Hardware Negatives of owning a Japanese new 3ds

D

Deleted User

It has a better eshop-think of all the jp exclusives.... also more themes and badge arcade... only downside I see is region locked multiplayer... cause how much do you really read from the menus?

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a n3ds from Japan. I have a9lh installed and I am also using a Emunand with the US Region. To be honest the only issues that I have with this n3ds is that I cannot access the eshop. If I access it under the Japanese Sysnand well i cant read japanese, and under the US emunand I cannot access it. So if I ever actually wanted to buy a game, I am not able to. But all in all, it works just fine.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you can read Japanese, there's no negatives. With regards to the eShop, you can use non-Japanese credit cards to make purchases so that's not an issue. You get the Japanese eShop, which you may see as a positve or negative.

If you can't read Japanese, you might need to rely on internet guides to navigate the settings etc.

Reactions: MajinCubyan

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that you can't use the eShop because the public SecureInfo files have been blocked by Nintendo's servers? And if you use one from a legit 3DS you can have eShop capabilities?

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that you can't use the eShop because the public SecureInfo files have been blocked by Nintendo's servers? And if you use one from a legit 3DS you can have eShop capabilities?
You can use the japanese esho on a japanese n3ds with out any type of problem, the issue is when trying to region change the n3ds and try to access eshop of the new region.

That is misinformation. There are many incorrect posts that will tell you that you need a CLEAN secureinfo A file from the target region to be able to access eshop from another region, but that is false. I have tested clean secureinfo files and they do not work. Its false.

Reactions: dpad_5678

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a n3ds from Japan. I have a9lh installed and I am also using a Emunand with the US Region. To be honest the only issues that I have with this n3ds is that I cannot access the eshop. If I access it under the Japanese Sysnand well i cant read japanese, and under the US emunand I cannot access it. So if I ever actually wanted to buy a game, I am not able to. But all in all, it works just fine.
Do you have to have an emunand to region change? A9HL doesn't require an emunand and I'd like to keep it that way lol aslo I dont care about not accessing the E-shop

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have to have an emunand to region change? A9HL doesn't require an emunand and I'd like to keep it that way lol aslo I dont care about not accessing the E-shop
I have the n3ds with A9HL on the sysnand. I also have an emunand, so I am using both. And my emunand is USA Region. So I have my USA Region Emunand as my default boot option, so I dont even notice any differences. Mayne just a 1-2 second delay on boot. It works just fine.

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a region changed (non emunand, A9LH) small black N3DS, and Freeshop and CIAngel are all you really need. The eShop does not work at all for me, but honestly, I don't need it to. It also plays all of my US game carts perfectly fine, and online as well (though I believe the online portion of the game is based on the game region rather than the system region). Pokemon ORAS also seems to work fine in English, though I haven't tried going online with it.

One thing you need to keep in mind though is game updates--you can't press Y when launching the game to update, it gives back an error code. You either need CIA updates, or to wait for CIAngel to get them and update that way.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Genuine question - if the eShop doesn't work on region changed system software, then why do so many people go to he effort of installing a region changed system software? All current CFW can run all region carts, right?

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genuine question - if the eShop doesn;t work on region changed system software, then why do so many people go to he effort of installing a region changed system software? All current CFW can run all region carts, right?
That is true, In my case for example I have a JAP n3ds. Some menu options and thinks like that I cannot read, but the main issue is with other region CIAs, even though they have english they autodetect the system language and change it to japanese, which I cannot read. So i have a n3ds jap w/ a9lh, and a USA region emunand as my default for the same. So I overcome those issues, and just use freeshop on emunand.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Luma can force region and language these days though, right? I guess most people did the region changing thing before that was a feature.

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would need to have a Japanese address for eshop
Nope. I am from the States. Don't need one.

Had a Japanese 3DS for a few years. Not much for negatives. Downside at first was not being able to play US games on it. Now with Luma, you can. Some Japanese games cost more than the US. But I usually watch to see what the yen is that day so i pay a bit less.

Last edited by Sheimi,

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma can force region and language these days though, right? I guess most people did the region changing thing before that was a feature.
Is it? At least the Japanese NAND does not include the english language, so I am not sure if that is possible. I know that it is region free, but not that it could change languages that way.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
  • Enable region/language emulation: Enables the region/language emulation feature. This allows some games which need a specific language to be set to work, and DLCs for foreign games to load.
    • To use it:
      • Create a folder named locales inside luma/
      • Create a .txt file with game's title id as the name (look them up on www.3dsdb.com).
      • Inside the file,
        • Put 3 characters for the region ("JPN", "USA", "EUR", "AUS", "CHN", "KOR", "TWN")
        • Put an empty space
        • Put 2 characters for the language ("JP", "EN", "FR", "DE", "IT", "ES", "ZH", "KO", "NL", "PT", "RU", "TW").
    • For example, to play Pokémon™ Y in Japanese language and region:
      • Create 0004000000055E00.txt
      • Put in JPN JP
      • Save
Does this feature not achieve this?

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this feature not achieve this?
That is only for individual game languages but i guess it does solve the language auto-detect issue. But I have about 100 games installed... so I would really not look into doing that manually. And it still leaves all of the system language and notifications, etc, in japanese. I think the region-changed emunand works

MegaManZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between a Jap 3DS changed to region changed to be US so it's in english that can't access any eShop and a US 3DS that is already in english and can access it's eShop, Why go to all the trouble of importing one? For the black, non XL N3DS?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between a Jap 3DS changed to region changed to be US so it's in english that can't access any eShop and a US 3DS that is already in english and can access it's eShop, Why go to all the trouble of importing one? For the black, non XL N3DS?
The jpn eshop is still nice. We have the ability to download cias through other methods, there are a lot of exclusives if you actually buy your games. If you find a good seller, they are usually the same price as a n3ds off the shelf here (I think mine was cheaper since no taxes or shipping).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill