Need some opinions for my homework

hobo33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So in my philosophy class we've been given an assignment where we have to ask people the question:

"Do ideas about God make life meaningful? If yes, in what way? If no, why not?"

We're supposed to ask this question to different people and write down their answers.

I've already asked a bunch of my teachers/friends/family, but I'm looking for some other opinions.

So what are your guys opinions/thoughts?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It truly depends on what people's opinion on god is.

In my opinion, if you think god makes you're life meaningful, than that's who you are.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If an individual's views on God require them to act a certain way to get into Heaven, then the purpose and meaning of their life may become getting into Heaven... so yes.
If ideas about God help a person find better understanding of their life, then in a sense, it becomes meaningful.
If ideas about God give inflate an individual's sense of self-importance then yes, ideas about God might make life meaningful. For example, a person may feel God has selected them to carry out a certain task.
Perhaps ideas about God are objective rather than subjective. Incorrect ideas therefore would not make life meaningful.
If God doesn't exist, do ideas about God make life meaningful?
A solipsist might argue that God is another character intended to help the sole person understand life. In this case, the purpose of life is to seek understanding and ideas about God aid an individual in their discovery.
The end result is always death and so it can be argued that life is meaningless if the inevitable outcome remains unchanged after the generation of ideas about God.
If an idea about God is just a personal one, then it doesn't necessarily make life universally meaningful. For a single person, it may, but life for all... not really.
It can be argued that ideas developed prior to ideas about God make life meaningful, thus meaning that ideas about God either don't make life meaningful or add meaning. In this instance, ideas about God don't create a meaningful life.

That's all I can think of now and they're pretty weak. Ordinarily I'd knock up three lots of this but stronger. Too tired and cba to care, though
wink.gif
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could say something but it would probably be a slightly reworded quote or summary of "the hero with a thousand faces".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY