipset.
    second, Brick Blockers are patches you patch on your ISO for it to skip update. not all games needs this but usually this is used when playing import games, meaning lets say you have a Jap Wii and you want to play a US game. you need to patch a Brick Blocker to your ISO so that it will skip the update. but i'll just remind you that is not applicable on every game.
    ISO is the game itself. I got confused with this as well when im starting because they define ISO as the exact image of the game. I was like, "wtf! an image?? what the hell is the use of that?". [​IMG] anyway, ISO is the game itself that you will burn on a DVD.

3. Heroxl
    OP

Newcomer Heroxl Newbie

United States
    Hey thanks for the help it gave me this

Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-DMS.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.

Not really sure what all that means lol, advice?

4. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    DMS is the chip set of the drive. Drive pins not being cut means all the legs on the drive chip are intact , later wiis three were cut to attempt to stop chips being fitting.

Basically it means you get to use any of the older non d2c chips (wiikey etc) , which are 6 or so wires and a nice easy install.

5. Heroxl
    OP

Newcomer Heroxl Newbie

United States
    Nice, thanks armadillo, so whats my next move from here? I heard cyclowiz is pretty good but I think wiikey gets the most coverage. I wish there was like a step by step guide on what I have to do.

6. dreadbread

Newcomer dreadbread Member

United States
    1. buy the modchip that is compatible to your chipset.
    2. install it in your Wii or have someone install it for you.
    Sticky: Opening/Soldering the WII Guide
    3. download games.
    4. burn them after.