Homebrew NeoGeo CD

inacito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Wiimpathy and Jacobeian, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions. First it would be more organized to put all the games folder inside a fixed one, say "neogeocd" instead of directly in the root folder of the SD/USB device.
Secondly, please fix aspect ration when on widescreen TVs. Seen Terry Bogard shorter and fatter is laughable!!!

These are humble suggestions that I think would improve the emulator.

Thanks a lot, I never thought I could play KOF98 in my Wii!!!

Recnal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
AOF3, Cyberlip, Ghost Pilots, KOF series, Last Blade 2, Ninja Commando, Pulstar, Sonic Wings 2, Tophunter etc all work great on this emulator. Never had much luck with Gxgeo but Neocd v0.4 is a revelation with full speed, great sound on all games regardless of file size.
The only problem I've found is that the Wii official classic controller (the first one) doesn't work as a second controller in 2 player games. The analogue stick responds but the d-pad & buttons don't register. It's not a problem as I use a gamecube pad instead.

Thanks to everyone involved in porting this emulator to the Wii !. :)

Acid Faux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.arqueologiadigital.com.ar
XP
Country
Argentina
Great work Wiimpathy! Thanks a lot for perfecting this emulator, it took me a while to get it to work, but when I finally did I was thrilled!

I have one small problem though, maybe someone can give me some advice, I have no problem loading games from the SD card, but when I try to load the same games from an external HDD I can't select a folder, it jumps directly to the bios boot up screen, and then I get a "NO IPL.TXT" error. It's a 500gb disc with one partition in NTFS and the other in FAT32, I tried placing the files in both partitions but I keep getting the same problem, maybe it's the dual partition that's screwing it up?

bm123456

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acid Faux the emulator and all its files need to be on your fat only. the No IPL.TXT problem ,, IPL . TXT is located in your iso , you can use winrar or another program to extract the contents of the iso into its folder then it will load ,

Acid Faux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Argentina
Acid Faux the emulator and all its files need to be on your fat only. the No IPL.TXT problem ,, IPL . TXT is located in your iso , you can use winrar or another program to extract the contents of the iso into its folder then it will load ,

Thanks a lot for the reply, but I'm afraid you didn't really understand what I tried to say! My problem is that I can't load games from an external hard drive, I can run the emulator and load games perfectly from an SD card, I've already tried Top Hunter, Plustar and a few others, but after I change the options so I can load games from a USB storage device and select the "Select New Game" option, the emulator doesn't let me select a folder, it just jumps directly to the bios loading screen and then it gives me the "No IPL.txt" error (with the very same games that load perfectly from the SD card). Like I mentioned before the HDD has two partitions, and one of those is NTFS, maybe that's what's screwing with the emulator?

disaster3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

Thanks a lot for the reply, but I'm afraid you didn't really understand what I tried to say! My problem is that I can't load games from an external hard drive, I can run the emulator and load games perfectly from an SD card, I've already tried Top Hunter, Plustar and a few others, but after I change the options so I can load games from a USB storage device and select the "Select New Game" option, the emulator doesn't let me select a folder, it just jumps directly to the bios loading screen and then it gives me the "No IPL.txt" error (with the very same games that load perfectly from the SD card). Like I mentioned before the HDD has two partitions, and one of those is NTFS, maybe that's what's screwing with the emulator?

Did you know that it uses cIOS 202 as USB 2.0 ?

Please correct me but i see this:
Code:
if(IOS_GetVersion() != 202 && FindIOS(202))
IOS_ReloadIOS(202);
if(IOS_GetVersion() == 202)
{
/* load EHCI module & enable USB2 driver */
if(mload_init() >= 0 && load_ehci_module())
USB2Enable(true);
}

Acid Faux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Argentina
Did you know that it uses cIOS 202 as USB 2.0 ?

No sir, I did not. I just installed the cIOS 202 and now it works like a charm, so here's this for you:
you-won-free-internet.jpg

Thanks!!

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Well, it would also work if you had IOS58 installed and HBC using IOS58, just like ANY other emulators.

Support for Hermes cIOS (Mload) was put here as an alternative (and I did the initial port quite a long time ago, when IOS202 was still used for USB2 by emulators).

Acid Faux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, it would also work if you had IOS58 installed and HBC using IOS58, just like ANY other emulators.

Support for Hermes cIOS (Mload) was put here as an alternative (and I did the initial port quite a long time ago, when IOS202 was still used for USB2 by emulators).

I do have IOS58 installed, my HBC is using it, and I don't have problems with any other emulators recognizing my HDD, but this one simply didn't recognize it until I installed cIOS 202. Soo... I don't know what to tell you.

disaster3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Not sure, but IMHO, more releable to check if an IOS58 exists - if not - just ask user to install it (update HBC), to avoid using any cIOS.
Cannot find any referenses in the source code if IOS58 exists - there is only 202-check...

(sorry for my lame english) :)

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Not sure, but IMHO, more releable to check if an IOS58 exists - if not - just ask user to install it (update HBC), to avoid using any cIOS.
Cannot find any referenses in the source code if IOS58 exists - there is only 202-check...

That's quite simple actually , IOS58 is used by default for homebrew if the HBC is using it. And this will automatically enable USB2 support when the application starts, there is no need to check for its existance or even reload it.

The idea is that, if IOS202 is found, it would be used instead so people who voluntarely wants to mess with cIOS or think USB2 is faster this way (which I'm not convinced at all) are happy too.

Now, not everyone needs USB2 and won't necessarely needs IOS58, so basically forcing them to install it by displaying a message everytime the emulator boots is definitively not a good thing in my opinion...

I do have IOS58 installed, my HBC is using it, and I don't have problems with any other emulators recognizing my HDD, but this one simply didn't recognize it until I installed cIOS 202. Soo... I don't know what to tell you.

Well, that' strange; I had IOS202 installed and I'm not even sure IOS58 existed when I put that code here so I never noticed the issue. Are you loading the app from USB or SD by the way ? I think there was an old issue with USB devices not being detected because they were just shutdown by HBC and needed a slight delay before mounting them again.

disaster3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Jacobeian, could you please provide a source updated to use with new devkitPro? Cause I got a troubles compilling it with all those diropen, dirnext .. :)

(sdfileio.c ?)

Thanks!

Is it possible that the issue with IOS58 caused by old libogc?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Replace

Code:
  struct stat filestat;
by

Code:
  struct dirent *filestat;

and

Code:
DIR_ITER *dir = diropen (thisdir);
if (dir)
{
while ((dirnext(dir, filename, &filestat) == 0) && filename[0])
{
/* Only get subdirectories */
if (filestat.st_mode & S_IFDIR)
{
direntries[count++] = strdup(filename);
if ( count == MAXDIRENTRIES ) break;
}
}

dirclose(dir);
}

by

Code:
DIR *dir = opendir (thisdir);
if (dir)
{
filestat = readdir(dir);
while (filestat != NULL)
{
/* Only get subdirectories */
if (filestat->d_type == DT_DIR)
{
direntries[count++] = strdup(filestat->d_name);
if ( count == MAXDIRENTRIES ) break;
}

filestat = readdir(dir);
}

closedir(dir);
}

in fileio/sdfileio.c

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
About the cios 202, well I'm guilty I'm the one who implemented it and yes its not compiled with latest devkit (can't compile anymore due to old linux).

I was about to post a shitty test version but I'm not sure anymore. I made a silly fix for left border and little additions but ... a little stuck with video, find good ratio, and GX_InitTexObjLOD for example.
Are you interested in improving and give some help for the emu disaster3d ?

I'll contact the other guy (infact) who was working on gamecube version. He wanted to add a libwiigui interface, I don't think it's a priority and would prefer something less wiiish and more sobre or personal but why not.
Hope someone have time (and is able too?!) to go on, cause I'm beginning to lose interest and patience.

disaster3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
At first, Jacobeian thanks for the tips, now it compills with latest devkit and libogc.

I would like to help with the emu, but i am afraid to be not so srong witn C\C++ programming heh, but anyway :)
I'll contact to Infact on gc-forever as well. Apparently i have not so much time to coding, but will try to test and debug some issues as possible.

Hope someone else will cooperate with us on the project . :)

Acid Faux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, I guess the cIOS202 mistery is solved then? Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice guys, and for working on this emulator! I downloaded the whole NGCD romset, converting all the files is not the most thrilling thing ever, but it's definetly worth the trouble.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus